2 skids vs 3 skids, how often in van

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Yes, moot I have & they are a "blast" yet the 3.7 & 3.5 non turbo seem to have lower cost of ownership, the quickness is not an important factor to me.

Reactions: Turtle

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't see many guys running 2 skid vans these days. I haven't done much expediting since rates dropped off around 2015 or so but I went to a 158 Sprinter around that time.

Promaster2016

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a Promaster owner, I've found that the 3 skid capacity my company requires isn't nearly as significant as the increased weight capacity. I get loads over 3000 lbs, and occasionally right at 4,000 lbs. I would likely not change anything if I were an independent.

Reactions: Charity's Van

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a Promaster owner, I've found that the 3 skid capacity my company requires isn't nearly as significant as the increased weight capacity. I get loads over 3000 lbs, and occasionally right at 4,000 lbs. I would likely not change anything if I were an independent.
I hope you are getting at least $1.25/mi for those 3-4000 lbs loads. Too much wear and tear on that vehicle for anything less. JMHO.

Reactions: piper1

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Crunch the numbers, does the availability of 3 skid or odd loads justify the cost of the transit or promaster, sprinter. The shipper & carrier always want the new expensive truck for the load because it is representing the carrier. But as independent business people you have to make the best decisions for you.
Having said that, you can always find used vans for about or close to the same price. I have both, chevy 3500 extended and sprinter.
I have 2 sons 1 has a diesel promaster the other runs a transit 3500. The chevy & the transit are bullet proof. The diesel promaster isn't worth it, its complete garbage it breaks and no one works on them. All do the exact same loads the same rates. To me its about profit how much are money we have in our pocket at payday, so to speak.

Sent from my SM-G973U using EO Forums mobile app
The Transit is the best. Having a five year old or newer vehicle requirement is a good thing for both carrier and driver. Where I have a problem is every shipper and carrier wants the longest, tallest, newest vans, but they are still paying 80 cents per mile. It's not worth it for the driver. We are away from home for weeks at a time with expensive equipment, yet they pay us peanuts. Shippers and carriers should have to pay for that extra space and new equipment.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As they say, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I retired 9 years ago. If I were going back out I'd get the longest, tallest van available. My sleeper was always the maximum area not occupied by freight. I drove a G3500 so the rear wheels were near the back of the van. I could load toward the rear without ruining weight/balance. Left me nice space usually. Good luck with your decisions.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
That 3 pallet space can help get you out of some areas you might not get out of faster with just 2 slots for pallets.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been in the game for quite awhile, new to the forums though. I am going to replace my Express 2500 extended with a new Transit. With my small sleeper in my Express in allowed for 2 skids. Debating on if its worth getting an extended Transit for the capability of 3 skids or just to stick with the long Transit with the capability of to skids. I know I can devise a sleeper in the long bed to accept 3 skids but I do not care to have a flipup bed etc....

So my question is:

If your van is capable of 3 skids, how often do you get a 3 skid load on the average.

1 a week?
1 a month?
1 every other month?
Etc, etc...

I am aware that at times the capability of 3 skids can make the difference between sitting or not.

Just wanted a ballpark average.

Thanks in advance for any information
When I got into expedite years ago I had it set up to where I would carry three skids. But it was maybe every couple of months where I got three skids so it didn't seem like it was worth destroying my sleeping area. (Also sleeping in the front seat sucks)

Personally never saw the benefit of it as they didn't pay any better. However the upside is you have that cargo capacity to potentially get a load that someone else can't. But you have to be careful with that because dispatchers will sometimes reserve your van. Meaning that they will wait to give you freight because they are trying to get a larger load.

From my experience at least.