2013 "good"rates

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
Read alot about starting this new adventure and people saying "low-ball rates, cheap rates, bottom feeding rates, etc." and thought i start a new post asking for what good rates should be so we're all on the same page with this definition.

I have found good rates in other posts to be the following:
CV $.85 - $1.00 pm incl fsc
CV $1.00 - $1.15 pm incl fsc
CV $1.85 pm incl fsc

ST $1.35 - $1.85 pm incl fsc
ST $1.88 - $2.10 pm incl fsc
ST $2.16 - $2.65 pm incl fsc

TT $2.35 -$2.50 pm incl fsc
TT 2.50 - $2.85 pm incl fsc
TT $2.19 pm not sure about fsc

So experienced expeditors... What Say You????

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Each company is different on rates where some pay low per mile other pay a percent where you can get anywhere from a low 1.1 to a high of over 2 bucks a mile for a van or sprinter.

The same goes for a ST and their rates.

It all comes down to where your leased.

Read alot about starting this new adventure and people saying "low-ball rates, cheap rates, bottom feeding rates, etc." and thought i start a new post asking for what good rates should be so we're all on the same page with this definition.

I have found good rates in other posts to be the following:
CV $.85 - $1.00 pm incl fsc
CV $1.00 - $1.15 pm incl fsc
CV $1.85 pm incl fsc

ST $1.35 - $1.85 pm incl fsc
ST $1.88 - $2.10 pm incl fsc
ST $2.16 - $2.65 pm incl fsc

TT $2.35 -$2.50 pm incl fsc
TT 2.50 - $2.85 pm incl fsc
TT $2.19 pm not sure about fsc

So experienced expeditors... What Say You????

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No person can say what is good or bad rates for the next person. Everyone's needs and wants are different.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

RMPM01

Seasoned Expediter
No person can say what is good or bad rates for the next person. Everyone's needs and wants are different.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

C'mon man, 85cpm is bad. I've never ran for that kind of money, its just not worth it.

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
I know individual needs are different... Not the subject of the post. A new person entering this industry should have a base knowledge of what are " good rates" vs "subpar rates" so they can be informed. If you want to establish an industry "good rate" average for all drivers, then i think this is the post to enlighten upon.

For me, for instance, a good industry baseline would be:
CV $1.00 - $1.30 pm incl fsc
ST $1.35 - $1.65 pm plus fsc at going rates
TT $1.85 - $2.20 pm plus fsc at going rates

Just opinion of course. I know u can get higher rates... The above would be an example of min rates to keep the industry as a whole afloat for all.

RMPM01

Seasoned Expediter
I know individual needs are different... Not the subject of the post. A new person entering this industry should have a base knowledge of what are " good rates" vs "subpar rates" so they can be informed. If you want to establish an industry "good rate" average for all drivers, then i think this is the post to enlighten upon.

For me, for instance, a good industry baseline would be:
CV $1.00 - $1.30 pm incl fsc
ST $1.35 - $1.65 pm plus fsc at going rates
TT $1.85 - $2.20 pm plus fsc at going rates

Just opinion of course. I know u can get higher rates... The above would be an example of min rates to keep the industry as a whole afloat for all.

ST $1.65 - $1.90 :rolleyes:

Edit: Dont forget about cube trucks. My friend takes $1.40 - $1.60

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
C'mon man, 85cpm is bad. I've never ran for that kind of money, its just not worth it.

80-85 is real close to bad no matter...me for example at 24-26 miles a gallon...I can handle that for awhile...key word being "awhile"....but say, the next guy at 15-17 mpg...not so good...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is a rate sheet from Con-Way from 1997. These were the rates they charged their customers, not including FSC, which didn't come into play at that time. I was getting 58.5% of what they charged the customer. By 2003 Con-Way increased their rates and I got a raise to 59%.

Attachments

• Con-Way Rate Sheet.jpg
    Con-Way Rate Sheet.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 85

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
so basically about a $1.00 a mile for anything over 300 miles...just an estimate
Close, $1.01. Pretty much what I run for now which includes fsc. Gasoline was under a buck a gallon then. Before buying my first van, while running numbers, I figured a $1.50/gallon worst case scenario. Man was I ever off!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
16 yrs later and still struggling to make the very same amount....how sad is this business...
Yeah, good thing I don't own a gun or I'd eat it. I don't have the energy to beat myself to death with a wheel chock.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, good thing I don't own a gun or I'd eat it. I don't have the energy to beat myself to death with a wheel chock.

the way this business is evolving (backwards)...we'll be back to dragging our knuckles and using a club...LOL
we have people running around calling themselves leaders of the industry...piffft...them leaders needs to be fired...

Last edited:

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
Some of what i have found from talking with others are as follows(today rates):
Company 1
CV .79-.85 plus fsc
ST 1.35-1.55 plus fsc

Company 2
CV .90-.98 fuel incl
ST 1.20-1.28 fuel incl
TT 1.76-1.83 fuel incl

Company 3
CV .80 flat plus fsc

Company 4
CV .85 with no fsc

These are single dedicated carriers..not broker or multi-carrier rates.

JWilliams

Active Expediter
it still takes x amount of money to live and if you start getting to low with wages it maybe better off not working

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is a rate sheet from Con-Way from 1997. These were the rates they charged their customers, not including FSC, which didn't come into play at that time. I was getting 58.5% of what they charged the customer. By 2003 Con-Way increased their rates and I got a raise to 59%.

Wonder what that rate sheet looks like in 2013?