2 ?s - 1) Canada 2) D.O.T. physical

zocco

Seasoned Expediter
Question 1) I've done my research. Looks like I get conflicting answers. Is it worth it to go into Canada or do you lose in the long run? (Looking to drive straight truck or van -solo - driving for owner). I have no criminal so crossing border not a problem itself.

Question 2) I'm going to get my D.O.T. physical out of the way with my own doctor since I know company doctor is just going to send me back to mine anyway (heart murmur - I have passed in past -I am healthy). Seems like there are two forms short/long form, which do I use? If my doctor doesnt have one where do I get a copy of form?

Oh yeah third question. I will be starting in April - maybe March but April more realistic (need to take care of some things especially since I plan to stay out except for holidays and other occasional rare stops at home). Do I start regestering now with the companies on my short list (from my research on this site) or is it too early where I'll just get lost in the shuffle. I don't want to wait to close too the time and end up waiting around way past april for a truck. Looking for straight truck (may consider van) solo, hazmat endorsement, CDL A, can cross border (depending on answer to my question at top of post) clean driving record. Thanks for any advice and help.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Every run has to be taken as a seperate business decision, including Canadian runs. Some are worth it, some are not. The new speed limiter regs Ontario and Quebec might change my outlook on that but as of now I use my normal citeria to decide if a Canadian run will make us money. Layoutshooter

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Question 1) I've done my research. Looks like I get conflicting answers. Is it worth it to go into Canada or do you lose in the long run? (Looking to drive straight truck or van -solo - driving for owner). I have no criminal so crossing border not a problem itself..

You will continue to get conflicting answers until the end of time because every run offer is different. Layoutshooter is right. Evaluate the load like you would any other; however, you may want to increase your per mile requirement to compensate for delay time and dead head out.

Question 2) I'm going to get my D.O.T. physical out of the way with my own doctor since I know company doctor is just going to send me back to mine anyway (heart murmur - I have passed in past -I am healthy). Seems like there are two forms short/long form, which do I use? If my doctor doesnt have one where do I get a copy of form?..

Our carrier sent us their long form which we carried to the Doc. That may be a good reason to check with the carrier you have chosen before getting the physical. Otherwise, where we live (FL) you can pick up a form at any medical clinic that offers DOT physicals.

Oh yeah third question. I will be starting in April - maybe March but April more realistic (need to take care of some things especially since I plan to stay out except for holidays and other occasional rare stops at home). Do I start regestering now with the companies on my short list (from my research on this site) or is it too early where I'll just get lost in the shuffle. I don't want to wait to close too the time and end up waiting around way past april for a truck. Looking for straight truck (may consider van) solo, hazmat endorsement, CDL A, can cross border (depending on answer to my question at top of post) clean driving record. Thanks for any advice and help.

It appears that you may be assuming that you will be able to "qualify" for any company on your list. That is like assuming that you qualify to purchase a home only to find out later that there is some hidden problem that you were unaware of. I would recommend contacting your company of interest ASAP to make sure that they are in fact bringing on Solo drivers from your geographic area. Then get qualified ASAP to make sure there will be no surprises there. Just ask the recruiter how long your qualification will remain valid.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
any industrial clinic can do a dot physical and mail the results to the company. they will also give you a sealed copy to carry in. urine test may be at orientation to try and ensure a clean response.

canada? done one in and one out in 6 months. another guy here did 30% of his loads last year to canada. location location location.

zocco

Seasoned Expediter
Hey thanks for info. Yeah maybe your're right not to assume any company I apply to is taking on drivers - let alone rookie when it comes to expediting. I was just worried If I apply now, that whatever recruiter I talk to will throw my app to the side and forgotten about when they here I'm not looking to start for another 1-2 months (March/Apr).

Whatever carrier I end up with, I'll ask which form. Like I said I have no prob doing a drug test at carriers doctor but as far as physical (just from past experience) I know they'll just send me back to my doctor so I might as well just cut to chase and do it here at my doctor.

As far as Canada is concerned I heard horror stories of the delays, time loss, crossing that border. How realistic/common is it to get loads coming back to U.S. from Canada?