2010 Hino 268 Intercooler hose compressing

curiousmario

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey everyone hope someone can give me ideas what to do with my hino 268.
While driving the truck started loosing power, so I stopped and checked under the hood and found the hose coming out of the intercooler totally compressed (not allowing air into the engine) I removed the hose from the intercooler and truck was able to accelerate (obviously without the turbo boost it was just doing like 45mph but made it to the yard).

There is a huge wait for the shop to be able to see it so im wondering if there is anything I might do.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like something is blocking the hose.
Do you have any maintenance records for the truck and does it say if anything has been done to that system?

curiousmario

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I replaced the hose this morning, but it does the same, feels like nothing is flowing through the intercooler. is that possible?
Maintenance has been done every month at the dealership (truck runs about 10k a month)

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Look past the hose. Question is that a exhaust line powering a turbo? The blockage is past the hose somewhere your best bet is to see which direction the air flow is and work backwards from the hose.

curiousmario

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Look past the hose. Question is that a exhaust line powering a turbo? The blockage is past the hose somewhere your best bet is to see which direction the air flow is and work backwards from the hose.
Not an expert but ill try to explain.

The hose is air coming out of the intercooler, at the other side is a hose blowing air in from turbo

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Yea that's got something blocking it for it to collapse....think of it like a vacuum cleaner and the hose has been plugged by something at one end.

curiousmario

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was a code for the throttle position sensor. O swap it my other truck (exactly the same) and nothing changes.

So on the intercooler at the front one hose comes from turbo, if I remove the hose I can feel a huge blow by the turbo. Once I put it back to the intercooler I removed the outlet hose (the one getting compressed) to see if equal amount of air is coming out as it's going in, but there is not. Just a small breeze about 8 times less than what is going in I would say.

I saw somewhere (yeah stupid following Google's advice lol) that you can wash the intercooler, so I removed it and cleaned it. There was a ridiculous amount of debris coming out (I assume oil by color), dry it and put it back but the same, almost no air coming out.
I don't know what the code means but look in the fourm here you might find a answer.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Sorry, I've been busy.

There is definitely a restriction in airflow somewhere upstream of the intercooler. Sometimes the hot side of the intercooler gets full of goo. You can look inside with a mirror.
It could be that the air filter is super clogged.
One of the first things I'd look at is the turbo. Between 2008-2010, the turbos were honestly not very good and sometimes they just don't spin. Give the compressor wheel a spin and see if there's any binding. If there is, replace the turbo.

curiousmario

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry, I've been busy.

There is definitely a restriction in airflow somewhere upstream of the intercooler. Sometimes the hot side of the intercooler gets full of goo. You can look inside with a mirror.
One of the first things I'd look at is the turbo. Between 2008-2010, the turbos were honestly not very good and sometimes they just don't spin. Give the compressor wheel a spin and see if there's any binding. If there is, replace the turbo.
Thanks for the reply.

I pulled the turbo hose and it spins freely and no play. Although I did notice a bit of oil on the hose.

I don't know if it's a silly test but I swapped the intercooler with another exact same truck (truck 2) and it works well on that one, and the issue continues on truck 1. As I reassembled everything back on the 2 trucks I got curious and checked the amount of air coming out of the turbo hose, truck 1 turbo spins and blows air but not even close to the pressure of air on truck 2. I reconnected the turbo hose on intercooler of both trucks and removed the outlet hose from the intercooler to compare amount of air coming out of the intercooler and again on truck 1 only feels a little bit of air pressure blowing out and turbo sound it's quite less than on truck 2 (truck 2 almost blows your hand away ).

I had a load on the truck going like 7 miles away from our yard so I decided to drive it with the intercooler outlet hose disconnected (was not the best but needed to avoid a claim on the load) and the truck felt good although obviously without the turbo boost wouldn't go over 50mph and struggled on a little hill on the way.

When I was delivering (after the 7 mile drive) I heard the turbo sound increased, I popped the hood and checked on the outlet side of intercooler and was blowing hard as truck 2! Connected the hose back and the hose didn't compressed and truck felt as it's supposed to. But when I got on the highway once I hit 64-65mph I heard the turbo sound decrease and check engine light came on. Read code P0087 ( fuel rail/system pressure - too low bank 1)

Don't even know if both things are related but I will check for clogged fuel lines today (as you recommended on another thread about this code) and will take it back for a ride and see what happens.

I'll update in the afternoon, any ideas are much appreciated

Reactions: danthewolf00

curiousmario

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok so I checked the fuel lines and tank, no restrictions. Replaced the fuel filter just in case (fuel water separator, I couldn't find the bubbler filter on this truck, I assume this year did not had one cause honestly I looked on every little space)

Took it for a ride and once I reach 64mph I can hear the turbo "cutting" boost and check engine light came back on. This time I have codes p0087 and p0237.

Would you call it as bad turbo? Or some other things I can do to figure it out ?

curiousmario

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry, I've been busy.

So the issue with the hose came back. Took it to the dealership they said the throttle body needed to be replaced (can't understand that) and the fuel filter replaced. They cleared all codes and the truck drove ok for about a day. I'm with the same issue again and now they are saying the turbo boost sensor might be the issue.

On your opinion, could it be?

PS: I followed your instructions on troubleshooting the P0087 code and haven't had any issues about the fuel rail pressure anymore. Found a some debris on the line from the filter to the pump. Thanks for that

Reactions: danthewolf00

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The hose collapsing has nothing to do with the throttle body. The restriction is upstream of the hose. That leaves the intercooler, air filter, and turbo as suspect.

Reactions: curiousmario

curiousmario

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
The hose collapsing has nothing to do with the throttle body. The restriction is upstream of the hose. That leaves the intercooler, air filter, and turbo as suspect.
I'm currently waiting on the new turbo to arrive. Air filter and intercooler has been replaced but still the same. Hopefully turbo (although it boost) it's the problem.

I'll let you know