2010 Hino 258 p0087

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Im out of town this week, I like to ask questions first so here goes.
1. What were the set conditions, loaded, unloaded, up a hill, on the highway?
2. You stated you replaced the SCV.. they have changed the part number a few times and you 100% positive you installed the correct SCV?
3. Please tell me you disconnected the Glow plug connector at the back corner of the head before you started it with ether.
4. What is the oil level, and does it appear to be diluted with fuel.
5. Has anyone been under the valve cover in the last year and if yes, what was done?
I have a few tests you can do, please perform them and report back.
It sounds like you have a fuel restriction or lack of pressure, we need to separate the system into sections and diagnose them accordingly. To eliminate the suction side of the system basically do what you did and run good clean fuel to the pump as close to the inlet as possible to eliminate the filter/tanks etc. Remove the inlet banjo fitting to the pump (22mm) use a mirror it inspect the inlet for debris, then with the outlet disconnected from the fuel filter housing blow compressed air through the line. This will ensure the line and pump inlet are free of debris.
Now take a gallon jug of fuel, mark the level, and crank the engine with common rail pressure unplugged (the 3 wire connector on the common rail)and the line stuck in the jug.... Does the fuel level go down as if the pump is sucking fuel?
Next I would suggest putting a charger on the batteries, cracking the inlet fuel line on the common rail (on the top 17mm) do you have a steady stream of fuel ? If so tighten the line then crack the #1 injector line loose while a helper is cranking the engine.. Do you have a steady stream of fuel there? Lets start here and I can instruct further when you collect me some more data.

Niko

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I just spoke to the tech at hino. He said they were getting 5000 psi at the pump. But when I cracked the line before I towed it there, I wasn't getting steady pressure.

Niko

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
They said the only way to check compression is with the truck running, which would require me to replace all 6 injectors at 750 each plus labor.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
They said the only way to check compression is with the truck running, which would require me to replace all 6 injectors at 750 each plus labor.
That is a load of bull. It's checked by pulling the injectors out, bolting in an adapter, hooking a gauge to it, and cranking the engine. There's not a method of doing a 'relative' compression test by evaluating cranking speed either ( international uses this method with their software).

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Hino123

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
So I just spoke to the tech at hino. He said they were getting 5000 psi at the pump. But when I cracked the line before I towed it there, I wasn't getting steady pressure.

5000psi is low to me usually I see 8000psi at idle. The system at full flow makes 21,000- 22,000 psi. If you have no fuel flow to the common rail you could have brand new injectors, and it still will not run.
Taking a half hour to perform those procedures I listed will narrow your issue. You could have multiple issues. We need to evaluate one, before we condemn another.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Edit... I stand corrected, expected value for common rail pressue at idle is 5076psi at 750 rpm. So....... the dealer states you have 5000psi @ idle. Imho you then should have a good stream of fuel at the 17mm line on the top of the common rail. Do you?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Edit... I stand corrected, expected value for common rail pressue at idle is 5076psi at 750 rpm. So....... the dealer states you have 5000psi @ idle. Imho you then should have a good stream of fuel at the 17mm line on the top of the common rail. Do you?
I looked at the DX report. When they were monitoring fuel pressure, they had 'engine drive forced stop' activated. I don't know why they would do this, but would it make a difference?

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
I looked at the DX report. When they were monitoring fuel pressure, they had 'engine drive forced stop' activated. I don't know why they would do this, but would it make a difference?

Yeah I'm not sure, maybe they did not want the engine to start while they were checking pressure? The truck was a no start, so your guess is as good as mine there. Maybe if he suspected a blown tip off an injector he wanted to disable all 6 and see if the fuel pressure went up?
You can check cylinder balance with an oscilloscope by monitoring the current on the batt cable and looking at the cam or crank sensor. Unfortunately we don't have access to the truck. Im hoping that he (Niko) can tell us whether or not he has fuel at the inlet of the common rail.

Niko

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm going to pick up the truck either today or tomorrow. When I get it back here I'll let you guys know. So frustrating.

Niko

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Still working on it, we have fuel at the rail. Almost starts but not quite. Runs for a second then shuts off.

Niko

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wondering if you guys would mind a phone chat. Just to pick your brains. :)

Niko

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update....finally got it started after 4 months of on and off work. I unplugged common rail pressure sensor and bled the fuel lines. Runs a little rough but she runs. I also replaced fuel line from filter housing to back of pump.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Sorry, I was busy all weekend working on the race car.

Have you tried to drive it? Does it behave?

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
There may be debris lodged in the common rail. I have seen multiple times, inj pumps come apart and lodge debris in the flow dampers. Removing and cleaning the rail could be done by an amature in under 2 hours. There are no parts involved just a little labor. Injectors however, are expensive and take 4-5 hours depending.
I would suggest the following. Start the truck and using two fingers pinch the fuel lines from the common rail to the injectors. You should feel a pronounced "pulse" of fuel. If you have one or two lines that have no pulse, or feel weak compared to the others, you may have debris lodged in the rail. I would then COMPLETLEY disassemble the rail and flow dampers and re-install. ( be careful not to loose the copper washer behind the pressure relief valve on the far lh of the rail)
If all feel like they are pulsing a good shot of fuel, then you likley have failing injectors. You may have both. New injectors will not fix a debris in the rail.
If it was me id clean the rail anyway and see if it got better. Its essentially free and its not going to hurt it. The whole fuel system needs to be inspected in this one I think to find your root cause. If you need torque specs or any info id be hlad to help.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Most common debris I find is when the spring comes apart in the pump, and lodges in the back of the flow damper. This basically starves one, or more cylinders of fuel. This is alot easier to find with deal software, but if your "cowboy" troubleshooting you may find an issue here.

Attachments

• IMG_0240.PNG
    IMG_0240.PNG
    923.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0241.PNG
    IMG_0241.PNG
    878.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0242.PNG
    IMG_0242.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Reactions: greasytshirt