Is your carrier doing anything for YOU due to the virus?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are seeing stories about mortgage deferrals and other things being made available to people to help them cope.

Has anyone's carrier offered them a break on anything (like Qualcomm fees or other stuff)?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard of one second, ok third, tier carrier telling owner/ops to expect payments to arrive later than usual. It's a large company that treats guys like cattle.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Since you are already "social distanced" from your carrier, they are being proactive in helping you stop the spread.....:D

Reactions: Turtle

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well that should piss off the rest of the carriers!
Now their owners ops and drivers will all be wanting the same compensation, LoL!
Kudos to Landstar though for offering compensation to those who aren't even employees!:)

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting about the Landstar thing.

The big box pharmacy my wife runs has instituted a chain wide $2/hr wage increases for hourly paid front line workers and something equivalent for salaried store managers and made it retro active to when the panic started.

"It's important, now more than ever, that we acknowledge the work you do serving our customers in these difficult times. We appreciate the efforts you are making despite the enormous challenges."

The wage increase is temporary but is an acknowledgement that the job is now tougher. And despite being open fewer hours now, no layoffs. Some quick math by my wife, she figures it's costing them more than any sales bump they are seeing (sales now are basically limited by availability of items). Considering it's a pretty normally not very nice corporation it's surprising. Heck even Walmart up here is being decent to their people.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got a call from dispatch last night for a load picking up Monday morning. The dispatcher was working from home and warned me that her side of the call would cut out while she did her dispatch thing but the connection would not be broken. I had to do some price negotiating and there were more cut outs. With negotiations done, I told her to give me 5 minutes for my QC to boot up (times out after 45 minutes) and I would accept the load. Two hours later and no load offer so I went to bed.

This morning I called into dispatch and doubled checked on the load status and asked for the load to be sent again. This guy sounded like he was talking through a long narrow pipe. I comment he must be working remotely also. He claimed he could send the load offer over the QC. It took 35 minutes to get the load offer. During the wait I was considering refusing the load. I can use the phone app to refuse a load but not to accept one. Anyway I got a 293 mile load at $1.19/mile for Monday morning. Desperate times...