2004 Sprinter Limp Mode

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
that doesn't make sense,
Yeah, 'cause everything else about a Sprinter makes perfect sense. :D

the time line.....you had the problem BEFORE the EGR cleaning...going into limp mode....you had the limp home problem? ...then a coolant leak problem?
LHM due to dirty EGR valve. Then they cleaned the EGR valve, and when they resinstalled the EGR valve the stripped the bolt holes on the EGR valvle, which caused not only a coolant leak but a boost pressure leak. Repaired bolt holes, coolant leak stopped, pressure leak gone.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

LHM due to dirty EGR valve. Then they cleaned the EGR valve, and when they resinstalled the EGR valve the stripped the bolt holes on the EGR valvle, which caused not only a coolant leak but a boost pressure leak. Repaired bolt holes, coolant leak stopped, pressure leak gone.

that timeline works....thanks

seekerman

Expert Expediter
that doesn't make sense, the time line.....you had the problem BEFORE the EGR cleaning...going into limp mode....you had the limp home problem? ...then a coolant leak problem?

The coolant leak only started after the EGR cleaning. By the bolt holes being stripped in the manifold, the EGR didn't bolt down tightly enough when putting it back on after the cleaning, thus allowing coolant to escape. Rusty at Jim Cogdill verified that the EGR had been cleaned, it was just bad and showed me why. Now, I will readily acknowledge that the bolt holes may have been stripped when the EGR was replaced 250,000 miles ago and taking the EGR off to clean it may have been enough to further loosen the bolts in the hole to cause a loose fit to the manifold, thereby causing the leak. And if I've hastily misjudged Courtesy and have wrongly accused them for causing the problem, then I would owe them an apology. It's just that the "tech" was clearly out of his element in dealing with the problem, and I assumed that when they discovered that I wasn't going to have work done there they were in a hurry to get me out of the shop. I may be wrong in blaming them for the problem.

seekerman

Expert Expediter

LHM due to dirty EGR valve. Then they cleaned the EGR valve, and when they resinstalled the EGR valve the stripped the bolt holes on the EGR valvle, which caused not only a coolant leak but a boost pressure leak. Repaired bolt holes, coolant leak stopped, pressure leak gone.[/QUOTE

Nope, I was in limp mode when I took the vehicle into Courtesy. The limp mode was not caused by anything they did. I took it there to have it scanned, there was an EGR code, and I had them clean the valve. I was pointing out that I only developed the coolant leak after they took the EGR off to clean it, and the problem with the coolant leak was properly diagnosed by the tech in Knoxville who ultimately put the new EGR on. When he tried to tighten the bolts down, they would not tighten. It was then that he discovered the holes had been stripped and pointed out that that was the reason I had been losing coolant.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
so here is a first for me....was so patting myself on the back....I changed out my blower motor in the yard, turned the key...nothing grrrrrrrr...still had to go to Waynes in Toledo....tested the power access it tested it had 12V....why no power?....tried a different motor, NO go, tried another NO go........but yet there was power in the connector......

FUSE!!! the fuse had MELTED in a way there was enough power trickling thru to throw a false positive but nothing more....gee whiz.....talk about a quirk....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It has to do with age. Of the driver AND the vehicle.

With our aging workforce, are we far from a $printer Driver Limp Mode thread ?

seekerman

Expert Expediter
so here is a first for me....was so patting myself on the back....I changed out my blower motor in the yard, turned the key...nothing grrrrrrrr...still had to go to Waynes in Toledo....tested the power access it tested it had 12V....why no power?....tried a different motor, NO go, tried another NO go........but yet there was power in the connector......

FUSE!!! the fuse had MELTED in a way there was enough power trickling thru to throw a false positive but nothing more....gee whiz.....talk about a quirk....

d
Does that mean you didn't need a blower motor and it was just the fuse?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
d
Does that mean you didn't need a blower motor and it was just the fuse?

the blower motor blew out the speed control resistor at first as the tension on the failing bearings draw more power and poof....left with just high speed fan....and it appears if you go long enough the blower motor just blows out the main fuse under the seat as a reminder to change the blower out.....LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
remove insulation on firewall if you still have it there.....

three screws hold fan in place.....remove 3 screws, unplug unit.....toss it out.
plug new unit in, place in position and tighten the 3 screws...return insulation if you have it still and viola....10 minutes tops and you saved $100....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The problem was the German fuse. They just don't want to give up.

Use a French fuse next time.

seekerman

Expert Expediter
the blower motor blew out the speed control resistor at first as the tension on the failing bearings draw more power and poof....left with just high speed fan....and it appears if you go long enough the blower motor just blows out the main fuse under the seat as a reminder to change the blower out.....LOL

I've got a bad resistor too. Only blows on high. Been lazy about replacing it. Been meaning to order one for months but, as usual, will probly put it off until something unpleasant happens.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got a bad resistor too. Only blows on high. Been lazy about replacing it. Been meaning to order one for months but, as usual, will probly put it off until something unpleasant happens.

sometimes it is because the blower motor bearings put extra load on it that the resistor blows...so put a blower motor on your shopping list...they are small enough to carry around till you want to change them out in the nice weather....save yourself tons of $$$$$'s....

seekerman

Expert Expediter
sometimes it is because the blower motor bearings put extra load on it that the resistor blows...so put a blower motor on your shopping list...they are small enough to carry around till you want to change them out in the nice weather....save yourself tons of $$$$$'s....

Gotcha. Thanks!