2008 268A NO HIGH BEAM

Joe M

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Have put in new fusebox, harnesses and both headlights but still the high-beams don't come on. it had 2 codes before it went to the shop; P200 & P1676. Any help out there we be appreciated.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Have put in new fusebox, harnesses and both headlights but still the high-beams don't come on. it had 2 codes before it went to the shop; P200 & P1676. Any help out there we be appreciated.
I'll be able to do more when I get in front of a wiring diagram.

I don't know what p1676 is offhand.

P200 isn't a code. I'm assuming you mean p2002, which is a failure to regen. This has MANY causes. Is the tailpipe black with heavy soot? Does it ever have low power or even stalling during an automatic regen? Did the DPR graph ever jump from 1-2 bars to 5 or higher with no warning? How many miles between automatic regens? Did it frequently ask for manual regens? The more specific you can be, the better.

In the meantime, search this forum for ITV modification. This is something that you can do if you have a drill and a 1/8 drill bit. The ITV has to be in good condition with no shaft play and tight throttle plate screws. If the screws are loose, replace it. This will likely solve low power or stalling during auto regen.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Joe M

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Yeah the first code is P2002..this truck has a new turbo, DPR ashtray and it was doing the auto Regen @ 3 bars but suddenly stopped but it does not go over 3 bars. It only required manual Regen if it sat overnite and did not do the auto regen the previous day by closing time. Tail pipe has not sooty and doesnt lose noticecable power during an auto regen.
Can the lighhts over the gate afffect the high beams if they have a loose ground wire and how can I figure where a loose ground wire can be at?
Any help on the P1676?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
P1676 is not in the 2008 manual. It is in the 2009 manual though. Does this thing have an Eaton Ultrashift? The code is for fuel cut relay malfunction. I'll have to look into that further.

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
IMG_20180326_074157414.jpgIMG_20180326_074208602.jpg

I would test the fuel cut relay for proper operation, or just replace it. The troubleshooting condemns the relay, wiring harness, or Ultrashift ecu.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
For the high beams, the multifunction switch is the most likely culprit.

Marker lights are on a completely different circuit, so other lights won't affect the high beams.

If you have lights that don't function but they have voltage at both the power and ground points, they have poor grounds. There should be almost no voltage directly after an electrical load, save for a tenth of a volt or two, from circuit resistance.

Joe M

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
hey greasytshirt,
They finally got the high-beams working and reset the codes but after I took it and drove it about 15 miles home the DPR bars shot to 5 Bars and the codes p2002 & p1676 came back, took it back to them next day but they don't seem to know whats up with days down. this truck has a new turbo, new dpf, new fuse box, new wiring harness and head light ...am about giving up now ..and the funny thing..they could not locate the Fuel Cut Off Relay you suggested on the previous post even after giving them the print out.....

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Does the transmission warning light ever come on, or does it ever have problems?

This transmission made it into few Hinos. It wasn't a popular option. The only one I ever worked on had a transmission wiring harness that tested bad.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Joe, if you can. Get to greasy. I DH over 500 miles just so he can work on my truck. The money you are going to keep spending at the shop, You can save by going to VA for a couple of days if needed. Just my 2 cents. I am pushing 900K on my 07’ 338 Hino. Thanks to greasy.

Joe M

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi Greasy, does the transmission type has something to do with the DPR filter acting up? I did a manual regen and after completion, the bars did not clear and the codes P1676 & P2002 came back on, they say its the filter but 4 months olds....any pointers?