Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Or he is tanking the case on purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
If the prosecutor is tanking the case on purpose, because he knows it's going so badly for him, and today it sure looked like that's exactly what he was trying to do, the judge could declare a mistrial with prejudice, meaning none of those same charges could be brought against Rittenhouse again in the future. It's effectively the same as a not guilty verdict and double jeopardy applies.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Could they do any worse? Just throwing anything against the wall and hope it sticks.
It's bad enough that the prosecutor is relentlessly trying to read Rittenhouse's mind and then conclude intent, but when he tried to do the same with the judge, telling the judge what the judge really meant in his ruling, that was just laugh out loud funny. I would never want a judge to be that mad at me.

Reactions: muttly

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Killing somebody, even in self-defense, can often be an emotional trauma, especially when, as he said under oath, he didn't want to kill anybody at all.

You sound like the DOT. "If you hadn't parked in that truck parking spot in the first place, that drunk lady wouldn't have run into you."

He didn't create the situation that caused 2 deaths. But, even if he did create the situation, that doesn't mean his right to self-defense is somehow null and void. If you don't believe me, ask George Zimmerman.
Zimmer 01 (2).jpg

Reactions: Turtle

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the prosecutor is tanking the case on purpose, because he knows it's going so badly for him, and today it sure looked like that's exactly what he was trying to do, the judge could declare a mistrial with prejudice, meaning none of those same charges could be brought against Rittenhouse again in the future. It's effectively the same as a not guilty verdict and double jeopardy applies.
The Rittenhouse defense team brought up that possibility in their motion to declare a mistrial. It appeared that the judge also appeared to see through the lame efforts of the prosecution, who in reality has no case.

Reactions: Turtle

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Rittenhouse defense team brought up that possibility in their motion to declare a mistrial. It appeared that the judge also appeared to see through the lame efforts of the prosecution, who in reality has no case.
Not likely. That's why prosecutors do it. Very rarely there are repercussions that severe. That is why they do it: to use a sneaky maneuver to gain an advantage. Ends justify the means.
To elaborate further. The prosecution knows that the judge will not order a mistrial or a mistrial with prejudice because the threat of riots will occur if he did that. So the prosecutor is basically saying is " What are you going to do judge because of my dishonest tactics, do you want to start a riot? Do ya?"

Last edited:

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It's bad enough that the prosecutor is relentlessly trying to read Rittenhouse's mind and then conclude intent, but when he tried to do the same with the judge, telling the judge what the judge really meant in his ruling, that was just laugh out loud funny. I would never want a judge to be that mad at me.
Every Prosecutor in every court room in every case in the world tries to read the defendent's mind. That's how they form their case thesis, LoL! You have to prove intent and the only way you can do that is by getting the court to believe your version of events Oh and by the way, every police detective in every city in every country in the world does the same as they have to have reasonable belief of intent in order to press charges in the first place. LoL!

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Stop and think about the amount of stress this 18 year old kid is under. He's probably been dealing with PTSD ever since the night he got involved with this mess.
Bwaahahahahaha! You make it sound like he's the victim who is now suffering like he was a war hero who served his country or something, LoL!

OMFG! Robin Williams was so right...........

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
The prosecutor crossed a very fine line set forth in our constitution. He even tried to tell the judge what he was thinking in the court which really pissed off the judge.....that line he crossed not once but twice. You don't ever tell a judge what they think in a case. Period I hope the judge dismisses the case just to piss on the prosecutor and his case.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The prosecutor crossed a very fine line set forth in our constitution. He even tried to tell the judge what he was thinking in the court which really pissed off the judge.....that line he crossed not once but twice. You don't ever tell a judge what they think in a case. Period I hope the judge dismisses the case just to piss on the prosecutor and his case.
There is not enough judges like the one presiding in this trial. He at least tries to keep the prosecution in check from abuse instead of acting like a tag team with them.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and Turtle

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The prosecution knows that the judge will not order a mistrial or a mistrial with prejudice because the threat of riots will occur if he did that.
It's doubtful this judge would be intimidated by the threat of more riots. He probably sees where this case is headed and would rather it go to the jury, which in all likelihood will render a "not guilty" verdict on all the felony charges and maybe even the misdemeanor gun charge. Local and state authorities have already put the National Guard on standby in anticipation of any civil unrest that might result from a not guilty verdict.

Keep in mind this jury is composed of residents of Kenosha, who lived through several nights of rioting, looting and property destruction that amounted to over 50 MILLION DOLLARS to their community. Each one of these people was very likely effected directly or indirectly by this mayhem, which the local authorities did little to control or put down. Although it's pure speculation, these people will probably hold little sympathy for the three criminals who were part of these rioters and were caught on video attacking Rittenhouse who was obviously not the aggressor in any of the three situations.

One last thought: it hasn't been widely reported, but Rittenhouse's father, grandmother and other family members live in Kenosha, so he does have connections to the community. He lives with his mother in Antioch, IL which is only 15-20 miles away, about a 30 minute drive. People in these smaller communities know or know of each other. There's likely to be more sympathy for him among the jury that's completely different from the mainstream media and the Twitter mob.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Does that logic also apply to the protesters, rioters, looters, arsonists, and child molesters?
That does not apply to protesters, we all have the right to peacefully protest anything we want.

And I have said it before, I believe the protests turned into riots by mostly white instigators, they knew that once they started it, the protesters would continue rioting, just like a bolt of lightening in a dry forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.