GMC vs Ford

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For what this thread turned into: Communication issue. I don't think a small truck should show up at a place that can't load it either.

But in 12 years, I haven't been steered wrong by my carrier. We've gotten a fair amount of new business from shippers that simply didn't know the size or weight capacity of vans. They just needed the information, and to see it done.

Why ship 1 skid in a straight truck or tt?

(When within weight n size of course)

To the thread title :D GM even tho I'm a ford man. But you have to look at the engines. The 6.0 advice was good. Up until recently the 5.4 ford was a disaster. And gm's ride better

Only exception would be the v10 ford...thats a potential million mile motor...if you can keep it fed

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
So in a small straight truck (not a cube)....is it under 10K gross?

I also agree. If a shipper requests a dock high straight truck, that's what needs to be provided. I've seen a few shippers and one cosignee get upset because they requested a straight truck and got one that wasn't dock high.....
Yeah under 10k. Sure they should get what they pay for but that's "upper management" issues. If you get dispatched somewhere and the shipper ain't happy, you got absolutely nothing to do with it. Its between the shipper and the broker. Most of the time even the dispatcher has nothing to do with it because the broker just makes sure that the load would fit inside and doesn't tell the dispatcher anything about TRUE dock high request. A lot of times its shoppers "fault" because they don't specify it because they don't think anything but a dock high big straight can arrive though that is very rare nowadays since these small straight trucks have made their presence known for a decade. This whole topic is pretty useless. The question was the GMC or Ford?!

So if it's still under 10K, what are the benefits of running one? Dual or single rear tires?

Yes of course, you're not booking the load that is the responsibility of someone higher up than you. And you don't have any control or even know what equipment was requested. However, people from the companies that I seen who became upset over it, made statements they would not go with that carrier again.

So yes they technically got that load that time, but do you really think they were going to be called again? When a customer wants something... They don't want part of it. Or usually even a substitute for it. That's coming from a consumer.

Like me going to get my oil changed. I tell them it needs to be mobile 1..... But they put in Valvoline instead. Yes technically Valvoline will work, but it's not what I told them to use . Which results in me no longer using that place to change my oil.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: ntimevan

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
For what this thread turned into: Communication issue. I don't think a small truck should show up at a place that can't load it either.

But in 12 years, I haven't been steered wrong by my carrier. We've gotten a fair amount of new business from shippers that simply didn't know the size or weight capacity of vans. They just needed the information, and to see it done.

To the thread title :D GM even tho I'm a ford man. But you have to look at the engines. The 6.0 advice was good. Up until recently the 5.4 ford was a disaster. And gm's ride better

Only exception would be the v10 ford...thats a potential million mile motor...if you can keep it fed
You are absolutely right, most of them just dont know and once they find out everything is fine. About the Ford, I ride 4.7 motor. 70k miles, so far so good! Hope it keeps up!

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like me going to get my oil changed. I tell them it needs to be mobile 1..... But they put in Valvoline instead. Yes technically Valvoline will work, but it's not what I told them to use . Which results in me no longer using that place to change my oil.
Yeah. Our method is different, the customer is made aware. Whether the shipper is, that's harder

Reactions: TFTN-one3B

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Respect the straight truck owner operators and stick with van freight in a van. Why try to turn a van into a straight to begin with?

I believe this guy works at the home of the 6 pallet Transits.

I can never tell when he’s being serious or sarcastic.

....and he may be driving a cube.

Dont be such a jerk off. You know damm well what I'm talking about.

Actually, I don’t.
This is the most confusing thread for me.

We’re talking a box truck, bigger than a cube, but under 10,000 lbs, when many cubes are over 10,000 lbs.

BTW, you’re awful grumpy for a dude working for the land of wine and roses.
Try stopping in a strip club with good looking women. It might improve your disposition.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually there isn't anything to be confused about.

Guido's is SRW I believe, under 10k

Without a pic, I can only surmise SoG is dually...with all that entails...

Reactions: ntimevan

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Just got a load driving a 2000lbs conveyer machine for Tesla. It so huge! Gotta go to MN. Thinking of skipping on driving through WY with the winds and all. Idaho and Montana here I come!

Reactions: brokcanadian

guido4475

Not a Member

You are absolutely right, most of them just dont know and once they find out everything is fine. About the Ford, I ride 4.7 motor. 70k miles, so far so good! Hope it keeps up!

Do you mean a 4.6 engine?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just got a load driving a 2000lbs conveyer machine for Tesla. It so huge! Gotta go to MN. Thinking of skipping on driving through WY with the winds and all. Idaho and Montana here I come!
Just an Idea here .. a picture of your Small Straight / Van showing inside box and everything , might help clear up the murky waters..
By the way .... GMC is my choice .

Reactions: Grizzly