GMC vs Ford

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
If you are to purchase a brand new chassi to put a box on and do expediting work and a small straight truck, which one would you choose? Ford Transit or GMC?
Feel free to elaborate!

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
I would forget about this nonsense of a small straight. It is nothing more than a cube van. If you want a straight truck, get a straight truck.

I'm sure the guys on TTR will tell you the same.
What is it that trouble you my friend? I am driving one now and it's great. No need for a lock book or anything. Why would I want a bigger one?

guido4475

Not a Member
The only advantage that I see with a so- called " small straight" is that you are hauling more than 3 skids at times to keep moving in slow areas. Does the rate change? I've seen shippers lose their sh*t when they booked for a straight and a cube pulls up. But got charged for a straight. He turned that truck and driver away. He literally looked at me and said, "what the f*ck???"....lol I told him we may have a straight close by, which we did. Problem solved. Anyways, there may be a reason why a customer wants a straight for even 1- 800# skid. Like no ramp at the consignee.

Respect the straight truck owner operators and stick with van freight in a van. Why try to turn a van into a straight to begin with?

As far as a vehicle is concerned, they all have their faults. G.M. has weak trannys. I have quite a few friends that have went through so many G.M. transmissions. The 6.0 is a decent engine, but a 4.8 I'd stay away from. Underpowered for what we do. City use, it would be fine.

The Transit? I'd love to get one, but New vehicle warranties are not that great, what, 3 year 36,000 miles? Who wants a payment AND a repair eventually? Honestly, I think that Ford dropped the ball on a Transit, it should of been so much more after all the introductory delays into production. The lack of drivers side windshield pillar grab handle, and the emergency brake/parking brake on the floor leaves me shaking my head. But I almost bought one in spite of this fine example of engineering stupidity.

The Econoline is still available, but no longer with the 5.4 V8. It has either the V10 gas, or the 6.2 engine in it. There is a dealer in Stevens Point, Wi, that can order them de-rated under 10,000 GVW. A d he knows how to set them up, Econoline or Transit, properly.

Scaffidi Truck Center - New & Used Heavy Duty Trailers, Medium Trailers, Loaders, Sales, Service, and Parts in Stevens Point, WI, near Prentice, Abbotsford, Antigo, and Crandon

Reactions: TFTN-one3B

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Respect the straight truck owner operators and stick with van freight in a van. Why try to turn a van into a straight to begin with?

I believe this guy works at the home of the 6 pallet Transits.

I can never tell when he’s being serious or sarcastic.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Econoline is still available, but no longer with the 5.4 V8. It has either the V10 gas, or the 6.2 engine in it. There is a dealer in Stevens Point, Wi, that can order them de-rated under 10,000 GVW. A d he knows how to set them up, Econoline or Transit, properly.

Scaffidi Truck Center - New & Used Heavy Duty Trailers, Medium Trailers, Loaders, Sales, Service, and Parts in Stevens Point, WI, near Prentice, Abbotsford, Antigo, and Crandon

Ahhh, these are small straights .. are they not?
"De-rated" under 10K cube ... isn't that exactly what we're talking about?

zebra.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: ALieNUpsTAirS

guido4475

Not a Member

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
The only advantage that I see with a so- called " small straight" is that you are hauling more than 3 skids at times to keep moving in slow areas. Does the rate change? I've seen shippers lose their sh*t when they booked for a straight and a cube pulls up. But got charged for a straight. He turned that truck and driver away. He literally looked at me and said, "what the f*ck???"....lol I told him we may have a straight close by, which we did. Problem solved. Anyways, there may be a reason why a customer wants a straight for even 1- 800# skid. Like no ramp at the consignee.

As far as a vehicle is concerned, they all have their faults. G.M. has weak trannys. I have quite a few friends that have went through so many G.M. transmissions. The 6.0 is a decent engine, but a 4.8 I'd stay away from. Underpowered for what we do. City use, it would be fine.

The Transit? I'd love to get one, but New vehicle warranties are not that great, what, 3 year 36,000 miles? Who wants a payment AND a repair eventually? Honestly, I think that Ford dropped the ball on a Transit, it should of been so much more after all the introductory delays into production. The lack of drivers side windshield pillar grab handle, and the emergency brake/parking brake on the floor leaves me shaking my head. But I almost bought one in spite of this fine example of engineering stupidity.

There has to be something between a van and a 24ft truck, and we are it!

As far as shippers, I had 2 things happen in the past 5 month. One time I came to this small factory where after seeing my truck guy lost his stuff! He cursed and talked to me like I am a peasant I get amused when that happens. So basically he was mad that I wasn't dock high and when I wanted to tell him something he just yelled. So i left him alone to go call whoever he ordered the truck and I went to pull out my my awesome ramps. 10 minutes later he comes out and booyah I am dock high ready to get loaded. Long story short in the end he was saying: "sorry you know I was just playing around". Right

Second is when I came to a huge distribution center in Reno and the guy said he cannot allow me to use ramps because it's as he said was a "safety issue". I can tell you that there is no issue. Used it plenty time. But out of the 5 month of work that was only one time I was turned away because of the truck that I have and that was only 10 empty miles from Sparks...

What am I trying to say. We make more then sprinters do and a little less then large straights which are 24ft +. There is definately a market for it and its more comfortable to drive this then a 24ft+ anyway!

P.S. Stop calling it a cube, you are a cube of :D

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I disagree ... when a customer specifically states "dock high", it should be honored.
It is a safety issue, doesn't matter how many times you've done it.

Edit: ..... and when either you or whoever books the load for you doesn't inform the customer, I think that's bad business practice. Get serious ...

Reactions: Compa and guido4475

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well if he gets shippers used to "small straights" maybe it'll make my life easier

Usually some higher up makes the decision (saving money or time) to send me, and after I get blasted by the shipper, they creak open that rusty side door and load me outside...

Reactions: xmudman

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
I disagree ... when a customer specifically states "dock high", it should be honored.
This has nothing to do with honored as well as customer and me are miles apart in the chain. When dispatchers get loads from a board, its posted by the broker who gotten it from a customer. Now when they need someone who can be high as a dock they ask for dock high vehicle, which means he can be ad high as a dock. Using ramps or not. Then there is another way to request real dock high vehicles, it's called TRUE DOCK HIGH on the board meaning it HAS to be dock high in own. Both ways are legit and VERY few people have an issue with it. Well some people just have issues so they gotta blow everything out of proportion because their day isn't going well. That's everywhere.

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Well if he gets shippers used to "small straights" maybe it'll make my life easier

Usually some higher up makes the decision (saving money or time) to send me, and after I get blasted by the shipper, they creak open that rusty side door and load me outside...
Hahahaha they are just lazy. Shippers are already used to it. Small straights been around for a decade now!

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver

Edit: ..... and when either you or whoever books the load for you doesn't inform the customer, I think that's bad business practice. Get serious ...
I have nothing to do with booking. I get an address and I show up. TAADAAAA

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Would it not be easier to just get a class B and a straight? I hear there's too many vans (and I haven't moved this week)

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Hahahaha they are just lazy. Shippers are already used to it. Small straights been around for a decade now!

Lazy ...? Don't attempt to tell me how things work. You sound like a flake ....

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I have nothing to do with booking. I get an address and I show up. TAADAAAA

Yep, you're a steering wheel holder. Congratulations ...

Reactions: TFTN-one3B

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
So in a small straight truck (not a cube)....is it under 10K gross?

I also agree. If a shipper requests a dock high straight truck, that's what needs to be provided. I've seen a few shippers and one cosignee get upset because they requested a straight truck and got one that wasn't dock high.....

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
So in a small straight truck (not a cube)....is it under 10K gross?

I also agree. If a shipper requests a dock high straight truck, that's what needs to be provided. I've seen a few shippers and one cosignee get upset because they requested a straight truck and got one that wasn't dock high.....
Yeah under 10k. Sure they should get what they pay for but that's "upper management" issues. If you get dispatched somewhere and the shipper ain't happy, you got absolutely nothing to do with it. Its between the shipper and the broker. Most of the time even the dispatcher has nothing to do with it because the broker just makes sure that the load would fit inside and doesn't tell the dispatcher anything about TRUE dock high request. A lot of times its shoppers "fault" because they don't specify it because they don't think anything but a dock high big straight can arrive though that is very rare nowadays since these small straight trucks have made their presence known for a decade. This whole topic is pretty useless. The question was the GMC or Ford?!