Higher mileage Promaster

nfougere

New Recruit
Driver
So I'm interested in getting this 2016 3500 Promaster for a great deal and with lots of paperwork included of maintenance records.
My question is do companies refuse higher mileage trucks to run with them? Truck runs and looks great except for a scratch along the right side but nothing that ugly. No rust issues.
What do you guys have as experience with running as owner/operators and higher mileage trucks? Thanks.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm at 655,555. My carrier doesn't ask and I don't tell. Once it hit 1,000,000 miles and reset, I'll report in at 200 miles. Lol...

Really, if you stick with same carrier for a long time, they tend to ignore the high mileage.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That age and mileage shouldn’t be a problem. Not sure of your timeline is for getting started. I’d be checking different carriers/companies to see who might be signing on van’s.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm at 655,555. My carrier doesn't ask and I don't tell. Once it hit 1,000,000 miles and reset, I'll report in at 200 miles. Lol...

Really, if you stick with same carrier for a long time, they tend to ignore the high mileage.

I agree, unless it is prone to breakdowns resulting in service failures.

Love that mileage reading Moot! I might get that reading.....I might, hopefully might. Lol....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
agree with MOOT....when it starts breaking down under load is what gets the office's unwanted attention....unreliability will cost you loads...dispatchers will avoid your unit on some loads...

added: and thats whether it is high mileage or not.. IE: NOT doing regular maintenance .....
You are a BUSINESS...re investing some capital back into your equipment will usually always pay dividends...
when you create WORK for dispatch by breaking down they have a tendency to remember..;)

Last edited:

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know with Fedex it’s age not millage to sign on. My step father has an 05 with 902,000 on it. (chevy express). He signed it on when it was new. It’s his 3rd van with them. They won’t sign it on over 5 years old but you can keep it for ever. If it becomes a problem child then there will probably be an issue. I have 520,+ on my promaster and will repower at least once. Probably around 750 if it doesn’t fail before that. I’d rather do it at my shop rather than on the road. When it starts to rust it’ll go. So far it’s rust free. I crawl around under mine in the summer and touch up anything that looks like it might turn to rust. A repower on these promasters is cheap.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
New motor and transmission.
You said it’s cheap for a promaster, and I know that’s relative to others. What’s the range of that price wise? I don’t hope to be doing this soon, but best to prepare.
An engine can be bought for a grand and up low mileage, 20-30,000. I’ve seen engines with less than a hundred miles for 1800 +\-. Transmission with a 3 year unlimited mileage run 2600 shipped with free shipping for the core. Whole low mileage vans can be found on Copart. A repower doing your own labor can be done for less than 5 grand. Get another four years out of it. I’ll do a repower, drive it for another year and sell it. Take 30% for a year and sign it over. Good deal for a newbie with no start up.