December at Load 1

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I don't think my personal hygiene was the problem as I had showered and shaved about 2 hours before arriving for a pick up.
I was also wearing clean clothes including a safety vest and hard soled shoes.
The problem arose after I parked, went inside and politely explained who I drove for and what I was to pick up including the name of the consignee.
I was practically screamed at because I hadn't backed into a dock before coming in. (I foolishly thought the shipper might wish to assign me a dock of there choice.)
Afterwards I was talked to as if I was an idiot that couldn't speak English. And I had to ask the forklift driver multiple times to please lift the freight up an inch or two and not slide metal containers on my floor. He made me pay for this by disappearing for a half hour before bringing the final crate. Everyone working in this building had a bad attitude and chip on there shoulder towards drivers.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app
I thought you might think that I was talking about you about the clothes and showered which I wasn't. IMO they see alot of different drivers and some to most treat them not so good I think. There has been few times I've been done that way and I just talked to them and things smooth out.

Reactions: jjoerger

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Sadly I think it isn’t so much companies or locations but one or two people with bad attitudes than can change everything. BUSY weekend. The Celadon shut down is causing some chaos in the supply chain for sure. One of the busiest weeks of 2019 so far and next week is off to a strong start! Fingers crossed. New ELD rule is only a week away too.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sadly I think it isn’t so much companies or locations but one or two people with bad attitudes than can change everything.
I think that's the deal. I've been treated very poorly, and very nicely, by different people at the same location. For the most part I just ignore it because I know I'm going to be out of there in a few minutes, anyway. And I (almost) never do or say anything that's going make me the least little bit memorable, in any negative way, beyond a day or so.

There has been two occasions that I can recall where I told someone, very sincerely and matter-of-factly, "You can either talk to me in a civil manner in which you want to be talked to, or I can take this freight right back to where I got it. I really don't care which one you choose, I'm fine with it either way." In both cases the freight was delivered without incident.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Looks like a repeat of last week.
One offer in Atlanta area today. I was number 2 and didn't get it. I'm now number 1 with 96 hours of dwell time.
Looking at the app it seems everywhere in the south is dead.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It seems there are no exceptions anymore.
Decline the offer and lose the hours.
If that's the rule, that's fine. But the rules keep changing, and no one ever tells us about the changes. Can you imagine being, say, a player on the Detroit Lions, and every quarter the rules change, but no one bothers to tell you what the changes are. Can you imagine how much worse the Lions would be?

I do wonder why, if we get credit for turning down a robo call, why don't we get credit for any of the ones we accept?

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Had a load offer Monday and it was a low low offer that I couldn't run for and I declined it. Had 62 hours of idle time and lost it. I understand both the driver side and the company side. The other driver that had 70 hours and took the load. Maybe if the load gets covered the other driver or drivers don't loose there idle time. We had this going on a few years ago where if a load drop a certain cpm the driver didn't loose idle time. It's a tough time right now with rates dropping and it's not good for drivers and companies.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
So far an exact duplicate of last week. One load and one cancelled load. In the last 10 days my net income is $645. I guess I will have to make a decision between having electricity or Christmas this year. And this is in Atlanta. There are currently 6 straight trucks in the area. I'm number 1 with 140 hours of dwell time. Maybe tomorrow will be the day.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Need to break you out of the south east. Been slow down there.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So far an exact duplicate of last week. One load and one cancelled load. In the last 10 days my net income is $645. I guess I will have to make a decision between having electricity or Christmas this year. And this is in Atlanta. There are currently 6 straight trucks in the area. I'm number 1 with 140 hours of dwell time. Maybe tomorrow will be the day.

Speaking of net income. I just hit a all time high this year $100,000 :clapping-happy::cheering-clapping-smiley-emoticon::happydance:
Edit: Forgot to wear my reading glasses should read $10,000 :dash1:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Need to break you out of the south east. Been slow down there.

Finally got a load. To Panama City, FL.
It was either accept it or lose my dwell time and be number 6 in Atlanta. At least it pays well and is 200 miles from home if I can't get a miracle on Friday.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Happy Friday the 13TH :confused2:

Started the day off with no heat, as the Espar decided to act up.
Was able to get it going, not at 100%, but working enough for now.
Throwing codes: No Flame Detected and a new one that says check manual? Yeah, that's not very helpful :rolleyes:
Have a ThermoKing about 30 miles away. Will have to wait to see if I get a load today to go with my shorty for the week, or just end up having my dwell time reset again :morewaitingisrequired: