Changing Bulb on Promaster

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, you think you’re going to change a bulb in 5 minutes on a Promaster, like I did? I say nay nay. Be prepared to spend 40 minutes and potentially break a few things.

First, you’ll need a 4 way/phillips head screwdriver, a 10mm socket, needle nose pliers, and it helps if you have a deep seated hatred of yourself.

First, you remove the metal above (2 Phillip screws) and below (1 Phillip screw) the headlight. The top one just lift off easily and you shouldn’t have any problems.

The bottom one has 2 clips, so don’t pull back hard where you removed the screw. You can reach your hand in and get to the back clip. Front clip, Hell if I know, I ended up breaking it. Be careful removing at the end, but all in all shouldn’t take long.

Now, there are 3 10mm bolts holding in the headlight (1 above, 2 below). I used the wrench to get them started, then socket on a screwdriver handle adapter to get them unscrewed quicker.

One wire going to the headlight, push the one end in, slides right out. This is the only easy part.

Unscrew the back cap of which bulb you want to replace.

I needed to replace the daytime running lamp, which has a long plastic stem. If you look closely inside, it will show which direction to turn. You know what that plastic stem helps? Not a d**n thing. It broke off as soon as I turned it to unscrew it. If this happens to you, don’t fear. There are 4 slots, 2 taken up by the wires going into the bulb, and the other 2 Empty. Use the needle nose pliers and twist it out.

After putting in the new bulb I barely twisted it in, just enough to hold. It’s too fragile to be rough with.

As far as the other bulbs, idk, though I did hear not to mess with the screw, the come out by the wire I believe, but don’t fully know.

Anyway, I’m a Promaster Fanboy, I love my van, but even though I’m biased for the Promaster , this is crap design. A 3 out of 10, and I say 3 only because you got your money’s worth in screws and clips.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

guido4475

Not a Member
Its not like the old American slop bucket lol

Exactly, Dan. I lift 2 metal tabs with my fingers and the whole headlight assembly pulls out. Unplug the headlight. Unscrew the black plastic headlight ring and the headlight comes out. Less than 5 minutes. No tools required. I love my Ford. Built like a tank. Tried, true, ultra dependable.

Reactions: Compa and Solar

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On my 2017 sprinter there is a knob you turn and it pops out with bulb attached. Pop out pop in and your done. Takes about 3 minutes tops. A whole lot easier than my 2012. Plus there is a whole lot of room to get your hand down there on the 2017 without cutting up your hand.

Reactions: Solar and ntimevan

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’ve owned Chevrolet trucks since 1999, and they had 2 pins holding in the light, pull them out and you’re ready to change the bulb.

I drove a 2012 Sprinter last year, and it was a similar quick change.

The reason I went with Promaster over Transit is I’m 6’6”, and in a Promaster I can lay down fully side to side, whereas a Transit isn’t close in width.

I love my Promaster, but I have to admit, the front headlight setup is pretty bad. It holds together well, I don’t mean that. I just mean it’s not made for people to change efficiently.

Reactions: scottm4211

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On my 2017 sprinter there is a knob you turn and it pops out with bulb attached. Pop out pop in and your done. Takes about 3 minutes tops. A whole lot easier than my 2012. Plus there is a whole lot of room to get your hand down there on the 2017 without cutting up your hand.

Had to change out the headlight on my 2012 Sprinter, that was pretty easy. What I think, well I know, will be impossible for me, is changing out the marker light by it. There is no way I can reach the bulb with my fingers. Actually got them stuck in the hole for moment, that was fun :rolleyes:

Fortunately, 3 times so far, the marker light came back on each time after closing the hood ;)

But eventually, I'm sure it will not come back on.
I asked Wayne if there was a special tool or something to get at it.
Not much help, but agreed it's a pain to get at.
Sounds like I need Inspector Gadget for help on this one :rolleyes:

Reactions: Solar

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It’s a 5 minute job on promaster once you’ve done it.
Being that the bulbs only last about 6 weeks you can cut that 5 minutes in half in a few months.

Are there any LED replacement bulbs on the market yet for the ProMaster?

guido4475

Not a Member
JDM ASTAR 2x 9007 LED Headlight Kit HB5 60W 8000LM G2 Beam Bulbs 6500K Replace 763163953605 | eBay

I run these JDM Astar G2 series LED headlights and love them. Super bright, ( but not JDM's brightest model) these really light up the road at night, especially asphalt roads at night when its raining. The G2 series has the best overall light pattern, the most uniform and widespread while providing great long distance illumination. Keep in mind that LED headlights run cooler than standard headlights and wont melt the slush and snow off of them. Spray deicer in a bottle helps somewhat. But overall I love the brightness, and the whiteness of these lights. About a year so far with no trouble. And I run alot at night.

Reactions: RoadTime and Solar

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will be trying those bulbs next. I had an extra bulb in my last purchase.

Other bulb went out. Everything I went through on the other side also happened here. Both pieces that broken are now broken on both sides.