12 Volt Electric Blanket

guido4475

Not a Member
I dont understand why you all are so set on spending so much of your hard-earned money to stay warm in the winter when an all-purpose sheep does the same thing, as I have said before.lol.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I have had 2 of the 12V blankets. Both from a different vendor, but both were just alike. And both went up in smoke pretty soon after I bought them. The control box on the cord melted and I woke up to smoke filling my sleeper. No more of them for me.

Plus, they were supposed to time out in 30- 45 minutes. So they wouldn't draw on your battery too long. They were good to warm your bed, but if you reset them to stay on another 30 minutes, I think it overloaded them. If I remember right, I paid $30 for one and $ 34 for the other. And they were sorta small for my bed.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The one we bought the instructions said..trying to keep it straight as possible? Uh?

We use a regular electric blanket running of the generator...

youngsamuel

Seasoned Expediter
I have an electric blanket that I purchased at TA. It works great. I use two gell cells to power it. Each gel provides 18 hours of continuous warmth. I am not sure of the amp hours because the gells were purchased used and do not say on the label. The only problem with the blanket is getting out of it. That is why I am going with a generator and portable heater. I would go espar if I had the money. It is not because the espar is costly I simply don't have that much right now. I WOULD NOT power the blanket with crank batteries. It was a cold Ohio morning and.........

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok , here is my deal. Heating the van at night while sleeping is not and issue as the big buddy works great and i have no issues with it. I sleep on a twin siz air mattress in a -30* mummy bag. My problem is that the air matterss gets cold. So after reading that i was wrong on the power drain of the modern heating blankets, I stopped at Walmart here in Cheyenne Wy last noght and bought a "Full" sized one. I stucked the edges a foot under the air mattress on each side and fired up the power to the balnket. Now it doesn't function as i remembered, no more "hot spots" all over the blanket, just an even warming and not even "hot" to the touch at all, I didn't think it was working when i went to bed. Well last night the mattress was nice and warm and no loger cold to the touch!!

Thanks for the info and while the dang thing was a bit expensive, it worked as advertised!!! :D

Oh and it is a 120 volt and runs off the power strip from the inverter and it didn't draw the batteries down anymore then normal. It is only a 180 watt draw 0n the 120 side of the inverter.