2013 "good"rates

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wonder what that rate sheet looks like in 2013?
Good question, hope you can stomach my answer.

Here are two loads I hauled in the past two weeks. Both cargo van "B" loads:

Load 1: 2 JD bins with steel wheel spacers, 1737#, 472 loaded miles. Customer was billed $739.12. Total linehaul per mile rate $1.57. This info came from the JD Premium Transportation Request bid sheet that the shipper provided. The price of $739.12 was listed as estimated cost, but I would assume that was very close, if not the exact amount charged.

Load 2: 1 crate with a spindle, 1050#, 675 loaded miles. Customer was billed $1110.38. Total linehaul per mile rate $1.65. This was a small company, freight charges were prepaid, the B.O.L. was filled out by hand and in the total charges box, $1110.38 was written.

Both of these loads paid me .77/mile plus .24/mile fsc, so $1.01 all loaded miles. At 58.5% of the linehaul charges, under my old Con-Way contract I would have been paid approximately .92 and .96 a mile respectively. Con-Way would have charged the customer on both these loads $1.69 mile.

These two examples illustrate that my carrier isn't gouging me on my rate. In fact they are making less on these loads than Con-Way would have 16 years ago. Its a shippers market; sink, swim or learn to tread water to stay afloat.

Note: Con-Way sold their expedite division to Panther in 2006. A few years prior to the sale, all O/Os were on a flat rate per mile and structured fsc. Around 2001 or 2002 Con-Way increased their tariffs and for a 5 year anniversary present I got a bump up to 59% which equated to a few cents/mile more across the load range.

Back then fuel for me was running under .10/mile. This week I have been running about .20/mi. and pump prices took a jump yesterday. About the only positive spin I can put on this post is that in 16 years and two carriers my weekly QC fee remains constant at $35. :confused:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Are those all mile rates or just loaded?
If they are loaded miles they are not very good.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I was a production worker for 20 years. I was making a little more than $12 an hour when the factory closed in 1986. I was making $17 an hour in 1998 in another factory when it closed. These hourly wages do not include benefits. Both jobs were in Pittsburgh. If you look in the want ads today most jobs are only paying $9 to $12 an hour. Cost of living goes up while wages remain stagnant. I only put this out there so that you realize transportation isn't the only industry with problems.

RMPM01

Seasoned Expediter
Good question, hope you can stomach my answer.

Here are two loads I hauled in the past two weeks. Both cargo van "B" loads:

Load 1: 2 JD bins with steel wheel spacers, 1737#, 472 loaded miles. Customer was billed $739.12. Total linehaul per mile rate $1.57. This info came from the JD Premium Transportation Request bid sheet that the shipper provided. The price of $739.12 was listed as estimated cost, but I would assume that was very close, if not the exact amount charged.

Load 2: 1 crate with a spindle, 1050#, 675 loaded miles. Customer was billed $1110.38. Total linehaul per mile rate $1.65. This was a small company, freight charges were prepaid, the B.O.L. was filled out by hand and in the total charges box, $1110.38 was written.

Both of these loads paid me .77/mile plus .24/mile fsc, so $1.01 all loaded miles. At 58.5% of the linehaul charges, under my old Con-Way contract I would have been paid approximately .92 and .96 a mile respectively. Con-Way would have charged the customer on both these loads $1.69 mile.

These two examples illustrate that my carrier isn't gouging me on my rate. In fact they are making less on these loads than Con-Way would have 16 years ago. Its a shippers market; sink, swim or learn to tread water to stay afloat.

Note: Con-Way sold their expedite division to Panther in 2006. A few years prior to the sale, all O/Os were on a flat rate per mile and structured fsc. Around 2001 or 2002 Con-Way increased their tariffs and for a 5 year anniversary present I got a bump up to 59% which equated to a few cents/mile more across the load range.

Back then fuel for me was running under .10/mile. This week I have been running about .20/mi. and pump prices took a jump yesterday. About the only positive spin I can put on this post is that in 16 years and two carriers my weekly QC fee remains constant at $35. :confused:

Just yesterday I hauled 1438# load, 272 loaded miles. On the B.O.L. shipping cost was $543.78. That is almost $2.00 per mile or so

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is a rate sheet from Con-Way from 1997. These were the rates they charged their customers, not including FSC, which didn't come into play at that time. I was getting 58.5% of what they charged the customer. By 2003 Con-Way increased their rates and I got a raise to 59%.

I drove for those nazis about a year and some. I was getting about a buck a mile, which wan't too bad for those days...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just yesterday I hauled 1438# load, 272 loaded miles. On the B.O.L. shipping cost was $543.78. That is almost $2.00 per mile or so

And?....so do we at times, even more...but when you are with a flat rate carrier, they will never see that...ya sign for .77 you get .77....you've sold your soul to the company store

RMPM01

Seasoned Expediter
And?....so do we at times, even more...but when you are with a flat rate carrier, they will never see that...ya sign for .77 you get .77....you've sold your soul to the company store

WHAT? What do you mean "so"

I delivered that load for much less then $2.00

Last edited:

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
They're no longer in business. Panther bought them some years ago...

I knew their trucks were long gone.. didn't recall the particulars but I do remember the trucks I've been trucking over 13 years now.. someone in an earlier post had to call me out on that like it was the dumbest question ever because they no longer exist lol.. My point was more along the lines of, wondering how much have risen for carriers.. I'm not talking about what you or I or anyone else in one truck is negotiating or getting, I'm talking about a larger carrier like Conway Now..