skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
There are 12k plus registered names in the community section, so shouldn't we be covered up in responses? New Post should have pages and pages of stuff IMO> I dunno.....:D anyone got opinions on this?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
12,681, yeah, sure, but 6,430 of them belong to Doug, 4,213 of them are failed expediters, 977 of them have registered but have never posted, 611 of them don't get online much except to ask a question or get one answered in research, 333 post every now and then, but mostly just read stuff, and the rest of the 117 are the regular posters. :D

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Similar to the old rule of thumb in sales, 80 percent of the sales are made by 20 percent of the sales people.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
12,681, yeah, sure, but 6,430 of them belong to Doug, 4,213 of them are failed expediters, 977 of them have registered but have never posted, 611 of them don't get online much except to ask a question or get one answered in research, 333 post every now and then, but mostly just read stuff, and the rest of the 117 are the regular posters. :D

Excellent! I'm doing that floor thing.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Postings; I went back 5 and to 10 years in some of the forums and many folks back then have obviously left the business. Some of those folks posted many many post, it was interesting the questions say in 2002 are same as now . so reading 5,10 year old post is interesting. The last post of many people just end, what, where, or what happened to them , who knows, like they dropped off the planet. archives can be interesting and educational................

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
Postings; I went back 5 and to 10 years in some of the forums and many folks back then have obviously left the business. Some of those folks posted many many post, it was interesting the questions say in 2002 are same as now . so reading 5,10 year old post is interesting. The last post of many people just end, what, where, or what happened to them , who knows, like they dropped off the planet. archives can be interesting and educational................

Obviously alien abductions! :eek:
I hate when that happens! :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If EO canceled all the unused memberships..there'd probably be only about 2,000 real members...and ad revenue would probably be lower....so the non existent members will be forever...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The numbers you see are very typcle of internet member sites. Look at the number of times a thread is viewed compared to the number of posts. That will show you a lot of people only read and never post.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
The numbers you see are very typcle of internet member sites. Look at the number of times a thread is viewed compared to the number of posts. That will show you a lot of people only read and never post.

This is particularly true in trucking industry forums . I know in one of the larger forums I've watched wannabes go from "Woohoo I'm going to CDL school " to "Boohoo nobody will hire me " Then they vanish . Admin on that forum criticized me for my "scare tactics" when I told wannabes to check the Transportation Services Index to see how much freight had declined , check the latest DOL reports to see how many tens of thousands of jobs had been lost in the transportation industry and to go to Safestat and see the fleet size of a carrier they were interested in compared to what it was a year ago .
Scaring newbies off would reduce membership numbers . They didn't listen anyway . They all thought they knew better than everybody else and they could be anything they wanted to be . I took real interest in those that were particularly arrogant . Few were still around 3 months later .

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
This is particularly true in trucking industry forums . I know in one of the larger forums I've watched wannabes go from "Woohoo I'm going to CDL school " to "Boohoo nobody will hire me " Then they vanish . Admin on that forum criticized me for my "scare tactics" when I told wannabes to check the Transportation Services Index to see how much freight had declined , check the latest DOL reports to see how many tens of thousands of jobs had been lost in the transportation industry and to go to Safestat and see the fleet size of a carrier they were interested in compared to what it was a year ago .
Scaring newbies off would reduce membership numbers . They didn't listen anyway . They all thought they knew better than everybody else and they could be anything they wanted to be . I took real interest in those that were particularly arrogant . Few were still around 3 months later .
MY son has been a truck driver for 8 years now and when he was at
Schneider they told them in class to look around,,only 2 of u will be driving in 2 years and the odds are all of u will be out of driving in 4 years,,hes still driving as an o/o now in his own tractor doing bed bugging. Turnover rate in trucking is 100 percent they say. :eek:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Most people who register - register to use our classifieds or to receive our newsletter. They share the same database. That's why you only hear from a handful in the forums. Over the course of the year we'll have any where from 8500 - 10000 login at least once - that preserves their account. We do remove accounts for various reasons on a daily basis.

Early next year we are merging all our databases so you can easily manage - from ONE login:

- Your Application/Resume account, if you have one
- You EO Forum membership/profile
- EO Classifieds
- THE WIRE eNewsletter
- EO Smartphone apps
- Expedite NOW magazine subscriptions
- Expedite Expo attendee profile