1st 5,000 miles

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here are some tips. Don't idle the vehicle excessively. Your engine wont create good heat until you are driving it. Use the right fuel, which I guess most are, and use the right oil. These will all help to keep the soot load down thus preventing as much from getting into the EGR valve.

602,000 miles...and i have the original EGR...never been opened or had to clean it....:D

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Here are some tips. Don't idle the vehicle excessively. Your engine wont create good heat until you are driving it. Use the right fuel, which I guess most are, and use the right oil. These will all help to keep the soot load down thus preventing as much from getting into the EGR valve.

That's great advice. Most people don't understand that you overload the EGR when your engine is cool and idling. If you idle for heat or A/C the money spent on EGR maintenance, fuel etc can be saved if you buy a heater and a room size A/C for the back (C/V-Sprinter). You absolutely kill an EGR equipped engine by idling.
If you have an EGR equipped Detroit Series 60 the same applies. DD engines have huge problems with EGR and its primarily because they don't heat up enough to clean itself out.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's great advice. Most people don't understand that you overload the EGR when your engine is cool and idling. If you idle for heat or A/C the money spent on EGR maintenance, fuel etc can be saved if you buy a heater and a room size A/C for the back (C/V-Sprinter). You absolutely kill an EGR equipped engine by idling.
If you have an EGR equipped Detroit Series 60 the same applies. DD engines have huge problems with EGR and its primarily because they don't heat up enough to clean itself out.

MB recommends idling at 2,000 rpm....ever heard these things at that high....sounds like a race engine!!

golfournut

Veteran Expediter

I didn't know that. Learned something new today. It's a great day.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinters had a BIG problem with the 04 and down because of the "dirty diesel" that America used pre ULSD rules..the egrs clogged up quite regularly...somewhere around 04 to 05 the NEW design self cleaning EGR's appeared....that really helped the problem for marginal idlers...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I didn't know that. Learned something new today. It's a great day.

Sprinters are a whole new world...well to the US anyhows...

You should read up on the history of them and get that North American diesel out of your head...ya get some bad habits...*LOL*

If you are going to get a Sprinter it is a love to hate relationship..*L*

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
MB recommends idling at 2,000 rpm....ever heard these things at that high....sounds like a race engine!!

The MB engine is an animal all it's own. The reason they want you raise the RPM's up is the same reason the old Detroit were raised. The oil pressure is to low at idle and does not circulate well. If you notice the newer gas engines and diesel engines run at higher temperatures. They tell you is makes the fuel burn more thoroughly but also helps keep the soot level down and the EGR cleaner. I have friends with Detroit DD and 60 series engines that are putting 212 degree thermostats and running straight Evans coolant. It has raised their fuel mileage anywhere from 5-10%. With that coolant you never worry about freezing or boiling. It's expensive but you never have to change it. It's about $25 a gallon but great stuff.:cool:

Ad something. You notice the police cars, ambulances etc, have high idle solenoids to keep the heat down. If they ran Evans coolant they wouldn't have to worry about that and burn all that extra fuel and gas.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The MB engine is an animal all it's own. The reason they want you raise the RPM's up is the same reason the old Detroit were raised. The oil pressure is to low at idle and does not circulate well. If you notice the newer gas engines and diesel engines run at higher temperatures. They tell you is makes the fuel burn more thoroughly but also helps keep the soot level down and the EGR cleaner. I have friends with Detroit DD and 60 series engines that are putting 212 degree thermostats and running straight Evans coolant. It has raised their fuel mileage anywhere from 5-10%. With that coolant you never worry about freezing or boiling. It's expensive but you never have to change it. It's about $25 a gallon but great stuff.:cool:

We have a "special" coolant as well....it takes around 1200 rpm just to stay at 180 normal running temp...2000 will ensure the EGR stays clean...

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
OVM you mentioned the Sprinter. A friend of mine who lives in the UK has a SRW 3500 Sprinter and he runs what they call drop freight. I guess it's like Expediting in America. He runs everywhere and has about 500,000 miles on it. Never had a problem but he does not have EGR's and all the rest of the environmental stuff we have over here. He averages better than 20mpg loaded and empty and they have much more stop and go that we because of their hwy system. He expects to get a million miles out of it. He has not replaced a thing on the motor. I have tried to get him on EO and he's probably reading this. He comes over every year for a couple of weeks. I want to go over there and ride with him for a week. Another thing, they never sleep in their trucks they stay at guest houses. The truckers over there have it somewhat better than we as far as living conditions but the tax's over there are killing everyone, not just truckers.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM you mentioned the Sprinter. A friend of mine who lives in the UK has a SRW 3500 Sprinter and he runs what they call drop freight. I guess it's like Expediting in America. He runs everywhere and has about 500,000 miles on it. Never had a problem but he does not have EGR's and all the rest of the environmental stuff we have over here. He averages better than 20mpg loaded and empty and they have much more stop and go that we because of their hwy system. He expects to get a million miles out of it. He has not replaced a thing on the motor. I have tried to get him on EO and he's probably reading this. He comes over every year for a couple of weeks. I want to go over there and ride with him for a week. Another thing, they never sleep in their trucks they stay at guest houses. The truckers over there have it somewhat better than we as far as living conditions but the tax's over there are killing everyone, not just truckers.

600k and I've replaced glow plugs and water pump...that is all....:D Is that engine stuff?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
600k and I've replaced glow plugs and water pump...that is all....:D Is that engine stuff?

That's great. That say's volumes about how you run and maintain your equipment. I bet you never idle your rig when you lay over and such. I hear people talk about oil change intervals and all, as far as I'm concerned you never over service your equipment. When I get back home and oil is within maybe 2,000 miles I change it. Of course I've been accused of being overly cautious. Friends of mine tell me I'm throwing money away. Well I don't think so. I've never had a failure on the road other than something just breaking.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's great. That say's volumes about how you run and maintain your equipment. I bet you never idle your rig when you lay over and such. I hear people talk about oil change intervals and all, as far as I'm concerned you never over service your equipment. When I get back home and oil is within maybe 2,000 miles I change it. Of course I've been accused of being overly cautious. Friends of mine tell me I'm throwing money away. Well I don't think so. I've never had a failure on the road other than something just breaking.

We are of the same mindset then....Idle? What is that? *LOL*

One of the first things I got was my Honda Gen...and even it is still going....*LOL*

I have idled on occasion like a 4 hour nap when too lazy to throw out the gen. and the EGR goes whacko abit...kicks out into limp mode a couple times till it has cleaned itself out and away I go... a PIA...pull over restart, pull over restart:p
All is good tho....it works as designed...a nag feature..like having the wifey along with ya.....*ducking*

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Sprinters are a whole new world...well to the US anyhows...

You should read up on the history of them and get that North American diesel out of your head...ya get some bad habits...*LOL*

If you are going to get a Sprinter it is a love to hate relationship..*L*

Yea I gotta quit sniffing that stuff! Lol.

I have been doing a lot of research. One of the things that disturbs me about the new vs what you drive is this. Yours at a 158" wheel base has a 14' cargo bed with a 3300 # payload. Getting 20 to 24 mpg. I think it is 4" shorter in height, thus the weight difference on the new 170" wb 14' cargo bed with a 3005 # payload and 188 HP 6 cyl vs yours at I think 154 HP 5 cyl. At 18 to 20 mpg. And the new ones I think are wider at the wheel wells at 53". So while there are similarities, there are major differences. Then you have Dennis that throws a monkey wrench in and screws me up just when I had my mind made up.
Here's sum fuzzy math on fuel, 50000 miles / 18 mpg = 2777.78 gal x 4.00 per = $11111.11

50000 miles / 12.8 = 3906.25 x $3.50 = $13671.88 - 11111.11 = $2560.77

50000 miles / 13.5 = 3703.70 x 3.50 = $12962.96 - 11111.11 =$1851.85 a little more tolerable difference but at 500k miles is a difference of $18517.50. Almost half of the cost of a new sprinter.

So while that part of the economics favors the sprinter, from what I gather, Maintaince cost could possibly close that gap. Maybe not entirely but probably by half.

Then you add the greater payload capability of Dennis's van, does that greater ability provide more load opportunity to offset the remaining difference?

And now he's talking about all those changes, if they give him just another 1 mpg, that could be a game changer.

Ya see why my head is spinning?

It's all Dennis's fault.lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can see your dilemma...and I can't help ya out...you just have to go with your gut feelings...make up your mind and run with it...ya married the right lady right? so trust your gut....*LOL*

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
We are of the same mindset then....Idle? What is that? *LOL*

One of the first things I got was my Honda Gen...and even it is still going....*LOL*

I have idled on occasion like a 4 hour nap when too lazy to throw out the gen. and the EGR goes whacko abit...kicks out into limp mode a couple times till it has cleaned itself out and away I go... a PIA...pull over restart, pull over restart:p
All is good tho....it works as designed...a nag feature..like having the wifey along with ya.....*ducking*

*SWAT* I saw that!:p

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I can see your dilemma...and I can't help ya out...you just have to go with your gut feelings...make up your mind and run with it...ya married the right lady right? so trust your gut....*LOL*

Yea I married the right lady. Right now she thinks I'm a looney toon! I'm starting to agree with her! Lol

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Yea I gotta quit sniffing that stuff! Lol.

I have been doing a lot of research. One of the things that disturbs me about the new vs what you drive is this. Yours at a 158" wheel base has a 14' cargo bed with a 3300 # payload. Getting 20 to 24 mpg. I think it is 4" shorter in height, thus the weight difference on the new 170" wb 14' cargo bed with a 3005 # payload and 188 HP 6 cyl vs yours at I think 154 HP 5 cyl. At 18 to 20 mpg. And the new ones I think are wider at the wheel wells at 53". So while there are similarities, there are major differences. Then you have Dennis that throws a monkey wrench in and screws me up just when I had my mind made up.
Here's sum fuzzy math on fuel, 50000 miles / 18 mpg = 2777.78 gal x 4.00 per = $11111.11

50000 miles / 12.8 = 3906.25 x $3.50 = $13671.88 - 11111.11 = $2560.77

50000 miles / 13.5 = 3703.70 x 3.50 = $12962.96 - 11111.11 =$1851.85 a little more tolerable difference but at 500k miles is a difference of $18517.50. Almost half of the cost of a new sprinter.

So while that part of the economics favors the sprinter, from what I gather, Maintaince cost could possibly close that gap. Maybe not entirely but probably by half.

Then you add the greater payload capability of Dennis's van, does that greater ability provide more load opportunity to offset the remaining difference?

And now he's talking about all those changes, if they give him just another 1 mpg, that could be a game changer.

Ya see why my head is spinning?

It's all Dennis's fault.lol

In regards to Dennis ride and his mileage I see what you are referring
to on fuel costs. Dennis Cargo Max has a 4:10 gear. There is one way to cure that I know of. I had one. It's the Gear Jammer auxiliary transmission. It bolts on to the back of the tranny and reduces the ratio. You can split every gear making it an 8 speed. I believe the final drive in over goes to 2:42. It tells you all that on their site
<gearjammer.com> It's cost well by the time you install and cut the drive shaft its about 3 grand. Pricey a little but ROI is fast because your talking about getting his ride to 20 mpg. He has stated he's going to do it when the revenue comes in. Another thing he got one grand price on that truck so he's well in the ball game. I am going to get one as soon as I get over this Bacterial infection I have been down with for a few weeks, and yes sell one of my C/V. My other problem is, at my age I really don't want to get back on the road and run like I used to. I don't have to do that anymore I just want to supplement my retirement and have something to do. You know work when I want not when they want, and go where I want. After more than 40 years messing with trucks I feel like I deserve that much. I'm debt free, single and only have my dog and me to feed.:D
kootos to all that.