2010 Hino 258 p0087

Niko

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had a low fuel rail pressure light come on, truck died and won't restart. Replaced SCV, then ran out of ideas. Took to dealer and they said pump, SCV, and all parameters are testing fine. Tried to tell me all 6 injectors could be bad ($5000.00) to replace on a guess. They want to test for compression by removing valve cover. Seems like they are missing something.

Any help would be great.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Had a low fuel rail pressure light come on, truck died and won't restart. Replaced SCV, then ran out of ideas. Took to dealer and they said pump, SCV, and all parameters are testing fine. Tried to tell me all 6 injectors could be bad ($5000.00) to replace on a guess. They want to test for compression by removing valve cover. Seems like they are missing something.

Any help would be great.
There is a fuel restriction. Check the fittings in the tank, and the banjo fittings at the fuel filter. Debris will get stuck here.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Niko

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
The dealer said all of the data checks out ok. I'm going to tow it back and try and troubleshoot it myself. Can't see 6 injectors being bad.

Niko

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
They said pressure to the pump is good, I was worried it was the pump supply at first.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The dealer said all of the data checks out ok. I'm going to tow it back and try and troubleshoot it myself. Can't see 6 injectors being bad.
First, injectors on these are almost always replaced in sets. Especially DPF equipped trucks.

Next, troubleshooting a Hino without diagnostic software is going to be extremely difficult. Do you have DXII software?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Let's back up a second. It died on the road, it was towed to a dealer, they pulled P0087, the confirmed it had fuel pressure. Is this correct?

Pm me your VIN.

Niko

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you tell me any other details about anything? Were you at the shop when they were looking at it? Something here does not add up.

I initially towed it back to my shop (i own a towing business thankfully). I bypassed the tank after the fuel filter direct to pump with can of diesel. No luck, I swapped SCV valve with new one, no luck. I can start it with starting fluid, but then quickly dies after. No symptoms of bad injectors. Just stalled like it ran out of fuel.

Niko

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dealer wants to crack cover to check for compression ( i thought this is done from glow plugs?). They said that is the next step. They advised Hino recommends to replace all six injectors. This seems like they are missing something.