2 skids vs 3 skids, how often in van

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Been in the game for quite awhile, new to the forums though. I am going to replace my Express 2500 extended with a new Transit. With my small sleeper in my Express in allowed for 2 skids. Debating on if its worth getting an extended Transit for the capability of 3 skids or just to stick with the long Transit with the capability of to skids. I know I can devise a sleeper in the long bed to accept 3 skids but I do not care to have a flipup bed etc....

So my question is:

If your van is capable of 3 skids, how often do you get a 3 skid load on the average.

1 a week?
1 a month?
1 every other month?
Etc, etc...

I am aware that at times the capability of 3 skids can make the difference between sitting or not.

Just wanted a ballpark average.

Thanks in advance for any information

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my experience I've run a lot more 3 skid or 11-12' loads over the past couple of years than before that. I don't know if shippers are being smarter (that's a stretch) or it's just happened but it's enough that I would recommend the length where in the past not so much. I have no hard numbers to back it up.

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks danthewolf. I know it will get me out before the 2 skid Van's. Just kinda wondering the how often average (3 skid loads)

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
That 3 skid capacity will get you the weird loads out in the middle of nowhere...
Like branson,mo to Seattle,Washington with a custom order from a pella window factory....glass sliding patio doors 14 ft tall and 40 inches wide...pita to load and unload.....but all i had to do was strap it down really well!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Then there’s always the chance that the dispatchers will save you for a 3 skid load and pass a 2 skid load to a driver with a shorter van, even if you should have been first out.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Interesting point billg27, do you feel that happen to you in the past??

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Then there’s always the chance that the dispatchers will save you for a 3 skid load and pass a 2 skid load to a driver with a shorter van, even if you should have been first out.

That's where trust comes into play. I've found many times I get a load ahead of a 2 skid van due to the shippers request for 12' only to find it's 1 or 2 skids due to not having enough parts ready or them just playing it safe.

Reactions: piper1 and ntimevan

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

It never happens to me because I’m with a smaller company and no matter where I am, I’m always alone and that makes me first out. It’s more a problem when larger carriers have numerous vans within a few miles from each other.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Usually my 3 skid loads will often come in bunches and then disappear for a period of time, then they appear again.

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I first had my Transit I gave my carrier 144" to try out the 3 skid theory. I can't say for certain that I have been passed over but when I was Canadian qualified I definitely skipped over. It all depends on the carrier. With a smaller carrier 3 skid capacity may be the way to go if you don't mind sleeping across the front seats.

If I recall, I had two 3 skids loads that delivered direct so I didn't need my bed. But it was a hassle. I like a permanent bed. After about six weeks I changed my cargo dimensions to 120". I can still fold my bed to accommodate longer freight if necessary but that choice is mine. I can choose to take dry run pay or renegotiate the load pay to take the load while at the shipper.

Reactions: RoadTime and kg

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
... I've found many times I get a load ahead of a 2 skid van due to the shippers request for 12' only to find it's 1 or 2 skids due to not having enough parts ready or them just playing it safe.

I see this a lot. About 20% of the 3 skid loads actually turn out to be 3 skids. I think if the original shipper order a "van" and the load washes through a couple of brokers/# PL's before it gets to me "van" turns into "Sprinter" which implies 3 skids/12 feet when it really would have fit in an old school van. Guess it depends on how many people are between you and the shipper.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I think you can go with any company in a 3-skid. Not all of them will sign on a 2-skid. Might be important to you in the future if you want to seek different pastures.

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
No name, Pretty much what I was thinking hence the getting others opinions, decided I will go Transit Long & Tall. Now to figure out 3-skid cargo area with a dedicated sleeping area.

robin280

Seasoned Expediter
I have a bed that flips up and attaches to the wall like a Murphy bed. I have my clothes and what not in plastic totes. I removed my front seat so I have storage there, also. When I get a longer load I can stack my totes up behind my front seat area. That makes it twelve and a half feet. I turned down a load on a Friday once because it was 3 pallets and could not be delivered till Monday. I told the dispatcher I needed more money for a hotel room or to be able to direct deliver. I have only had to sleep in my driver's seat for a few hours once in a while.