The latest new Load One custom

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A team just won't fit... not really even close. We have to have a lot more than just a bigger mattress for a team... a lot more room for personal gear, food, etc.

We went the other way, removing the passenger seat to make room to move the refrigerator and microwave out of the bunk area to make more/better space for personal gear. It also gives us a better place for all the Qualcomm gear.

These are optimized for a solo driver and making money... they can't be designed to properly have a team AND still remain under 10,001 GVW.

Sent from my SM-N900V using EO Forums mobile app

Hey, if it works for you, it works for you! As for me, I agree with Squid above; four skids and a team sized sleeper is what I’d prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A team just won't fit... not really even close. We have to have a lot more than just a bigger mattress for a team... a lot more room for personal gear, food, etc.

We went the other way, removing the passenger seat to make room to move the refrigerator and microwave out of the bunk area to make more/better space for personal gear. It also gives us a better place for all the Qualcomm gear.

These are optimized for a solo driver and making money... they can't be designed to properly have a team AND still remain under 10,001 GVW.

Hey, if it works for you, it works for you! As for me, I agree with Squid above; four skids and a team sized sleeper is what I’d prefer.

A team adds weight and reduces space for freight. For under 10,000 lbs. expediters, every pound and inch is critical.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

A team adds weight and reduces space for freight. For under 10,000 lbs. expediters, every pound and inch is critical.

You’d think that could be offset by a team ‘s increased productivity.
Oh Yeah, a crazy solo can equal a team unregulated.

If logs ever come to vans Steve wouldn’t be able to build the 4 pallet, team sleeper fast enough.

Curious, how productive will Load 1 allow a solo van driver to be ?

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Reading through this thread is something else. While it's too wide & long for me, I still see potential. Just from the longer wheel base chassis use if nothing else.
I'm not gonna debate the bits & pieces (regs, ethics, etc.) as I suspect the builder is not a fool (due diligence an all). Damn shame the 3.5 isn't offered (so I learned) in chassis. As was previously mentioned of others I also have my own view (minimalistic).
I am surprised at the "Croids"(sp) mentality though "it's new, it could kill us". Alas like most days this morning I awoke exclaiming "still alive"!!

Reactions: westmicher

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Bump
Curious as to year end results.

Revenue and productivity are probably confidential.

The MPG and % of 4-6 pallet loads hauled would be of general interest.
And has the fleet been increased ?
Edit:
And it wouldn’t be right to criticize the mpg if you don’t know the revenue. They probably offset each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grizzly

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well if Westmicher notices the thread again he might post. He isn’t a big poster. But I can say he has built and added two more in the last quarter. So it must be doing better than his regular vans....

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That would concern me greatly if I were a straight truck O/O there.
The concerned ones would be silent on this site, which is understandable.
The Pom Pom wavers will probably tell us “No Problem “ even if they’re secretly concerned.
From the fleet that wants to “level the playing field.”
I don’t blame John, but I see this as disrespectful to his logging straights.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well I certainly can’t stop a fleet owner from building the truck he wants. You could argue that a lot of ways. Is a tandem axle or tag axle taking freight a tractor should haul? Did the 3 pallet sprinter take freight from the Straight? While another option for our customers it is limited on weight capacity compared to a Straight for sure. I honestly see it as more of a threat to over loaded cube trucks running illegal than the straights for sure.

Level the playing field.... not sure I agree there. We are working hard as hell to give our fleet every competitive advantage possible. We my have shaken the industry for years now but I am against making our fleet a low end commodity based on low price for market share. I think it is very well known we have never been known as a low price carrier. We won’t even use multi carriers as partner carriers. We exceed the insurance and compliance standards and bear the expense that comes with it. We want to represent a better value to our customers. From our fleet to our safety to our people to our technology.

Plus let’s be honest. These units aren’t for public sale. Even if we had 20 of them...would it change the market even .001 percent? Nope.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Somewhat reassuring answer.
As always wanting to be a top performer wherever I was, I’m very sensitive to anything that would affect my earning power, even slightly.
I may over react. I would feel at a disadvantage as a logging straight.
This keen awareness probably caused me unnecessary grief at times, but it may have helped me stay a top performer wherever I was.

Reactions: jelliott

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Does not concern me at all. The loads that go on these 3 vans would not go on my truck anyways cause I don't run cheap. While they run at better rates than a regular van it is still cheaper than what I need. You can argue that they would pay my rate if those vans wouldn't be there, but there are plenty 5k lbs loads that I can run at my rate.

You guys overcomplicate the simple. Why worry about something you cant control? All I worry about is how to run my business more efficiently because that id what I have control over. I run my loads and make money now. If in the future my loads dry up for any reason I will move on. It is that simple.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Exactly what I expected.
If freight is plentiful, why worry ?
Once it slows slightly, I’d fixate on if those vans were affecting me.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I think these vans are cool but again a tiny effect on Load One vs the industry. Things like our driver information app will have a huge effect on our operations and will disrupt the industry a bit to our fleets benefit. It surely isn’t about running cheaper it’s about running smarter. Being percentage based cheap freight doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Exactly what I expected.
If freight is plentiful, why worry ?
Once it slows slightly, I’d fixate on if those vans were affecting me.
What good would it do me if I fixated on these vans? How about if I fixate on NAFTA or if the economy would tank this year or.....
You can worry yourself to death over things that are not under your control. I choose not to. I bag the money while the going is good.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think these vans are cool but again a tiny effect on Load One vs the industry. Things like our driver information app will have a huge effect on our operations and will disrupt the industry a bit to our fleets benefit. It surely isn’t about running cheaper it’s about running smarter. Being percentage based cheap freight doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest.

Are these trucks classified as small straight or sprinter vans? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am surprised someone hasn't stretched a Chevy van....maybe someone has?....we stretch everything else these days...
dg_stretchvan_2004.jpg
Fixed it for you.
stretch van 1.jpg