Radar detectors

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Seeing as how truck drivers are a lawful bunch and always obey the posted speed limit :rolleyes:, are detectors even used anymore?

Are Radar Detectors Worth it - Do Radar Detectors Work in 2019

https://www.speedtrap.org
Radar detectors are, like, totally illegal in a CMV.

They're also illegal even in passenger vehicles in Virginia, Washington, D.C., and on all military bases.

And, unless the law has changed (and why would it?) they're illegal in passenger vehicles in some Canadian provinces.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Seeing as how truck drivers are a lawful bunch and always obey the posted speed limit :rolleyes:, are detectors even used anymore?

Radar detectors are, like, totally illegal in a CMV.

They're also illegal even in passenger vehicles in Virginia, Washington, D.C., and on all military bases.

And, unless the law has changed (and why would it?) they're illegal in passenger vehicles in some Canadian provinces.
What about in your family sedan?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No need .... stay under the posted limit, never have any issues.
I use the speedometer on my garmin ... easy ...

Reactions: Ragman

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
Not only are they illegal in a CMV, they are for the most part useless today. Most traffic control LEO use the laser radar system. System that pegs you way before you see them.

Also, though not illegal in most states in a private vehicle.....if you get pulled over for speeding and you have one.....just expect to get a ticket .

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I was young and stupid and I had a radar detector. It saved my butt a couple of times. Leos used to keep their radar on all the time so the radar detector worked great. But then they became smarter and kept it off until they saw you. When the radar detector barked at you, you were caught already. Eventually someone stole my radar detector. Then I grew some brains and slowed down.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was young and stupid and I had a radar detector. It saved my butt a couple of times. Leos used to keep their radar on all the time so the radar detector worked great. But then they became smarter and kept it off until they saw you. When the radar detector barked at you, you were caught already. Eventually someone stole my radar detector. Then I grew some brains and slowed down.

Yeah, I did the same thing back in the day. Haven't had one since.
But, if I did just drive for personal use, I might get one of the good ones.
Even though, I'm normally the slowest one on the road already, stuff happens.
I wouldn't be opposed to any extra help, even if I didn't really need it :rolleyes:

Reactions: muttly

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Legality aside, all i know is, back in my rebellious youth, having a radar detector was the thing to do. Along with a cb, people would brag how quick they could get from point A tp point B. I dont hear that anymore.

Personally, i stopped using both a cb and detector when driving years ago.

Reactions: Solar and ntimevan

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver

They don't help too much. If the cop doesn't have the trigger pushed until you show up that thing won't pick it up. Driving fast with it will bite you in the butt! Dont go over 9mph on the interstate and 4mph in the small towns and you should be fine! I hear the prices for insurance go up a LOT with them speeding tickets on your record!

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Why not just go the speed limit whether on the interstate or in small towns? You will be fine for sure?

Reactions: Turtle

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Why not just go the speed limit whether on the interstate or in small towns? You will be fine for sure?

If someone is asking about a radar to spot cops I would think they are passed the idea of driving speed limit dont you think?

Sent from my SM-J337A using EO Forums mobile app

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They don't help too much. If the cop doesn't have the trigger pushed until you show up that thing won't pick it up. Driving fast with it will bite you in the butt! Dont go over 9mph on the interstate and 4mph in the small towns and you should be fine! I hear the prices for insurance go up a LOT with them speeding tickets on your record!
I dunno. In OH I saw more than my share of 5 mph over popped on the interstate. Once, hilariously when I was 5 mph over and I changed lanes and slowed down to limit, trooper got the car that was behind me doing the same speed

Ticket is a ticket when they're told to make their quota

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
I dunno. In OH I saw more than my share of 5 mph over popped on the interstate. Once, hilariously when I was 5 mph over and I changed lanes and slowed down to limit, trooper got the car that was behind me doing the same speed

Ticket is a ticket when they're told to make their quota
Gotta be very rare to be pulled over for 5 miles over on the interstate!

Sent from my SM-J337A using EO Forums mobile app

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a rare breed of cops near Cleveland for sure

It's probably rare for the entire police force of Willoughby to hold you at gunpoint, but it happened.

Well that's an exaggeration. Guns were drawn not pointed

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No story. I was sleeping in my van (illegal) and I was a suspicious vehicle (Canadian)

4 cruisers and a motorcycle. Willoughby "the courtesy city" doesn't get much excitement

Edit: funny thing was, that van had a dot legal sleeper