2-Skid Cargo Van: Expediting Dinosaur??

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
OK, here's my situation:
I have a 2 yr old Ford ext cargo van, currently running with an East Coast courier. Pay stinks, but I'm home almost every nite. Yadayada.. Pay stinks. So I want to go back to OTR expediting with my van. (Not a newbie, ran with Roberts/FedEx 92-03)

However, I CANNOT get this van signed with any major carrier! FedEx: Wont put me on. Panther: currently NOT putting on vans, after merger with ConWay. UPS: never returned call from 2 weeks ago, and now, their "voice mailbox is full". Bolt Express: Not putting on vans. Tri-State: ditto. Last I heard, Express-1 wants 3 yr. old max vans and Sprinters.

Does anyone out there know who I should try next?? LEA maybe? TST??Have I missed anyone??? I'm leery about a small midwest-oriented carrier who may not be able to occasionally get me home to Philly area. (But if thats ALL I have, Ill stay out until I get a "close to home" load.) That's even IF the smaller cos. are taking on any vans!

Is my "small" van a dinosaur nowadays? Or is there someone still needing one. Any info would be of great help. Thanx in advance.

TPUSA

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Trust me, the companies are doing you a big favor by not signing you on. With the glut of vans, most co have right now, you and the other drivers would just starve.

I/WE saw the handwriting on the wall a few years back. We got out of the van and went to a "C". We have been busy ever since.

targuard86

Expert Expediter
Try Eagle Global Logistics. They have local and expedited runs. They have vehicles leased to them and also have agents that work for them but operate under their own authority.

Becomming an agent is a Royal Pain in the tail so if your interested in going that route send me an email and we might be able to work something out to allow you to lease to me and my company put you with EGL. Thats assuming you and your vehicle would qualify with my insurance company.

Andy
[email protected]

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Dynamex is based in Dallas with offices in every major North American city. They were once owned by Air Canada.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

T.V. - Why do you think they call it programming?

No, YOU suck. - the mean people

"Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States." - J. Bartlett Brebner

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure. - I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Become who you are. - Nietzsche

Whoever coined the phrase "Quiet as a mouse" has never stepped on one.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
Thanks for fast response! Does Dynamex run vans like Panther or FedEx CC? Or is it mostly airport and short stuff. I know nothing about them, and couldnt find a webpage with their truck specs or pay rate, etc..

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The day is here more Companys are Just Taking Sprinters on...so When my GMC is wore out I see a Sprinter in my Future.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
> The day is here more Companys are Just Taking Sprinters
>on...so When my GMC is wore out I see a Sprinter in my
>Future.

I agree & disagree. I totally agree that's what companies would prefer & at least for awhile things will go in that direction. I also think what's gonna happen is that so many drivers will go under because of maintaining those things that companies will then come back to accepting vans.

If companies are paying a C rate for Sprinters I can actually kinda see having one, even if I don't care for the vehicle. I sure as chyt wouldn't be buying a Sprinter for 77 cents a mile though.

Take care,
Danny

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I got 11-12 MPG with the Ford van. With the Sprinter, it varies between 18 and 23, depending on how I'm loaded and how fast I drive, but overall it's right as 21 MPG.

At $2.50 a gallon, it cost me 20.8 cents a mile to move the Ford. It's 11.9 with the Sprinter. That's an 8.9 cent a mile difference. At 2000 miles a week, that's $178 less I'm spending on fuel, more than $700 over a month's time.

I can stand up in the Sprinter, which is the important thing. :)

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
This sounds more like a problem with YOUR Ford van though. I get around 17-18mpg on my gasser Ford, even loaded. Diesels will get 21 on the hwy as well. A diesel Sprinter will definitely get better gas mileage than the new gas ones they're puttin' out, just by nature of the torque produced.

Business is down for vans in ALL sectors of transport right now. I do airport p & d. When it is busy, I am busy. When it slows down, the vans are the first to sit.

If you are wanting more height, I would suggest a bubble top for your van, and get the doors extended taller as well. It has been my experience, than when fuel prices start dropping, the freight moves more freely.

As for the poor prices that DannyD has mentioned, it is obvious that van rates are bottom-of-the-barrel right now. Van is an easy entrance for many into the buiness, especially with the current HOS policies. If HOS rules amend for more flexibility, you may see more people getting other vehicles. For awhile many carriers brought on vans, vans, and more vans. Just the way things have been. A van driver may need to shop around a bit more to find a spot right now.

Just remember: What ever your situation is right now, it will undoubtably change again. HANG ON!!

Drive Safe!

Jeff

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
>I got 11-12 MPG with the Ford van. With the Sprinter, it
>varies between 18 and 23, depending on how I'm loaded and
>how fast I drive, but overall it's right as 21 MPG.
>
>At $2.50 a gallon, it cost me 20.8 cents a mile to move the
>Ford. It's 11.9 with the Sprinter. That's an 8.9 cent a mile
>difference. At 2000 miles a week, that's $178 less I'm
>spending on fuel, more than $700 over a month's time.

Are you driving a box truck or something? I have an E-250 & am getting in the 18-19 range on the highway & maybe 17-18 overall. Plus w/ gas being $2.35 vs. 2.91 for diesel the milage is pretty much a wash. If ya were only getting 11 mpg in a van, ya might have needed a tune up or something. Before I got mine, I was in the 16-17 mpg range, after it I went to the already mentioned 18-19.

>I can stand up in the Sprinter, which is the important
>thing. :)

This is one where personal preferences come into. I totally respect your opinion here. I'm of the opinion that being able to stand up in the van is nice, but it's not THAT important. On a windy day, my Sprinter was 2 hands tight on the wheel driving. I even recall a certain stretch of I-275 in Michigan that I drive on a lot where I wouldn't even take my hands off the wheel to take a swig of soda. In my Ford I don't have that problem. When I went back to my Ford, I bopped my head on the ceiling a few times for sure in the first week or so, but quickly got the hint that the ceiling wasn't gonna give any. :7

I just don't think the van is going to become extinct like the 8 track player did in the music business. I think that companies would like Sprinters, but I don't think enough drivers are going to find them to be a profitable thing to get to do this kind of job. Since only a limited amount of people are going to buy Sprinters for this, then the companies that still need freight shipped but can't find Sprinters are going to have to send their freight via a van.

My take on it is if Sprinters are paid a higher rate for all runs, not just 3 skid runs, then I can see where it may be the way to go. If they're paid at the same rate as a Ford or GMC van, then ya need other reasons (like using the extra room as a sleeper or something) to get one.

Having said that, if it's working for you I tip my hat to ya. I also tip my hat to anyone else that it's working for. I just think that most people who get one & are paid the B rate won't find it to work for em.

Take care,
Danny

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
"C" rate HAH!! where'd ya hear that one?? No such thing where I am, Yes since the Sprinter is large enough to technically carry three pallets and around 3k lbs, there should be a special rate when you get a larger than standard van size load, but there is no "C" rate with us. whoops there I go again, thought I was off my soapbox....:7 So anyone thinking of getting a Sprinter in hopes of getting more freight, higher rates etc....do your research and get that "C" rate in writing, preferrably in BLOOD, blahhhhh! }>

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Danny,

mine was an E-350. The 11 MPG included all miles divided by all gallons used, in other words, that included idling time. I got about 17 or so highway, 15 or so city, give or take. The addition of an Espar heater made a dramatic difference, of course.

I haven't found the Sprinter to be nearly as difficult in the wind as I was expecting. In some cases, the Ford even handled worse. I'm making my way from Omaha to Syracuse, stopped for a nap and a shower in Davenport, and it's been a very windy day, but the Sprinter hasn't tried to run off the road, yet. I'm not clipping my nails as I drive, tho, that's for sure. hehe

A Sprinter is going to make more sense for some people, less for others. When I go out I'm out here for 2 or 3 months at a time, so for me, comfort is a large part of it. I've got 9 feet for cargo (2 skids) and the rest is where I live. Still working on it, but eventaully my little 5 feet of living space will be like an RV, with satellite TV, Espar heater, AC, generator, MicroFridge, 4 deep cycle batteries, and a 3000 watt inverter, among other things.

Now, I will admit to getting a killer deal on this Sprinter, however I was in the process of ordering a new one exactly the way I wanted it. It was going to be April before it came in, though, and then I stumbled upon this one. A guy who lives near me bought this one a year ago in May to haul barrels up to Kentucky from Texas. All that fell through, and he never hauled anything. He made a trip to Texas and back, twice, and put a total of 4100 miles on it, and then parked it in his driveway for a year.

All he wanted for it was what he still owed on it at the bank, which was $29,000. :)

I put down 9 grand, and am paying $500 a month on a 4 year note. It sure beats having to get dressed while being doubled over. ;)

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
My comment:

My take on it is if Sprinters are paid a higher rate for all runs, not just 3 skid runs, then I can see where it may be the way to go. If they're paid at the same rate as a Ford or GMC van, then ya need other reasons (like using the extra room as a sleeper or something) to get one.

Turtles comment:
>A Sprinter is going to make more sense for some people, less
>for others. When I go out I'm out here for 2 or 3 months at
>a time, so for me, comfort is a large part of it. I've got 9
>feet for cargo (2 skids) and the rest is where I live. Still
>working on it, but eventaully my little 5 feet of living
>space will be like an RV, with satellite TV, Espar heater,
>AC, generator, MicroFridge, 4 deep cycle batteries, and a
>3000 watt inverter, among other things.

Exactly, in your case it makes sense. You have those "other reasons" so to speak to have one. I just think that most people who get a new one will find it to be unprofitable to take B runs. Which leads to your point below.

>Now, I will admit to getting a killer deal on this Sprinter,
>however I was in the process of ordering a new one exactly
>the way I wanted it. It was going to be April before it came
>in, though, and then I stumbled upon this one. A guy who
>lives near me bought this one a year ago in May to haul
>barrels up to Kentucky from Texas. All that fell through,
>and he never hauled anything. He made a trip to Texas and
>back, twice, and put a total of 4100 miles on it, and then
>parked it in his driveway for a year.
>
>All he wanted for it was what he still owed on it at the
>bank, which was $29,000. :)

You got a used one that had already depreciated. The guy who owned it before you took the major $$ devaluation on it. If the thing has 4000 miles on it & he took a 10K loss (just guessing here) that thing cost him $2.50/mile to have. So he took the major hit.

You are making out like a bandit. I'm not challenging that in the least. I think even you'd have to admit that most people aren't going to make out as well as you are though. Somewhere in one of these posts I'm pretty sure I said I wouldn't buy ANY new vehicle to do this job. Liking/not liking a Sprinter is a personal choice. I personally don't care for em but I know not everyone is gonna think like me. If someone likes em that's what the person should get IF it makes financial sense. No sense in having a vehicle that ya like but can't pay for.

So after finding the vehicle ya like, then it comes down to is it a good financial decision? I'd say "no" for most people getting a new vehicle, be it a Ford, GMC, Sprinter, or other. There are exceptions, but for most people I'd think getting a vehicle 2-3 years old is the best way to go.

To you I'd tip my hat at getting into a vehicle situation that works out perfectly for ya. To anyone entering this field (or even people who've done it for awhile) I'd still advise em to not get a new Sprinter (or any new vehicle) for this job.

Continued Success,
Danny

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since getting our Sprinter we've been able to grab close too or exceed the monthly payment on upgraded loads. Dynamex has a standard van rate, a one Ton rate and will go to a C rate. We've gotten as high as $1.30/mile plus FSC for one load. Sure beats 77 cents

Reasons for gettimng a Sprinter?
1. Comfort- after 4 years ina tuna can plus the fact we are a team. We deserved some comfort!
2. The cliental- We knew our customer needs. This is also an important consideration.
3. We just plainly said, we like the Sprinter.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
>Since getting our Sprinter we've been able to grab close too
>or exceed the monthly payment on upgraded loads. Dynamex has
>a standard van rate, a one Ton rate and will go to a C rate.
>We've gotten as high as $1.30/mile plus FSC for one load.
>Sure beats 77 cents
>
>Reasons for gettimng a Sprinter?
> 1. Comfort- after 4 years ina tuna can plus the fact we are
>a team. We deserved some comfort!
> 2. The cliental- We knew our customer needs. This is also
>an important consideration.
> 3. We just plainly said, we like the Sprinter.

Yes, increased rates is a reason to get one. No one's challenging that. Good for Dynamex that they pay ya more for a bigger vehicle. What a concept!! :7 If you get enough increased rate loads w/ the thing then it's worth it. And as a team ya have more room.

What I'm wondering though is if ya were solo would ya get a new one if your rate was going to stay at 77 cents/mile no matter what kind of vehicle ya had? And if not, what kind/year of vehicle would fit your needs/budget in that case?

Be well,
Danny