US Navy
on feb 12, 2013 will be at ceva for 10 year's
and running a sprinter van for 9 year's
on third one
running local is great
will retire in three year's

Monty

Expert Expediter
A lot of folks overlook CEVA, but if you're not afraid of a bit of work, such as home deliveries, and like local/regional work .... they are worth checking out.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
A lot of folks overlook CEVA, but if you're not afraid of a bit of work, such as home deliveries, and like local/regional work .... they are worth checking out.

I like Ceva..Why I don't know.I never worked for them but hauled allot of freight out of Ky for them..Just always enjoyed going in there. Several years ago I called # after # to contact someone about signing with them and never found anyone to even take my info..Not a easy thing to do. Maybe the work load just wasn't there at the time???

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Congratulations George!

For you that don't know Geo. He's a old school Roberts Express C Unit O/O. Back in the early 90's he made an Expediter Truck Stop Directory that went "viral" and was copied all over the country. Lot of people knew him from the directory.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Geo's kicking tail w/ Ceva. I was w/ em when they were EGL. Different areas might not be as good as down in Virginia. I did ok w/ em, but not well enough to justify a Sprinter & the payment that went w/ it. They let me use my Ford until the end of ??? (2005 or 6 I think). After that, I would have had to get a newer van.

I still have that same van today. So I'm happy w/ my decision. EGL treated me fine. From what I recall a solid company to work for. At the same time, very few in other areas are going to do as well as Geo does.

My 2 cents.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Yea, he always thought outside the box. I think that contributed a lot to his success. Congrats to ya Geo. You'll prolly make more in retirement than most do working.

Congratulations George!

For you that don't know Geo. He's a old school Roberts Express C Unit O/O. Back in the early 90's he made an Expediter Truck Stop Directory that went "viral" and was copied all over the country. Lot of people knew him from the directory.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
one of the reason i have made it at egl/ceva or roberts express /fedexcc is be solution not the problem

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In the high-turnover industry that expediting is, 10 years in one place is a remarkable accomplishment.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'd argue that point.

I bet ten years isn't all that unusual.
Get with a good company, and get to work. Ten years goes by quickly.

I'll probably retire right after Fed fails to acknowledge my ten years of good service.

As Terry the safety guy would say, " they gave you 500 paychecks, didn't they ?"

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'd argue that point.

I bet ten years isn't all that unusual.

I'd bet not, but without good data, arguing the point would be fruitless.

I've only been with two carriers in ten years of expediting. The first had a fleet ranging from 1,200-1,500 or so trucks at various times. For a while, the company recognized it's long-term contractors (10 + years and other time periods) by putting plaques with their names on them on a wall outside the orientation room. At most, there were two or three dozen names on that wall, as memory serves. Even if there were 200 names, that is a small percentage of the fleet. But this is not real data, just anecdotal evidence.

At our present carrier, I have no idea what percentage of contractors have been there ten or more years.

It would be interesting to learn what percentage of expediters that are now in the industry have been in the industry over ten years, regardless of carrier affiliation. What would your guess be? Fifty percent? More? Less?

These are interesting questions but I know of no easy way to answer them.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Not to detract from his ten years at Ceva.

Geo, how long at Roberts/Fedex ??

Some people just aren't job jumpers.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The percentage may be low as many enter expediting late in life.
Some probably think should I retire, or maybe I'll expedite.

The easiest data would be gathered by asking the carriers.

I'll be in Green within the week.
If I think about it, I'll ask.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i was at roberts express and fedex cc for 11 years left
or was force out for a comment i made to a vp who later became pres
he didn't like comment i made to him