geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
just did 1st oil change at 8,900

i like to do it early feel better and not to worry about running over

on this sprinter have prepaid maintance for the oil change
covers oil filter and oil , fuel filter i have to pay for and there are alot of place that will honor coupons for the oil change

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
5196 miles right now...while the gas mileage is no where what i'd like, i knew going in it was was it was...I have slowed down to where most of the daily driving is done at 63 mph and the last 3 tanks of gas have worked out to 13.3 mpg...better but still not real good.

So with that i made a few calls today...for $1600 i get a 3:42 rear axle gear change, a HyperTech ECM programer and tuner, a KN air filter...and for a few hundred more te air tabs....I figure if i get to 15.5-16 mpg i'll be more then happy and ahead of the game in a short time...then by the end of the yr i will get serious about the aux tranny....

There were alot of variables involved when I bought this truck but I can tell you i never considered a Sprinter...not because they are a bad truck, we all know better...but because i know me...i am a American "slush bucket" driver...i would be the 1st to abuse a sprinter and there was no chance I would do things right...so that was the biggest deal breaker for a sprinter. Then the cost of maintainace verses the Chevy...

But even when I looked at the unicell 12 ft cubes...the price of those verses the CargoMax, I couldn't justify buying a smaller truck while a yr newer for the same money....I am slow at times, but momma did rise a complete idiot...the CargoMax was the one I had to buy...

Now, that being said, I'll never get 18-20 mpg, and the Sprinter is a good truck as long as you do what needs to be done...it really is a persoonal choice...but i'll still always have more gvw..then if the day comes that a few here pray for and every commerical type truck gets regulated, I am all set there too....that original incomplete manufacture tag of 12,300 means I'll be set for even heavier loads...I'll just have it re-classified back to the original GVW....:)

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Hey Chef, wouldn't it be wise to talk to the aux trans. folks and see if the 3:42 ratio is the best choice to use with their product? Your probably well ahead of me here, I'm just thinking that if the 4:11 ratio is better suited, then maybe you would be better off to just go ahead with the aux trans. Purgoose seems to think 20mpg is do-able with that setup.

Of course, if you get to keep the 4:11's in the swap, you would have either/or available.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I already talked to them Rocket, they are ok with the 3:42 with the 4 spd od trans. The engine will not fall to where the Volumetric Efficiency is affected when at highway speeds. Now if I had the 6 spd, then the 3:42 wouldn't work with the splits in the gear vendors od unit...

I am hoping that the changes i am making upfront will get me to the 15-16 area..if that happens I will be ok but still looking for more...18 would be great...i really don't think 20 is going to happen....keep in mind, the numbers i have put out are with driving at 63 mph...I can tell you, I am not built to continue that forever...i'll be back to 65-70 sooner or later, and no matter what i do to the truck, at those speeds, I am not going to get 20 mpg....thats why i can live with 16-17 and pray for 18....lol...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I already talked to them Rocket, they are ok with the 3:42 with the 4 spd od trans. The engine will not fall to where the Volumetric Efficiency is affected when at highway speeds. Now if I had the 6 spd, then the 3:42 wouldn't work with the splits in the gear vendors od unit...

I am hoping that the changes i am making upfront will get me to the 15-16 area..if that happens I will be ok but still looking for more...18 would be great...i really don't think 20 is going to happen....keep in mind, the numbers i have put out are with driving at 63 mph...I can tell you, I am not built to continue that forever...i'll be back to 65-70 sooner or later, and no matter what i do to the truck, at those speeds, I am not going to get 20 mpg....thats why i can live with 16-17 and pray for 18....lol...

That's great. I wish somebody would install one of those gear vendors units so I could learn something at somebody else's expense...lol ! :)

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

Hey Chef. I know we have talked about the gear ratio deal. The biggest reason I would go for the tranny ad on is the 3:42 is high and when your loaded and climbing a hill you will see a difference performance wise. I don't mean for the better. If your going to change gears the 3:73 is better for the 4 spd. You can get a realistic 16-17 mpg (empty, flat ground loaded) with that, I know I have been there with a 6.0. I also had the gear jammer behind the Duramax and I can tell you I won't own another truck that I'm driving without adding it. When you split the gears and find the sweet spot of the engine verses the load the fuel mileage will come. The bad thing about changing out to a different gear is once you do it your stuck with it. I drive like you, I cannot stand 60 mph, it's tuff. Matter of fact I didn't know you could get a 3.42 but I guess after market you can. If that's the way you want to go I can put you in touch with a great mechanic down in Williston S.C who will change it out for under a grand parts included. He did my 6.0 to a 3.73 for $700 bucks. It would be worth it to get a load down and have it done that way. $1600 is to high. He can order the parts and when you come in have it done that day.
On another note I sold my number 1 C/V and now I can get serious about mine. Talk to the guy where you bought it (Chevrolet) and get them to run the numbers on their computer, gear ratio vs tire size and speed vs. RPM's. When you see the RPM drop, it will be about 1500 rpms at 60 with a 3.42 and 16 inch wheels so look at it.
Just a thought I know you have been working on it, I'm just coming from experience. If you get the GearJammer don't sell your truck with it in it save it for the next one. They are great.

When I said I didn't know you could get a 3.42 I meant in a 1 ton unit.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The 3:42 is NOT available from GM in the 12,300 gvw cut away..and there is no listing in the GM parts books for one either...the 3:42 gear set is available from Precision Gear in the after market.

The $1600 wasn't just the gear change, that included the Hypertech ecm monitor and tuner and a K&N air filter also..The gear change is still $1100....so yea $700 is easier to take!!

I talked with Gear Venders again..they are ok with the 3:42 but even the 1st time they told me that city driving would be a pain and loaded in the hills and mountains id be using the gas pedal more...the 2nd time i talked to them, they even went as far to say, leave the 4:10 in it...the reduction with the 4:10 and the double overdrive over the GM over drive would take it to 2:40 and even in town with the gm od it would be 3:20...soooo...I hate making these decisions...but I talked to mama and she is all for getting the ROI as quick as possible but investing more for the long haul...

Looks like I'll be sleeping on it for a few more weeks and cancel the order for the 3:42 gear set, and just have them install the hypertech tuner and get the K&N and the air tabs for now...then i'll probably end up with the aux trans and install it myself and have the driveshaft cut by a pro....

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
The 3:42 is NOT available from GM in the 12,300 gvw cut away..and there is no listing in the GM parts books for one either...the 3:42 gear set is available from Precision Gear in the after market.

The $1600 wasn't just the gear change, that included the Hypertech ecm monitor and tuner and a K&N air filter also..The gear change is still $1100....so yea $700 is easier to take!!

I talked with Gear Venders again..they are ok with the 3:42 but even the 1st time they told me that city driving would be a pain and loaded in the hills and mountains id be using the gas pedal more...the 2nd time i talked to them, they even went as far to say, leave the 4:10 in it...the reduction with the 4:10 and the double overdrive over the GM over drive would take it to 2:40 and even in town with the gm od it would be 3:20...soooo...I hate making these decisions...but I talked to mama and she is all for getting the ROI as quick as possible but investing more for the long haul...

Looks like I'll be sleeping on it for a few more weeks and cancel the order for the 3:42 gear set, and just have them install the hypertech tuner and get the K&N and the air tabs for now...then i'll probably end up with the aux trans and install it myself and have the driveshaft cut by a pro....

I believe you will be happier. Yes in town flip one button on the last gear and actually you are close to normal. I didn't think the 3.42 was available, the 1 ton HD has only two 3.73 and 4.10. I don't know what the guy was thinking when told you to leave it, the only thing I can figure is he doesn't buy much gas. The 6.0 is a real bear and not much really you can do to it for mileage other than the gearing. I could not believe the difference in one I changed to 3.73. Went to 17mpg and I think it would have run 140mph if I would let it, you down shift at 50 and it feels like it would jump off the ground. The 3.42 and you could put it on the salt flats and win. I know the 3 grand is a hit but I'm sure you will be happy once you do it. It all bolts right up and real easy to put in. The only thing is the drive shaft and like you say let the pro cut it. My suggestion there is measure what you need and have a new shaft made for the front and keep the old for when you sell the truck and use it on the next one. I let mine go with the truck and have regretted it ever since. I will definitely do it again on the next one. They used to send diagrams for the drive shaft length don't know if they still do. It's a hard decision to make but the ROI will be fast.

Just to ad the best economy and cruise for the 6.0 is about 14-1500 rpm. That's the bottom of the power curve.

Last edited: