A Fist Full Of Stupid

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got home last Saturday and went OOS until Monday night. When going back into service I sent a canned QC message stating I was in service. I have an appointment with my tax accountant this Saturday morning so in the remarks section of the QC message I stated I was available for loads 700 miles or less. I also sent a free-form message requesting loads 700 miles or less. I didn't want to get too far away.

Tuesday morning I get a load offer to Connecticut, 1300 + miles. I explain to the dispatcher that I was down for loads 700 miles or less. There was one other van on the board so it wasn't a big problem covering the load. He said they would look for another, shorter load for me.

Later I found out he dinged me with a refusal so I called what previously was called Contractor Relations. After 17 minutes on hold (the recorded greeting said there was one caller ahead of me) the not so nice lady answered my call. I explained my load request and the offer I got dinged for. After some brief research she said I can't ask for specific loads. She then used the example of someone requesting only minis. WTF! At Panther who requests only minis that pay $80?

I told her I'd play the game and to put me OOS until Saturday afternoon. So much for customer service and partnership. Are other carriers more flexible when it comes to outrageous demands such as mine when it comes to load mileage. I can understand refusing to accommodate drivers that want 1000+ mile loads, but a request for less than 700 miles? Gots me a fist full of stupid and five days off. Make that six days off. The forecast for the Cities is two rounds of snow totaling 10 to 12 inches. Sunday is sliding day with my granddaughter.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Have you been allowed to do this in the past without being dinged? If so, and there was no notice given to policy change, then you have a precedent to go by and I would call contract relations back. If they won't budge then escalate it. If their policy hasn't previously allowed it, then I would suggest you are developing a sense of entitlement based on the length of your tenure at Panther.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have you been allowed to do this in the past without being dinged?
I have. I did it a few weeks ago prior to taking 10 days off. I have done it several times over the years but only when at home and there are fewer vans than projected loads. I figure I can get an extra load in and deadhead home and Panther can cover a customer's load request. One of those win, win, win situations.

If so, and there was no notice given to policy change, then you have a precedent to go by and I would call contract relations back. If they won't budge then escalate it.
This is Panther. I have been dinged before and had intelligent Contractor Relation persons remove the refusal. Policy is up to interpretation by whom ever you are talking to at the time. When I get a load requiring a 5 hour break I get a QC notice that states I must take a 5 hour break before x time which is the 16 hour max time. I have one dispatcher who insists the break must be taken exactly at the 16th hour, no sooner and has even interrupted my sleep to inform me of that.

If their policy hasn't previously allowed it, then I would suggest you are developing a sense of entitlement based on the length of your tenure at Panther.
When it comes to Panther, I have no sense of entitlement. The longer I have been there, the more I expect to be passed over because of my higher rate, outrageous demands and general confusion that exists here . I just needed to vent on the price of embracing the stupidity. I feel better already! Looking forward to sliding Sunday with my granddaughter and not other vehicles. Thank you Panther!

Oh yea, grilled chicken this afternoon for tortilla soup Saturday and put on a crock pot of potato soup for tomorrow. Gots to have that comfort food for a snowy weekend.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I figure I can get an extra load in and deadhead home and Panther can cover a customer's load request. One of those win, win, win situations.
In the thinking persons world this should work for everyone. Unfortunately when there is no clear cut policy defined in these matters, and more is left to interpretation, chaos and poor morale are the result.

How does dispatch work at Panther? Are there local or regional dispatchers that operate separate from long haul?

Road Pirate

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
My broker is awesome. They kinda fell in my lap, and have been great to me with loads. Lots of tier 1 goodies and miles. Messege me if you want some info.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when I was at CEVA, I told them a head of time this is what I've got going on , this is what I can do , and they worked with me. that is why last year I came out of retirement to help them out , as they were great to me in Richmond VA