Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
71,000 miles for the year avg $1.00 per load or empty miles
15 nights out of town

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Nice, it sounds like 2012 was a great year for a lot of people.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

BigCat

Expert Expediter
November and December were awesome for me. The rest of 12 was blah!

2013 is gonna kill it though. Shooting for $70k this year!!!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
71,000 miles for the year avg $1.00 per loaded or empty miles
15 nights out of town

George, those are actually very good numbers, especially when you factor the over nights. I don't think I could have beat that...even in the 1990's in the so called "hay days" of expediting.

nestor7

Seasoned Expediter
I must be working for the wrong company. I was available more days, made less than last year. Company loads are down 35% in the last 5 years, but with fewer drivers. What were once good areas are now mainly dead zones. Happy that so many did so well.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great year for me in a tractor trailer 53' dry van leased on to a company. First full year hauling spot market freight almost exclusively, hauled 1 contract load, 183 from loadboards. $2.19 a mile to the truck on 76,006 odometer miles 23% of which were deadhead. Did a mix of general freight and expedite 4th quarter and was getting good rates. Jan & Feb was still in a learning curve hauled exclusively general freight and didn't do so well. Got into expediting thruogh a chance contact I discovered at the end of Feb and had a wild ride with, to me, crazy rates until the end of June. Did $2.90 a mile to the truck with 25% deadhead on 7,627 miles in May, man it was like wild, wild west hoping this year to see some more of that.. Looking to improve on this by at least 31 cents in 2013 only time will tell.. Took off over a full quarter, solid home time, can't beat that..

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
This was also our best year out of the 10+ years of expediting, unfortunatly the extra profits went into the fuel tank and out the exhaust pipe. :mad:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Great year for me in a tractor trailer 53' dry van leased on to a company. First full year hauling spot market freight almost exclusively, hauled 1 contract load, 183 from loadboards. $2.19 a mile to the truck on 76,006 odometer miles 23% of which were deadhead. Did a mix of general freight and expedite 4th quarter and was getting good rates. Jan & Feb was still in a learning curve hauled exclusively general freight and didn't do so well. Got into expediting thruogh a chance contact I discovered at the end of Feb and had a wild ride with, to me, crazy rates until the end of June. Did $2.90 a mile to the truck with 25% deadhead on 7,627 miles in May, man it was like wild, wild west hoping this year to see some more of that.. Looking to improve on this by at least 31 cents in 2013 only time will tell.. Took off over a full quarter, solid home time, can't beat that..

I did almost the same, $227,950.97 for 103,747 miles or $2.19/mile. The numbers could be better but like you I had a bit of a learning curve because we find our own loads and negotiate. I found out the hard way there are some dead spots that I should've asked more money for and I had to run power only for a month which has lower rates.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
2012 was a record year for Mayfield Express LLC. 2013 will be another record year I'm sure, because we have added more trucks to our fleet. We feel blessed to have such great drivers. :)

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I did almost the same, $227,950.97 for 103,747 miles or $2.19/mile. The numbers could be better but like you I had a bit of a learning curve because we find our own loads and negotiate. I found out the hard way there are some dead spots that I should've asked more money for and I had to run power only for a month which has lower rates.

My boss man said they tried power only before and he won't do it again. However I like having the same trailer 24/7/365 because I know when something is wrong with it.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
My boss man said they tried power only before and he won't do it again. However I like having the same trailer 24/7/365 because I know when something is wrong with it.

It was mostly a waste, trailers that were supposedly road ready wouldn't have plates or they would fail a PTI for serious reasons.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

It's good to know I'm somewhat on par with others doing the same thing. I must be doing something right. While those numbers are above average 53' dry van I still think they are too low and need to be pushed up more. I see no reason why it can't be better next year. My contacts with regular freight are still paying the same great rates here in Jan as they were in Nov and Dec. The stuff I pick off loadboards, which are very specific types of general freight loads, those rates are holding steady too. To the truck this month is looking like it's going to beat Dec by about 20 cents a mile so far but not sure if I'll hit $2.50 a mile.. I really see no reason why I can't do that well or even better in '13. I'm still learning but I have several good connections now whereas this time last year I had none. I've also learned a few things about rates and areas that I didn;t know but my focus still tends to be a small area in a 150 miles radius, although I will glady jump on the load someone fell off of and is a round trip all in rate or close to it and go whereever... Picking and choosing the freight that goes on my truck is the only reason it pulled the numbers it did, I'm sure you will agree with that in your situation as it sounds like you operate the way I do... I wish every owner would work that way and more of them would come to the realisation that they never need ANY given load at ANY time. If all of them realized that then they'd realize what power they really have and none would complain about rates...

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hopefully the freight and rates stay strong.