2005 M2 A/C Problems

G

We have a 2005 M2 Freightliner and it has been in the shop 6 times for the A/C. 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Not Happy with the M2 still wish they still made the Fl 70.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts Express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dave the A/C in my FL 70 just quit,but after 900,000 miles and lots of use I have no complaints. I agree with you,the FL 70/80 was maligned by some but gave good reliable service to many.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
What type of bunk do you have Dave? Is the problem a leak or electrical. Yes we both would like to have the FL70/80, except for the AC controls.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We also have an M2 2005 and we are going into the shop for the third time this summer for air conditioning problems. We are hoping this will take care of the problem We really do like the though it drives nice and responds well.

paid2vacation

Seasoned Expediter
We had a 2004 Freightliner M2, that was always in the shop for the A/C. Ours had a Alumi-bunk sleeper and our friends have the same truck and problems with a Bentz. So I really don't think it matters who makes the sleeper. We were told by the Frieghtliner Dealer in Birmingham that they went to an air blend system and it sucks. I hope you get it fixed soon, I don't want you to melt away, Dave!!!!! :)

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
Had a 2004 that would not keep a charge long, Was told there was a bad A/C condensor on the truck. Was taken on alot of wear up front an was being pitted with a bunch of tiny holes. Just something else to check out.

AbeJr
(Still slightly a Newbie)
FedExCC
#D6425
OOIDA MEMBER

HoosierHllyBlly

Seasoned Expediter
Dave,

Have you checked the in cab filter. It is located on the passenger side under the dash. I looks like a furnace filter when you pull it out. If it gets clogged it wont let your a/c work right. The 2006 M2 112 I drive also has a/c problems with a truck that has only 36,000 miles on it. Took it to Stoops in Indy to be looked at they checked it out and found no problems but the filter was dirty. But the didnt have any in stock. Hope this helps out. You have my number if you need to talk more about it.

Brad

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We had to have this filter changed as well. It will restrict your airflow too much once it is dirty. Also, there is a replacement Jblock assembly available that should solve your problems if you are constantly losing freon. The J block is the connection assembly between the cab and the sleeper.
We had one repair and had that replaced and so far, no problems other than filter change.
Kinda obvious, but not wanting to assume too much, shut off water to the heater.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Hey Dave, We knew someone that purchased a new M2/112 last year and had to take it in the shop twice for the a/c seems if I remember there was a design flaw in the pressure line and they had to try a few diffrent applications before the problem was resolved. I imagine they would have a silent campaign for such a problem...doesn't hurt to ask
Mike and Cyn

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Since we have a dog we keep the filter changed often. Last time we where in the shop they replaced a resistor in the line evacuated the system to see what the volume of the Freon was left and then recharged the system. That lasted about a month. Stopped at a TA and when the system is under pressure the condenser is leaking like a sieve from a crack. The problem with that is Freightliner has a shortage of condensers. We are hoping they have found one when we put the truck in the shop next week.

G

Yea Brad the Filter was replaced, After 3 condensors and 3 A/C pump's this is getting me to where I don't want to buy another Freightliner Business Class truck.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Three condensors and three compressors in a year old truck? It seems they are looking in the wrong place. It sounds like it is losing freon at the Jblock which in turn is blowing the seal on the compressor.
Let us know what they eventually figure out.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hey Dave
What was the outcome of your a/c issue?
Thought I would bump this up.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

G

it's At Fyda Freightliner in Youngstown, Ohio. We couldn't get it fixed on the road because they didn't have the parts plus the drivers didn't want to wait 3 days in a hotel to get it fixed so they waited until they came home.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ok.
Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the update.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

G

Fyda Called me today said they didn't have the parts to fix my truck either after I called them over a week ago and told them what was wrong with it. Been having trouble with place the last 6 months and don't think we will be sending any of our trucks there again.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
A week is a long time. Where are your parts coming from?....Germany?
Sounds like they actually forgot to order them, or can't figure what is wrong with it.
It does seem like it is a real struggle to get any kind of parts from FL. Then you have to argue with them because every part has to be overnighted which of course is another charge.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator