It’s 2018. Come on In

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
MT, headed for Carlisle, PA. The formerly trusty Espar will not fire. Dang I hate the thought of going to a Thermo King for the fix......

Reactions: ntimevan

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Tuesday morning I got back in service and since here at the house it was about 5 degrees I decided to give the truck a try to see if it would start. I never started it in that kind of cold so I was curious. I have to say that it started right away which I was quite pleased with. I let it idle for a while to get the juices flowing and all of a sudden I hear an explosion under the hood followed by a quite loud ruckus that I have never heard before. I shut it down quickly and I found the air line from the air compressor busted. The hose is attached to the connector with a crimped piece of metal. This piece was rusted all the way through and the hose came right off the fitting. So it was time to put myself out of service again. A call to the Freightliner dealer revealed that they have the air line in stock for about $70 so I went to pick it up. By the time I got back with the hose it was too dark to attempt to replace it.

Today I waited until the temp got up to 25 degrees to attempt a repair and all went great. I have to decide if I want to get back in service today or wait until next week. I really don't feel like going north in these temperatures.

So I really started the year great. Can you imagine if this would have happened somewhere on the side of the road instead of my driveway? I would have needed a tow and who knows how much for the repair. Easily over a grand. I am happy I got it fixed for only $70.

It's interesting that whenever I call the Freightliner dealer for a part they always have it in stock. I am used to my vanning days when about 50% of the time when I would need a part they would need to order it.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
FV couldn't agree more, came home. Tired a sitting & freezing for nothing.
Forecast says Monday warmer

Reactions: ntimevan

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And WE are home!
giphy.gif