Continuous DEF Problems with Sprinters

James Dylewski

New Recruit
I bought a sprinter RV 2011 MB chassis with 14500 miles on it . And on the drive away from buying it the engine light came on got towed and MB replaced EGR valve out of dealer @14608 miles drove 823 miles to next dealer they replaced nox out @15345 miles drove 3454 miles to next dealer they did IQT out @ 18799 miles,..Now I sit at another dealer with about 20689 miles waiting for a engine light problem to be fixed so I got 1890 miles on the last fix ..This is from March 17th 2017 to Oct 5th 2017 I am at my 4th Dealer visit in 6 months and drove only 6189 miles
Totally MB needs to fix this issue

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Went through a spell of this (lightly). Flared up with to much urban driving. Used "stiction eliminator" products. And anything else to reduce smoking & clean system, always additive in fuel.
Never use bio-diesel! Burn #1 diesel if possible, in Illinois fuel only from "Casey's or Kroger" (no bio-d) NEVER buy fuel in truck stop! Never buy DEF in truck stop.

You can't drive a "def" motor the way your use too. You drive the "emissions system". Which means easy on the gas, no jackrabbit. key is if you smoke, you choke ....... Literally in this case.

Solved the whole issue, traded in the sprinter for a gas transit.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Went through a spell of this (lightly). Flared up with to much urban driving. Used "stiction eliminator" products. And anything else to reduce smoking & clean system, always additive in fuel.
Never use bio-diesel! Burn #1 diesel if possible, in Illinois fuel only from "Casey's or Kroger" (no bio-d) NEVER buy fuel in truck stop! Never buy DEF in truck stop.

You can't drive a "def" motor the way your use too. You drive the "emissions system". Which means easy on the gas, no jackrabbit. key is if you smoke, you choke ....... Literally in this case.

Solved the whole issue, traded in the sprinter for a gas transit.
See now I never bought DEF at the store and always at the truck stop. NEVER had a problem with it because of the high turnover of product and it was at least half the price of the stuff in the store. Why pay more for DEF in the store especially if you CAN’T decipher expiration code on box. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Reactions: FlyingVan

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most Walmarts install a dust like substance on the DEF box to let you know it's well seasoned and extra special....see it all the time.

kevin W4KVZ

Rookie Expediter
Researching
In short, everything with a DEF system has had big problems since it’s implementation. All of the big truck manufacturers( Peterbilt, Kenworth, Volvo etc.) All have been plagued with this problem. The issue relates to the DEF system not removing the carbon fast enough and destroying the EGR systems. Engine oil itself building up with carbon, constantly replacing EGR cooler etc. This is a diesel industrywide issue not specific to the sprinter vans. The government demanded the implementation of these emissions systems long before they were ready for use.They’re just starting to work the way they were supposed to in the beginning. The worst years for these problems are 2013 through 2016. Everyone with a current diesel with a DEF system seems to be having all of the same problems. Just my two cents

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
In short, everything with a DEF system has had big problems since it’s implementation. All of the big truck manufacturers( Peterbilt, Kenworth, Volvo etc.) All have been plagued with this problem. The issue relates to the DEF system not removing the carbon fast enough and destroying the EGR systems. Engine oil itself building up with carbon, constantly replacing EGR cooler etc. This is a diesel industrywide issue not specific to the sprinter vans. The government demanded the implementation of these emissions systems long before they were ready for use.They’re just starting to work the way they were supposed to in the beginning. The worst years for these problems are 2013 through 2016. Everyone with a current diesel with a DEF system seems to be having all of the same problems. Just my two cents
I suggest you read how all these systems (DPF, DEF, EGR) work before writing a bunch of nonsense.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Reactions: coalminer

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Tripping over mouse turds again.
Despite defining the dpf as def it is a valid statement.
They take to much babysitting.

mechanics are not mechanics anymore just parts swappers based on what software tells them (aka computer) (few exceptions G t-shirt comes to mind)
Computer looks @ same problem on 2 different vehicles and gives 3 different answers. Programmers don't know why.

Don't know about the "safe year spread" help a guy with an 05 sprinter recently. Had more issues than Kleenex got tissues. A neglected vehicle I suspect.

Bottom line:
If it's harder than it needs to be & more complicated than necessary it's probably government mandated

Reactions: Grizzly and xmudman

kevin W4KVZ

Rookie Expediter
Researching
I suggest you read how all these systems (DPF, DEF, EGR) work before writing a bunch of nonsense.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

kevin W4KVZ

Rookie Expediter
Researching
I have over three million miles in big trucks.I get a new truck every 300,000 miles, which is about every 2 to 2 1/2 years. I’be probably spent more time at the Peterbilt dealer having EGR coolers repaired and replaced because of the DEF system then you have on the road. I’ve been dealing with this problem for years and years talking to tech after tech. You’re not getting enough attention as a child is no reason to be rude.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have over three million miles in big trucks.I get a new truck every 300,000 miles, which is about every 2 to 2 1/2 years. I’be probably spent more time at the Peterbilt dealer having EGR coolers repaired and replaced because of the DEF system then you have on the road. I’ve been dealing with this problem for years and years talking to tech after tech. You’re not getting enough attention as a child is no reason to be rude.

Kevin, too bad that after all those millions of miles you still don't know what DEF does. Even though some of the things in your post are true, you loose credibility when you post nonsense about the DEF system.

BTW, it is ok to disagree with what other members say, but it is not ok to call them names. Please refrain from that in the future.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Kevin, no one disagreed with the sentiment of your post...that these systems are trouble...what was called into question was your technical reasoning. I am a fully certified tech and while doing expedite I still work with some fleets on their maintenance issues.

DEF has nothing to do with carbon...or soot or any kind of "solid" emission from an engine. It is there solely to work as a reactant to reduce NOx gasses. Yes the system is trouble sometimes but it is purely an AFTERtreatment system... 100% post engine.

The DPF is also an AFTERtreatment system designed to clean up the "solids" in the exhaust once they LEAVE the engine. A malfunctioning DPF system, especially if it causes a high restriction (plugs up more than it should) can sometimes result in a slight increase in soot in the engine, but usually results in performance (power) complaints or check engine lights/limp mode long before the excessive restriction would start to back up any soot.

The EGR system can and does cause most of what you posted. It introduces cooled exhaust gasses back into the intake to control NOx during the actual combustion event in the cylinders. Malfunctioning EGR systems cause all sorts of grief because it can also highly affect the other 2 systems by making them work way harder BECAUSE it affects in engine combustion.

Some agricultural engines use no EGR but use DEF only to control NOx...they use a lot more DEF but a very very reliable and mostly trouble free.

In all your talking to techs in your millions of miles please keep this in mind, it's an unfortunate fact that sometimes a tech or service writer may not exactly tell you the full story either because they may not know it...or they just want to tell you something so the conversation will be brief so they can get on with thier work. I hate to admit it but I've done it...countless times...when I shouldn't have.

kevin W4KVZ

Rookie Expediter
Researching

Kevin, too bad that after all those millions of miles you still don't know what DEF does. Even though some of the things in your post are true, you loose credibility when you post nonsense about the DEF system.

BTW, it is ok to disagree with what other members say, but it is not ok to call them names. Please refrain from that in the future.
Nowhere in my comment did I call you a name. What I stated is common knowledge, I’m surprised more people aren’t aware of it. Maybe what we should do at this point is that you contact the engineers at Detroit, Cummings, Paccar, Peterbilt, Volvo, MAC and Freightliner. Because they are all under the impression that as the efficiency in the DEF system decreases the carbon starts to build up behind it. That carbon has to find a place to go and it starts to build up in different parts of the engine. Primarily the build up starts to happen in the EGR system and even the oil itself. You can explain to them how they been wasting their time for the last few years using cook off on the ceramic particulate filters to try to clear the carbon buildup that causing excessive regens. I’m sure they will be excited about you calling and dazzling them with all of your diesel brilliance. After all you’re in Expiditer. All I stated was that all DEF systems are having the same issues regardless of the manufacture of the vehicle. Have a Midol and a cup of hot tea.

kevin W4KVZ

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Kevin, no one disagreed with the sentiment of your post...that these systems are trouble...what was called into question was your technical reasoning. I am a fully certified tech and while doing expedite I still work with some fleets on their maintenance issues.

DEF has nothing to do with carbon...or soot or any kind of "solid" emission from an engine. It is there solely to work as a reactant to reduce NOx gasses. Yes the system is trouble sometimes but it is purely an AFTERtreatment system... 100% post engine.

The DPF is also an AFTERtreatment system designed to clean up the "solids" in the exhaust once they LEAVE the engine. A malfunctioning DPF system, especially if it causes a high restriction (plugs up more than it should) can sometimes result in a slight increase in soot in the engine, but usually results in performance (power) complaints or check engine lights/limp mode long before the excessive restriction would start to back up any soot.

The EGR system can and does cause most of what you posted. It introduces cooled exhaust gasses back into the intake to control NOx during the actual combustion event in the cylinders. Malfunctioning EGR systems cause all sorts of grief because it can also highly affect the other 2 systems by making them work way harder BECAUSE it affects in engine combustion.

Some agricultural engines use no EGR but use DEF only to control NOx...they use a lot more DEF but a very very reliable and mostly trouble free.

In all your talking to techs in your millions of miles please keep this in mind, it's an unfortunate fact that sometimes a tech or service writer may not exactly tell you the full story either because they may not know it...or they just want to tell you something so the conversation will be brief so they can get on with thier work. I hate to admit it but I've done it...countless times...when I shouldn't have.
All sounds great, you obviously read a few online articles and looked at a few diagrams. Tell me this, what happens when the efficiency of the def heating process is reduced. What happens to the excess carbon in the exhaust that can’t escape the system?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Nowhere in my comment did I call you a name. What I stated is common knowledge, I’m surprised more people aren’t aware of it. Maybe what we should do at this point is that you contact the engineers at Detroit, Cummings, Paccar, Peterbilt, Volvo, MAC and Freightliner. Because they are all under the impression that as the efficiency in the DEF system decreases the carbon starts to build up behind it. That carbon has to find a place to go and it starts to build up in different parts of the engine. Primarily the build up starts to happen in the EGR system and even the oil itself. You can explain to them how they been wasting their time for the last few years using cook off on the ceramic particulate filters to try to clear the carbon buildup that causing excessive regens. I’m sure they will be excited about you calling and dazzling them with all of your diesel brilliance. After all you’re in Expiditer. All I stated was that all DEF systems are having the same issues regardless of the manufacture of the vehicle. Have a Midol and a cup of hot tea.

Kevin,

I get it now. You drove all your millions of miles and talked to many engineers, and you drive a bigger truck than us lowly expediters so you must know more than we do. Am I right? I still think that you don't know what you are talking about. Read again the post of Piper1 above.

Now listen very carefully. Your 2 comments above (the child comment and the midol comment have nothing to do with the subject of this thread, they were directed at me. I ask you again to stop this.If you continue, your privileges of playing in our expediter sandbox will be restricted or removed altogether.

kevin W4KVZ

Rookie Expediter
Researching

Kevin,

I get it now. You drove all your millions of miles and talked to many engineers, and you drive a bigger truck than us lowly expediters so you must know more than we do. Am I right? I still think that you don't know what you are talking about. Read again the post of Piper1 above.

Now listen very carefully. Your 2 comments above (the child comment and the midol comment have nothing to do with the subject of this thread, they were directed at me. I ask you again to stop this.If you continue, your privileges of playing in our expediter sandbox will be restricted or removed altogether.
No, I’ve had enough time in the big trucks. I joined this site to look into expediting as a change of pace. You can say I don’t know what I’m talking about, but that doesn’t actually mean I don’t. You started this with your self-righteous nonsense comment about my first post. Now you’re threatening to kick me off the forum because I responded to your comment. If that’s the way you guys here are, then go ahead.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Kevin,

Like piper1, I'm also a fully certified tech. Everything that piper1 said, including having to feed customers the occasional load of bull, is totally true. You've been fed some misinformation.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app