Death by DeSantis

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That's entirely possible, but DeSantis probably gave himself a boost as well - for fundraising and image development. I don't think there's any doubt he's running for president in '24 and he's building his resume along with keeping his name in the news better than any other Republican.
I agree.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Funny piece about the whole textbook thing here in Florida. I bet it has more to do with certain publishers who donate more to his campaign than anything in the books.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and muttly

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Disney oversteps it's bounds, will pay big price for indoctrination of kids with trans-gender propaganda and programming. It's about time Republicans showed some spine and stood up for parents and against this noisy woke minority.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Disney oversteps it's bounds, will pay big price for indoctrination of kids with trans-gender propaganda and programming. It's about time Republicans showed some spine and stood up for parents and against this noisy woke minority.
Disney overstepped no bounds. As a business, it has the same rights and freedom of expression as any other entity in America. And DeSantis, Republicans and no one else has the right to say otherwise ... no more than I have the right to say you have overstepped your bounds if you say something I disagree with.

DeSantis does have something you and I don't have; the power of the FL governor's office and heavy influence over the state legislators such that they can act together to impose their political will. That's what's happening now and, as your comments well demonstrate, DeSantis is winning the favor of many with his heavy-handed, vindictive actions.

There was a time when the Republican Party was considered the party of business. That is collapsing fast as working class, conservative Republicans channel their anger through party politics, and waging a culture war, are willing to destroy longstanding relationships and institutions (including free and fair democracy).

Locally in Florida, people are scratching their heads trying to figure out what will happen if Disney actually loses the special status they have enjoyed for 50 years. The municipalities in which Disney is located have tiny populations, and they may inherit over $1 billion in debt, which Disney carries now, if this legislative action actually takes hold.

Reactions: RLENT

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Disney overstepped no bounds. As a business, it has the same rights and freedom of expression as any other entity in America. And DeSantis, Republicans and no one else has the right to say otherwise ... no more than I have the right to say you have overstepped your bounds if you say something I disagree with.

DeSantis does have something you and I don't have; the power of the FL governor's office and heavy influence over the state legislators such that they can act together to impose their political will. That's what's happening now and, as your comments well demonstrate, DeSantis is winning the favor of many with his heavy-handed, vindictive actions.

There was a time when the Republican Party was considered the party of business. That is collapsing fast as working class, conservative Republicans channel their anger through party politics, and waging a culture war, are willing to destroy longstanding relationships and institutions (including free and fair democracy).

Locally in Florida, people are scratching their heads trying to figure out what will happen if Disney actually loses the special status they have enjoyed for 50 years. The municipalities in which Disney is located have tiny populations, and they may inherit over $1 billion in debt, which Disney carries now, if this legislative action actually takes hold.
Disney has it's OWN police force and fire department....and oh a post office.
So it's like a small nation with in the state of Florida.

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Disney has it's OWN police force and fire department....and oh a post office.
So it's like a small nation with in the state of Florida.
Yes, that's right. It's the deal that has been in place since swampland was where Disney stands now. And it's worked just fine for 50 years. Now there's trouble because of Desantis's deeds.

Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Disney privilege
In our city, I can get special privileges with tax reductions and building permit waivers if I locate a business in a certain development zone. The privileges were established by the city council to incentivize businesses to locate there. This trade-off was deemed good for the community because drawing businesses in is expected to produce certain benefits like new jobs, higher property values, and ultimately higher tax revenue to the city; which benefits all citizens.

The exact same thing happened to make it attractive for Disney to build Disney world, which has drawn billions of tourist and development dollars, and thousands of jobs, not just into the park but to the community at large.

Yes, it's a privilege. And one that it turns out was very wise to establish.

Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
In our city, I can get special privileges with tax reductions and building permit waivers if I locate a business in a certain development zone. The privileges were established by the city council to incentivize businesses to locate there. This trade-off was deemed good for the community because drawing businesses in is expected to produce certain benefits like new jobs, higher property values, and ultimately higher tax revenue to the city; which benefits all citizens.

The exact same thing happened to make it attractive for Disney to build Disney world, which has drawn billions of tourist and development dollars, and thousands of jobs, not just into the park but to the community at large.

Yes, it's a privilege. And one that it turns out was very wise to establish.
But no park should have it's own police and fire department that is not run by the local state or county. Much like how Facebook and Twitter has the section 230 protection disney has a kind of protection because of the employee income tax along with the tourist trade.....and what about that 55k acre property tax.....Disney wasn't in trouble till it went woke and now it is seeing the backlash to that idea.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
The left has chosen it's hill to die on and it's the woke hill......this November is going to be very interesting because the left think they are going to win.
You see what 30+ Democrats retiring this year because they are smart enough to see that biden has crashed and burned the Democrat party.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Even if this passes nothing will change, the control will revert to the 2 counties that they are in and they will say thanks but no thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Here's the backstory on the Reedy Creek Special District now in the news.

“The result is an example of how a working partnership between business and government can be prosperous for both sides.”

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Even if this passes nothing will change, the control will revert to the 2 counties that they are in and they will say thanks but no thanks.
No one knows how things will change. That's why this rushed-through and non-detailed bill is being criticized. You don't dump $1 billion in debt on two counties and some local municipalities and expect that to be done without consequence. The government entities do not have the fire departments, building departments, public works departments, other departments and staff and operating structures needed to support the Disney theme park, it's millions of visitors and surrounding lands that the Disney departments support now.

If the bill passes, will Disney be instantly freed of it's debt associated with this district?

If the bill passes, will the current Disney first responders keep their labor contracts and benefits? Who will supervise them? Who will come to own the fire department buildings, garbage collection trucks and the wide array of other assets Disney owns now?

The counties and cities in question have the authority to issue bonds now to help finance their operations, but the amount of debt is limited by law. No provision to change that is made by the bill in question. When you dump $1 billion dollars in new debt on such bonding agencies, what happens to their credit rating?

If you own a municipal bond issued by a small town and, out of the blue, that town becomes responsible for a HUGE debt they cannot possibly pay, how secure is that bond that was once said to be secure because that municipality could presumably raise taxes to cover the original bond?

Some will say, that's easy. The municipalities will simply raise Taxes on Disney to provide the services. But, again, they do not own the building, trucks and other assets now needed to provide those services, and they do not have the people or the supervision structure in place.

In Florida, it's hard to build a 6,000 sq. ft. gym or even a single home in less than a year. The theme park is massive. Where will the municipalities build the needed buildings and how fast can they do that?

Instead, they might rent the existing buildings from Disney? Will Disney charge enough rent to pay the new taxes due? Or will they see this real estate as a profit center and charge more rent. These properties will be some of the most valuable real estate in Florida if it goes on the market for sale or as rental property. Citizens could end up paying more taxes just to support the excessive rent Disney is able to charge.

Important.y, taxes and municipal bonding authority cannot be expanded without a vote of the people; and the locals, many if not most of whom work for Disney or other companies that greatly benefit from the present arrangement, are not inclined to go along with DeSantis's knee-jerk and vindictive scheme.

Those are just a few questions that are beginning to surface.

Again, you can't wipe out a special district like this and expect everything to fall in place simply because you feel you are on the right side of the "Don't Say Gay" bill and you want to punish those who disagree.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The left has chosen it's hill to die on and it's the woke hill......this November is going to be very interesting because the left think they are going to win.
You see what 30+ Democrats retiring this year because they are smart enough to see that biden has crashed and burned the Democrat party.
I'm not sure they think they are going to win. The retirements you mention are an indicator of that. I have not seen any prominent Democrat or any left-leaning news organization even suggest they think the Democrats will keep control of the U.S. House after the 2022 elections. There may be some who have suggested otherwise, but if they are out there, I have yet to see them on TV or otherwise speaking out.

As explained in this post, Americans seem to prefer divided government. In the last 30 years, voters have established divided government (one party controlling the U.S. House, the other party controlling the White House) 10 times out of 15, or two-thirds of the time.

A few years back, there was a lot of talk about the so-called "Blue Wave." A "Red Wave" sweeping back would not be unprecedented. Indeed, it would not even be unusual.

As Democrats did in the Blue Wave, a number of Republicans will dance for joy when the U.S. House once again is under Republican control. But, as with the Democrats then, cheering that outcome in 2022, is little different than cheering a sunny day in Florida. It's not an unusual circumstance. It's the normal state of things.

Last edited: