Lowering gvw

Tzapul

Active Expediter
Hi guys.
I found a deal too good to pass, but a small (or big) issue.
I found myself owning a Sprinter box truck with a Morgan 14 feet box behind.
The issue that I have is that the GVW is over 10000 lb.
is there any way that I can get that under 10000 lb?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You MIGHT be able to get Morgan to reduce the GVW on the sticker. If not, welcome to the world of logging and scaling.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Paint it YELLOW ..

Lol , i just had to say it ..

Common Sense doesn't come with Directions

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The issue that I have is that the GVW is over 10000 lb.
is there any way that I can get that under 10000 lb?
OK, I'm going to go by what you typed, focusing in on GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight). So, the issue is the vehicle weighs more than 10000 pounds, and you need it to weigh less. You need to shed some weight. If you haven't seen the movie The Martian, I highly recommend it, as the last third of the movie is an excellent tutorial on how to get a vehicle to weigh less.

Now, on the other hand, and I'm just spitballin' here, if what you meant to communicate is GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and the vehicle is rated for more than 10000 pounds irrespective of the vehicle's actual weight at the moment, then the answer to your question is yes, there is a way to get that under 10000 pounds, but it's highly unlikely that you will be able to do so, as it is entirely dependent on a single factor, which xmudman touched on. That factor being, if Morgan replaced the original manufacturer's GVWR plate under the driver's seat with a new rating when they installed the box, they can (but are not likely to) replace that plate with a new one for you.

Sometimes upfitters will re-rate a vehicle, but if they do that without going through the manufacturer and having the vehicle VINed, they're on their own as far as vehicle sign-off and certification is concerned. Re-rating a vehicle is affected by emissions requirements, crash safety, brakes, or other Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) requirements. Many factors must be considered. And that's why upfitters are so reticent to re-rate a vehicle without having it VINed through the manufacturer's Vehicle Special Order (VSO) department. Too many upfitters have found themselves on the wrong end of a legal proceeding regarding the FMVSS requirements.

Now, you could of course take the arguably Code of Conduct-violating advice (Section 13) from Post #2, but I don't recommend it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Reread post two.
I did not ADVISE anybody to do anything.
I just stated a fact.
Stating what "most" people do, as if it's perfectly fine and normal, is giving advice.

Most people do not, in fact, just put UNDER 10,000 GVW decals on and ride, so your stated fact isn't even a fact.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Of all the yellow duallies:
1) get vehicle derated
2) run logs /go in scales
3) decal falsely

What do we see most of them do ?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most people do not, in fact, just put UNDER 10,000 GVW decals on and ride, so your stated fact isn't even a fact.
Most expediters who own DRW cubes or box trucks do slap on UNDER 10,000 GVWR. I don't believe many would go the logging route. The whole purpose of running a DRW box truck that is just over 10,000 GVWR is to haul as much freight as you can stuff into it and try to pass the truck off as an under 10K GVWR van.

My guess is the OP will do the same. Buy now, ask relevant questions about the purchase after the fact.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Most just put UNDER 10,000 GVW decals on and ride.

Hey Tzapul, you’ve been a member over 3 years.
I’m sure you realize that putting a phony decal on subjects you to all sorts of legal and possibly liability issues.
That’s why you’re wanting to lower the rating.