Seasoned Sprinter Dweller About To Begin Expiditing - Few Questions

Dog Nerd Daily

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Editing this as the feedback is starting to get unhelpful. Thanks for all the constructive feedback I'm implementing the changes presently!

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You'll need to get your replacement driver's license before you can do anything. The carrier will want a copy of it. Some shippers and receivers will want a copy of it. Far as I know, it’s illegal in every state to drive without a valid driver’s license on your person.

Instead of going to the DMV and getting a state ID, you should go to the DMV and get a duplicate driver's license. It's like $28.

If you go to pick up two 1200 pound pallets and they put one in the side door, how you gonna move it to get the second one in? Doesn't matter. When you back the van up a ramp to get loaded or unloaded, if you tell them you only have access to the freight from the side door, they will laugh and tell you to go away.

Reactions: guido4475

Dog Nerd Daily

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Hi Turtle, thank you so much for that! In my case the dl itself IS a piece of paper - that's how CA does temp class A licenses.

And I read you loud and Clear regarding cargo, on it!

Dog Nerd Daily

Rookie Expediter
Researching
You'll need to get your replacement driver's license before you can do anything. The carrier will want a copy of it. Some shippers and receivers will want a copy of it. Far as I know, it’s illegal in every state to drive without a valid driver’s license on your person.

Instead of going to the DMV and getting a state ID, you should go to the DMV and get a duplicate driver's license. It's like $28.

If you go to pick up two 1200 pound pallets and they put one in the side door, how you gonna move it to get the second one in? Doesn't matter. When you back the van up a ramp to get loaded or unloaded, if you tell them you only have access to the freight from the side door, they will laugh and tell you to go away.

Thank you Turtle! Will reconfigure accordingly!

Dog Nerd Daily

Rookie Expediter
Researching
For what its worth I thought as much but was told otherwise by a guy with a moving company. Guess it's different in his industry.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Covering the entire US & Canada, with an unlimited radius is not unique.

The dogs will limit freight opportunities.

Whether you supply your own insurance or the carrier provides it, your mvr matters. That piece of paper from dmv I believe basically says you passed the written test ... it's the cdl permit. You still need to pass the practical portion. Translation ... that paper doesn't mean much at all. You've been driving around without your driver's license. Why? Only you know. Overdue fines from moving/parking violations would be my guess.

Just my gut feeling ... you're not getting on with a tier one, tier two or any reputable carrier. There are plenty of companies willing to take advantage of someone, they'll take you ... if they can even hire you.

Reactions: Turtle

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just to echo the previous comments, and state the obvious. You don’t need CDLs to drive a van. The most you would need is the state equivalent of a taxi cab drivers license, which is a written test, that’s it. Your regular dL with taxi written test. You could get that done in a day.

As far as loads, they’re going to load you in the back, and you’ll want the potential of at least 144” that can be given to freight.

If you’re already a van dweller, you’ll probably love this business, just take your time, do your homework, and do it right.

Reactions: dalscott

guido4475

Not a Member
I have a multi carrier freind who has this crazy idea of wanting to get a 31' Ford chassis motorhome, cut a back door into it, and create an area big enough for two skids side by side, and live in the rest.....lol.

Can you imagine the look on shippers faces as he would pull up to get loaded? I'm still laughing...lmao..

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a multi carrier freind who has this crazy idea of wanting to get a 31' Ford chassis motorhome, cut a back door into it, and create an area big enough for two skids side by side, and live in the rest.....lol.

Can you imagine the look on shippers faces as he would pull up to get loaded? I'm still laughing...lmao..

You probably laughed at your multi carrier friend before he came up with the motor home idea.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry ....
Guy gets on here says, hey I don't have a driver's license but I like living in my van. He's told ... ah, yeah ... you'll love this business.
Business skills? MVR? Work ethic? Professionalism? Punctuality? Apparently none of that matters anymore ...

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Guy gets on here says, hey I don't have a driver's license but I like living in my van. He's told ... ah, yeah ... you'll love this business.
Business skills? MVR? Work ethic? Professionalism? Punctuality? Apparently none of that matters anymore ...

It’s a new era dude.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Edit. He’s done an edit to the opening post.
He doesn’t like the latest advice.
Says he’s listening, and will adjust.

Give him a participation trophy and move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solar

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Lol
Guilty as charged, I am.

Most people that have Business skills, Work ethic, Professionalism, and Punctuality do not live in a van. So you’re either the above, and adjust to living in a van, or you live in a van, and discover a way to make a good living, and learn to take the job seriously.

I’ve always personally wondered why people would live in a van and not use it to make $? It’s like a person owning a dump truck but never hauling anything.