Chevy express 2008 correct tire pressure?

Aleks

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
so I have a Chevy Express 2008. I am not sure what the correct tire pressure is for all of my tires. I do not believe I am anywhere near Max load. My tires are all p 245 forward slash 75 R16. The driver side front tire says max PSI 44. The passenger side front tire says max PSI 44. the passenger rear tire says max PSI 44. the drivers side rear tire says max PSI 35. the sticker inside the door says 50 psi for front and 80 psi for back. the driver side front and passenger side rear are the same Tire, the other two are different.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like you have different PLY tires on the van.. You need 10 ply .. Load range E .. and follow recommended tire pressure from factory's door plate..

Common Sense doesn't come with Directions

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Your shop is trying to kill you as these tires are not safe at all for the amount of heavy loads we take.... you NEED load range E tires or your going to have a blow out.

The p in p245 75 r16 stands for passenger you need a light truck tire like Michelin defenders.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Aleks, Please take Dan's comment seriously and replace all of your tires with the proper load rating for the work of the van expediter. A blowout while loaded to what you or your carrier think is your max capacity, in the intense heat of the day on a remote interstate hwy, will cost you far more than replacement tires. Not convinced? Check the maximum load limit on each of your tires, add the four numbers and you'll have the maximum weight limit of your vehicle. Next fill your tank and weigh the van with you and all your equipment in it. The difference between the combined weights on your tires and the scale weight will be the maximum weight of the freight that you can legally carry. Safety should be your primary concern.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Doofoses recommended and installed passenger tires and you need light truck tires. Light truck tires (same as 10 ply, or range E) are easy to spot. They will have the maximum cold pressure printed on the side as 80 psi. Passenger tires are only 44, or 35, some 50.

CHANGE THEM ASAP.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He's got a 2008 Chevrolet Express. No mention if it is a 1500, 2500 or 3500. Three different vehicles with 3 different GVWRs. The tire dude may have installed the proper tires for his van. Not enough info to lay the blame on the tire installer.

Aleks

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks for all the advice guys. It is a 2500 yes. I actually own a pressure washing business and transport my 500 lb pressure washer and other various equipment, the weight rarely changes much. Although it is at times packed to the top but not necessarily with very heavy items. I doubt that makes a difference? Ill go back to them and figure it out.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for all the advice guys. It is a 2500 yes. I actually own a pressure washing business and transport my 500 lb pressure washer and other various equipment, the weight rarely changes much. Although it is at times packed to the top but not necessarily with very heavy items. I doubt that makes a difference? Ill go back to them and figure it out.
Ok, Now knowing your not expediting, and only carrying 500 pounds around. I'm leaning back to your tires may be fine for your purpose.
I would imagine even a passenger van could handle 500 pounds safely. People can weigh more then that. Just my thoughts

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the OEM door sticker states pressures of 50 lbs. front and 90 lbs. rear then the van came from the factory with load range E tires. If it was me, I'd return the tires and go to a different tire shop for the correct tires. Be prepared to pay more for load range E tires though.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If we load up our pressure washer and gear to go do any work it easily totals 1100 lbs in the back of a pickup.

Regardless of the load carried, your van was designed to have LT rated tires on it and the suspension etc is matched to how an LT tire behaves. LT tires also last much longer than P tires so what you saved up front will be more than eaten up by loudy treadlife.

Shops routinely sell P tires into LT applications so they can appear to be cheaper than a competitor. They don't have your best interests in mind at all.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everyone else has said the same thing I would tell you: DANGER- WRONG TIRES. REPLACE THEM FORTHWITH, posthaste and/or immediately.

You were sold the wrong tires for your application; the sticker on the door will tell you which tires you need, and that’s what you need to go by. When you go back to the tire shop, hopefully they’ll work with you. If not, drop the words “small claims court” into the conversation and see if that helps.

Ignoring this could get you killed in an accident. Even if you don’t get hurt, almost any lawyer would clean you out, at which point your wife would kill you silently in the night.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: ntimevan

Terry Jacks

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
The Michelin Tire Pressure Guide, available free on-line from Michelin, shows the appropriate air pressure based on Axle weight, and individual weight on each tire. It also lists several tire/rim sizes along with the required pressure to safely support the load. This save tires from premature failure and excessive tread wear. On my 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4, Crew Cab with Duramax and Allison drivetrain, the pressures I use are quite a bit lower than the factory plackard pressures, because those pressures are fora vehicle that is at GVWR. Truck + Load +_ Trailer. The GMC is 80 FRoNT AND 80 REAR). I usually run 42 in the front and 35 in the rear because those pressures correspond to the actual weight I am carrying while EMPTY. I think the factory covers it's Tail by always displaying the highest pressures (for GVWR). Be mindful that you MUST run with Load Range E tires with these kinds of pressures. Mine happen to be 265/75-16 Cooper A/T 3's. Do yourself two favors; use Load Range E, and use the appropriate tire inflation psi based on that chart. Carry it with you in the truck, and you will always have correct pressure references for your Load.Too much pressure means excessive wear in the center tread. Too little pressure means excessive wear on outer treads, AND increased possibility of a blow out.

Last edited: