It never stops amazing me...

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All mentioned companies require these identification markings for vehicles that are leased onto them. Once they cannot cover a load directly, all these company "requirements" go out the window.

What matters? In my opinion ...
Are you PROPERLY INSURED!?

Aesthetics? Yeah if you operate in the second tier, like I do, have some dignity. As mentioned, at least make it look clean ..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Vehicles 10,000 pounds or less do not require a DOT number (unless they haul hazardous material which requires placards).

Even if that vehicle is being used for hire transporting freight across state lines? Just wondering.
Yes. As the information at the link shows, the vehicle needs to be 10,001 pounds or more (or otherwise be a CMV) AND be engaged in interstate commerce.

Either one but not the other and there is no DOT number requirement. Some states nevertheless require a DOT number for CMVs even if they do not leave the state.

The DOT only regulates vehicles engaged in interstate commerce that also meet the definition of a Commercial Motor Vehicle. If it's not a CMV, the DOT doesn't regulate it at all.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh ... and don't mistaken "second tier" to imply .. that the services I provide are somehow inferior, that I make less money, or that I break laws with reckless abandon.

I've mentioned this before, I like:

less bureaucracy ...
more freedom ....
anonymity ...

And I definitely wouldn't like some little snitch taking photos of my van & sending them into mommy & daddy. I try to approach my work with as little drama as possible. :pokepoke:

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Had a load yesterday, I bet 7 to 8 out of 10 vans were unmarked going the other direction. Yikes!

Two theories here!

1. They just don’t want ‘Big Brother’ knowing what they do!

2. They just don’t want to mess up their truck with permanent signage!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
How about that the vast majority of newer expeditors are doing the multi carrier thing?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Yeah Don, that probably would make an excellent third theory.

I’m probably going to stir the pot here with this next statement but it makes a lot of sense. My earlier post I was being ‘dryly’ sarcastic.

I truly believe why you see a lot of vans unmarked is because if involved in any type of accident. They don’t want to be sued! Especially if these drivers are operating under their own authority. Which is why most drivers complain about having to obtain insurance coverage for operating the van with signage but not under a load with their carrier. Secondly an unmarked van will attract less interest from a DOT Enforcement Officer.

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Two theories here!

1. They just don’t want ‘Big Brother’ knowing what they do!

2. They just don’t want to mess up their truck with permanent signage!

"Big brother" knows what you do regardless when you do your taxes.

No problem with signage, had it on, had it off.

Yeah Don, that probably would make an excellent third theory.

I’m probably going to stir the pot here with this next statement but it makes a lot of sense. My earlier post I was being ‘dryly’ sarcastic.

I truly believe why you see a lot of vans unmarked is because if involved in any type of accident. They don’t want to be sued! Especially if these drivers are operating under their own authority. Which is why most drivers complain about having to obtain insurance coverage for operating the van with signage but not under a load with their carrier. Secondly an unmarked van will attract less interest from a DOT Enforcement Officer.

Same, or better insurance as big carrier.
Same or worse lawsuits possibilities when in accident.
Own authority to drive under requires some time of "grace period" and lots of references and favorable reputation.
Attention from authorities? I think cops and DOT are more curious at what you do without signage now than when I had signs under AAMC (per last DOT "catch and release" stint at SC).

If anybody asks you...
Always tell them: it gets them more loads(diversification), at rates they want(market fluctuations), and no shenanigans from brokers that work "for them" (notice, not "they work for").

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBird

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
P.S. - I drive an unmarked van but only run for one carrier and we have magnetic signage

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

We do the same exact thing! For probably the same reasons!

And Both of the Companys that your involved with are doing things (in my Opinion) the right way. Paying ABOVE industry standard Average rates . Proper insurance and magnetic signs if Customer requires it.

H8trs gonna H8

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
"Big brother" knows what you do regardless when you do your taxes.

No problem with signage, had it on, had it off.

Same, or better insurance as big carrier.
Same or worse lawsuits possibilities when in accident.
Own authority to drive under requires some time of "grace period" and lots of references and favorable reputation.
Attention from authorities? I think cops and DOT are more curious at what you do without signage now than when I had signs under AAMC (per last DOT "catch and release" stint at SC).

If anybody asks you...
Always tell them: it gets them more loads(diversification), at rates they want(market fluctuations), and no shenanigans from brokers that work "for them" (notice, not "they work for").

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

Yeah the grace period exists. But I find that with certain Brokers who say authority must be active consecutively for 3-6 months. Then are some Brokers who don’t have such requirements and will use you if you’re brand new. It’s about they (brokers) want to make sure you’re financially stable.
But I’ve got a friend who owns a successful flatbed trucking operation and he told even if Brokers have their grace period, still call them, because bottom line if your rate is good and they really need that load moved, they’ll make exceptions to their rules.