To those who have generators underneath their van.

@Viktor p

New Recruit
Driver
My question is would you recommend a generator that hangs underneath the van then having it Hang on a rack/rear door, if you have a generator underneath the van could you recommend a good brand and where you got yours from that would be great thanks!

@Viktor p

New Recruit
Driver
How much did it cost you and does it vibrate the van when it's on, also how much does it weigh and what kind of battery do you use to power it?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gen set was about $2,000 with the remote controls. Made my own mounts. Weighs less then 100#. I use my 2 house batteries to start the gen, then I installed a permanent battery charger to charge the batteries when gen is running. Slight vibration when first started but once warmed up it smooths out and becomes a little white noise that you don’t even notice. Runs my 13,500 btu Colman AC and allows microwave use while AC is running. It’s the Onan 2,800 watt unit. Been trouble free except the fuel pump. It was mounted to the generator and between heat and vibration it failed twice. Bought a remote fuel pump and mounted it very close to the van fuel tank and bypassed the factory pump. It draws off my vans fuel tank, just like my Espar does.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Moot and ntimevan

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
About the same price as a Honda 3,000 unit. But not having it stolen and the controls inside is so much more convenient!

@Viktor p

New Recruit
Driver
Gen set was about $2,000 with the remote controls. Made my own mounts. Weighs less then 100#. I use my 2 house batteries to start the gen, then I installed a permanent battery charger to charge the batteries when gen is running. Slight vibration when first started but once warmed up it smooths out and becomes a little white noise that you don’t even notice. Runs my 13,500 btu Colman AC and allows microwave use while AC is running. It’s the Onan 2,800 watt unit. Been trouble free except the fuel pump. It was mounted to the generator and between heat and vibration it failed twice. Bought a remote fuel pump and mounted it very close to the van fuel tank and bypassed the factory pump. It draws off my vans fuel tank, just like my Espar does.

Why do you use the espar when you can use the Heat with your Coleman air conditioner also can you elaborate more on the 2 house batteries?

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member

Why do you use the espar when you can use the Heat with your Coleman air conditioner also can you elaborate more on the 2 house batteries?

The heat strip in a rooftop a/c unit is not designed as a sole heat source. It just takes the chill off the air. The heat strip cycles while the blower motor is continuously running. Basically hot air, than cold air, back and forth. A Espar is so much more efficient of a heat source. Heat rises, so with the espar at floor level, it is heating floor level heat as it rises to the ceiling. And it is much more quieter. And if the generator or rooftop unit stops working, you have no auxiliary heat.

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver

Is there anything similar to this setup that's a lot less expensive? My boss won't go for that price. He barely bought espar and I had to install it myself!

Sent from my SM-J337A using EO Forums mobile app

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
IMO if boss wants money, boss should buy...but you may be stuck getting your own gen and putting in a frame for a small window a/c

If you have no walk through or door to the box...i dunno

There ARE front bumper mounts for gens as well as swing away rear ones

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I drove a Sprinter with a frame mounted Power Service generator which was a great addition while it worked. It was difficult to self-service without a lift or pit. It often required a reset but the reset button was located on the genset so, I had to install a remote reset switch inside the van. The forward side of the genset had a spray/debris shield which was dented in as much as possible due to road debris and ice and snow. The road clearance was only 6 inches so care was necessary when backing toward a curb in parking spaces. I never slept in the van so security was not an issue; I should have ordered a portable generator for ease of use.

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
It's a small straight :) I want it because I installed a separate 10 gallon tank for diesel which I use to feed my espar. So I would love to figure a way t on use that same tank to feed the diesel generator. Besides it eating diesel much slower I wouldn't have to put gas in as often.

Sent from my SM-J337A using EO Forums mobile app