10 MPG in a Tractor Trailer?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We had a CAT in our first truck and we spent a lot of time and effort to get good fuel mileage. It has been a lot easier to start with a DD13 inside an aerodynamic Cascadia designed to get good fuel mileage from day 1.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is an independent owner on another forum who has a 3406E model CAT in a 2000 model 770 Volvo. This driver does power only loads and is getting close to 9mpg out of that truck. He never drives faster than 58mph, never idles, and has several the mods. Yeah, I know.... He has IFTA quarterly reports backing it up, among other things. :-D

bobcmo

Expert Expediter
Zorry, here's my take on question 1. Kevin Rutherford has said for years if you get the same mileage at 65 as 55 theres something wrong with the engine or charge air cooler. I dont always agree with that if you have to drop a gear and raise RPM you will not do better, physics don't lie, it takes fuel to increase RPM.
As for question 2, again physics don't lie, it takes fuel to increase HP. Bruce Malenson once said it takes 186 HP to keep 80,000 lbs. rolling down the road. You are at or below 40,000. The study Bruce refered to was done I think in the late 70's or early 80's. Since then tire technology, oil, gear sets, and engines have all leaned toward getting the truck down the road easier. The loads aren't any heavier and the mountains aren't any higher. So i would have to disagree with the dealers lower HP should increase mileage. Dealers sell what they think drivers want, and drivers buy that because they typicaly don't #1 have an option and #2 don't do research and talk to engineers rather than salesmen. I will say the excessive HP feels fun to drive but i don't want to have to feed it. I would rather spend the extra money on my family and myself.

You are dispatched at an average of 45 MPH, we have always run less than 60 MPH and have never been late with a lifetime average on this truck of 52 MPH. Going slower is less stressfull and we always get there on time if not early. Thats my opinion and you can't argue with physics, they will win every time!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
We generally run 60. This week running faster may mean delivering a day earlier. If so, we'll step it up. If the day earlier is not an option we'll mosey along.
Either scenario we keep the left door closed and get on over there.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I've always found that running slower (55) is more tiresome. Driving 65-70, to me, forces me to be more alert.

We did a fuel mileage test last year with this truck and I found that speeding up I was more tense. At the end of the day my shoulders muscles were in knots and my neck always hurt. 58 works really well most of the time for stress and for fuel mileage.

I know Henry does not like 55 and is ready to step it back up to his customary 65 mpg

zorry

Veteran Expediter
How did the increased speed affect the Caffecadia ?

My old school training was 1 mph lost 1/10 mpg. Or 10 mph lost 1 full mpg.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I did a series of blogs on how our fuel mileage changed when we kicked the speed up with the conclusion "It Depends" In great conditions, flat roads, axle up we could get good fuel mileage with out the "perfect" conditions our fuel mileage suffered.

I did a blog series with this one being the first:
Day 1 of the fuel mileage test