100k van miles preemptive maint items

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm at 101k miles and wondering what things I should do just because. I've got 40k since the dealer rebuilt the transmission under warranty. I thought this would be a good time to go to synthetic fluid for it. What about a timing belt/chain? Does the 6.0 V8 need 100k changes on those? What else would you van guys do at 100k?

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
With my Fords I never really experienced any wear and tear issues until after 200K miles. Somewhere between 200-300k, the serpentine belt is easily compromised, so I replace belts about every 100k miles. Ford's alternators often burn out around every 150k miles, so I generally replace alternators every 125k miles. Go with OEM parts from the dealership. Experience taught that alternators purchased from NAPA, Auto Zone, etc are pigs in a polk. Too many bad ones in the mix. Same with fuel pumps, buy from the dealership. I replace fuel pumps approximately every 300k miles. Regular dino oil changed between 10-12k miles. Tire failure is the most common cause of highway breakdowns. Pay an inordinate amount of attention to tire wear and condition.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been successful by repacking front bearings 100-125K....I've got originals still..at over 650K...must be working..

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am very non-mechanical and love KISS but wanted to make sure there wasn't something obvious to others that would be a "well, duh" to me.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last edited:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To add to you growing list: Coolant flush! 100,000 miles is about max life for the stuff. Check upper/lower hose's.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
My Cargo Max rolled up 70,000 miles today...I changed the ft shocks and changed the Oil and Filter and lubed the Ft End...I will flush the cooling system at 100,000 and fill it with AmsOil "Propylene Glycol" coolant instead of the normal "Ethylene Glycol" coolant. The AmsOil coolant is good for 250,000 miles or 7 yrs in gasoline vehicles...

I changed the trans and diff fluids with AmsOil Synthetics when i bought the truck and the trans fluid was changed again last month when I had the Flex Plate (flywheel) replaced under that warranty....just because it was out and i had the fluid in the truck....

All I will do at 100,000 other then the coolant flush will be the spark plugs, wires and filters....

If I get that far, at 150,000 I will change both ft wheel hubs / bearing assemblies....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To add to you growing list: Coolant flush! 100,000 miles is about max life for the stuff. Check upper/lower hose's.
Yeah, what Eddie said. 100,000 is a good time for a flush. On both my 1998 and 2004 I drained and flushed the DexCool when the vans were new and filled them up with good old green stuff.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just checked my records. I replaced the OEM battery at 35, 000 miles. with a Sears Platinum.

Mine went just over 200k but then again I'm on original alternator and front wheel bearings at 350k... :eek:

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
For $1200 you got have put a motor in that puddle jumper...but that being said, i had heard that the whole Scion Lineup were pretty good cars, and i even like the Box XB!!! :D