what are the average per mile rates for LandStar Express America?

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lift gate a big plus at Landstar. More freight choices. Plan on a hard first couple of weeks. That said, when it’s all said an done, this is a great company to work at.

Reactions: TeamHutch and Greg

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Treadmill, beachbum, and TeamCaffee are steering you straight. I run solo @ LEA and it is a great carrier for a self starter. They will not hold your hand, there is no central dispatch, so it is up to you, as an owner operator to run your business as you see fit. Be proactive. You are starting a new business, treat it as such and you will do just fine. Make sure you understand that the shipper is not your only customer, agent (broker) relations are key.
Best of luck to you

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It want be long he will have to change his screen name to: HaulTowTravels

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Treadmill, beachbum, and TeamCaffee are steering you straight. I run solo @ LEA and it is a great carrier for a self starter. They will not hold your hand, there is no central dispatch, so it is up to you, as an owner operator to run your business as you see fit. Be proactive. You are starting a new business, treat it as such and you will do just fine. Make sure you understand that the shipper is not your only customer, agent (broker) relations are key.
Best of luck to you
I am a self started and owned a fleet of trucks before at the camper hauling gig. You say "no central dispatch" what does that mean? I am familiar with central dispatch and assumed this is no different... with central i had to call the brokers, negotiate price and terms, and deal direct with clients... this is WORSE? or hopefully better?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am a self started and owned a fleet of trucks before at the camper hauling gig. You say "no central dispatch" what does that mean? I am familiar with central dispatch and assumed this is no different... with central i had to call the brokers, negotiate price and terms, and deal direct with clients... this is WORSE? or hopefully better?
At many ( most?) Expedite carriers, you contact the dispatch dept with updates and availability. This is not how LEA works. While there is an operations dept @ headquarters, they do NOT provide you with loads. Each agent "dispatches" each truck on their loads, if you agree to the terms of the load(s) offered.

Reactions: TeamHutch

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
At many ( most?) Expedite carriers, you contact the dispatch dept with updates and availability. This is not how LEA works. While there is an operations dept @ headquarters, they do NOT provide you with loads. Each agent "dispatches" each truck on their loads, if you agree to the terms of the load(s) offered.
isnt that how central dispatch works? what do you mean each "agent" dispatches each truck...who are the agents? dont i get to cherry pick loads from a general board offered by the agents? I am realizing there is a learning curve to this.

Last edited:

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I just learned my truck can haul 20,000lbs. is that good, bad, or average? I have a drop axle that helps add that weight. Also what should i register it for? origional sticker says 33,000 gvwr ...truck weights 26,000 empty and the tag drop axle adds 13,500 lbs of lift. The stickers on outside of truck say 48,000 GVW. Sorry its been a while since i hauled and a bit rusty at this, and MUST register/plate the truck tomorrow and want to get the correct plate.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Look at door jamb.
Probably a 12,000 steer axle.
Figure 34,000 on rear for 46,000.
48,000 is probably only s few bucks more, so that’s what I’d plate it at.
That doesn’t allow you to exceed the 12/34 but there are states that allow more than 34,000 on a tandem.
I wouldn’t get too close to that gross until you’ve scaled a few loads so you know how to distribute the weight.

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Isnt 22,000 lbs the most i can carry if truck weighs 26,000? Truck has a gvw of 48000

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You cannot exceed any axle.
Probably 12,000 on the steer.
And 34,000 on the rears with axle down.
46,000 minus 26,000 is 20,000 payload.
Does the 26,000 include you, full fuel tanks, and unloading equipment/personal stuff.
Liftgate usually requires pallet jack.
I’d start at 16-17,000 and see where it goes.
Typically your heavier loads will be your cheaper loads.
I seldom had Over 5,000 lbs in my 22 foot reefer.

Somebody with a similar truck, hauling less specialized freight than I hauled , can probably give better advice.

Reactions: beachbum

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
You cannot exceed any axle.
Probably 12,000 on the steer.
And 34,000 on the rears with axle down.
46,000 minus 26,000 is 20,000 payload.
Does the 26,000 include you, full fuel tanks, and unloading equipment/personal stuff.
Liftgate usually requires pallet jack.
I’d start at 16-17,000 and see where it goes.
Typically your heavier loads will be your cheaper loads.
I seldom had Over 5,000 lbs in my 22 foot reefer.

Somebody with a similar truck, hauling less specialized freight than I hauled , can probably give better advice.
that is very helpful to know! surprised to read that the heavier loads pay less. Last question which is really starting to get off track but what do i need for loading the load, and securing it? How much physical work is needed to load and unload? Do i drive forklifts? Do i load and unload everything? what so i use inside the box to make sure the load is secure enroute?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Generally not too labor intensive.​
No forklift driving.
If the forklift driver is abusing your truck you’ll generally say I’ll help you, drop the pallets at the door and I’ll load them with my pallet jack.
You’ll need etrack. The metal rail bolted to wall with slots every two inches.
I recommend one 2 inches off floor to grab pallets, one at 1 ft, 2ft, 3ft, and maybe eye level.
This is more than a lot of trucks have. The more you have the better you can secure and the easier your job will be.
I had six or seven rows in my last truck.
Then you need some Load bars that fit into etrack , 6 minimum, and straps. 12 & 20 footers are the more common. 6 of each.
If you’re going to run west, a dozen or two moving pads to haul slot machines. And grab a dozen plastic corner protectors.
I recommend New Haven Equipment for pads.
They’ll also have bars and straps.
Good Luck.
And buy a good quality pallet jack.

Reactions: RoadTime

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
you know you guys really are pretty helpful in this forum, i am impressed for what little its worth. Wonder if there is a youtube video on this. Do they cart everything into and out of the the box? Do i do all of that? What are "load bars"? (yes i'll use google and try to research). 12 and 20 foot what? I only have experience basically hauling and strapping cars on a flatbed. Where else can i buy moving pads? (buy 24 of them?) yes i'd LOVE to haul slot machines!! I heard they pay well and i plan to run west as much as i can. Again thanks for your advice, all of you guys. Perhaps I will visit her more often and try to give back with my own accumulated advice.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Securement is a bigger issue at Landstar than other carriers than what I hear.
A weirder assortment off odd freight.
Less forgiving than other carriers over simple violations, from what I’ve been told.
The is really no excuse for a professional to get a securement violation.

If you want PROFESSIONAL PAY you must perform like a PROFESSIONAL.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
12 & 20 foot straps to hook into the etrack.
Different customers have different procedures.
Typically they’ll load and unload you unless a pallet jack is requested. A liftgate required usually means no dock. No dock often means no workers. Expect it to be on you.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
you know you guys really are pretty helpful in this forum, i am impressed for what little its worth. Wonder if there is a youtube video on this. Do they cart everything into and out of the the box? Do i do all of that? What are "load bars"? (yes i'll use google and try to research). 12 and 20 foot what? I only have experience basically hauling and strapping cars on a flatbed. Where else can i buy moving pads? (buy 24 of them?) yes i'd LOVE to haul slot machines!! I heard they pay well and i plan to run west as much as i can. Again thanks for your advice, all of you guys. Perhaps I will visit her more often and try to give back with my own accumulated advice.
Google:
Decking beam or shoring beams
Moving pads - thicker is better and worth the extra cost
12 and 20 ft e track straps