When Should You Like or Dislike a Post

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A well liked retired poster posted today that she lost her husband of many years.
The post received a like.
Another member recently posted he received a few likes for posting that he was sick or injured.
This week I posted that I often walk a long distance to a restaurant. It received a dislike.

I wish anyone posting a dislike would explain the negative comment. Was he unhappy that I like to walk ?

I post likes when a poster is helpful, witty, or I’m happy for the event that created the post.

I post dislikes if the poster is rude or offensive in a mean manner.

Did somebody “like” the fact that DD’s husband passed. I certainly hope not.

When do you post a like or dislike?

Reactions: ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mods please rewrite the title to be

When should you like or dislike a post ?
Thank You

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I never use the dis-like ... if i like your post .. i give it a Like

If i don't like or care for your post or if i think Your A Jerk .. then i give nothing..

another day .. another bowl of Popcorn

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I never use the dis-like ... if i like your post .. i give it a Like

If i don't like or care for your post or if i think Your A Jerk .. then i give nothing..

another day .. another bowl of Popcorn
You love me .

Seriously, I only use my smartphone and my only option is a like, so, I'm like you, it's either like or nothing.

As to BigStick's point, it does seem odd to give a like when someone posts about their misfortune.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use only my iPhone.
It gives me the full gamut, if I’m logged on the site.
I do most of my reading logged off, as a visitor, so I don’t have the option to like/dislike.
I don’t use the app.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
As relatively new member I feel this is a relevant topic, and learn from it.
What is said to this point matches my values & thoughts as well.

I do not know all the buttons, but it seems as mentioned to be in poor taste or thoughtless. Especially in times of sorrow or misfortune.

Reactions: ntimevan

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There seems to be enough choices on here to give an appropriate response to another person's post.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There seems to be enough choices on here to give an appropriate response to another person's post.

Kind of a double negative deal.
If the post is negative, death, illness, etc I would think a negative response is appropriate.
You should dislike a negative post, not like it.
And the opposite is true.
Just my opinion.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think it’s generally not meant to be meaness.
More a misunderstanding of the process.
I agree. Too much shouldn't be read into a Like, especially on a post that is one of sadness. The reason is, a Like given may simply be a response of support.

The EO app and Tapatalk do not have the various other, wider-ranging responses available (such as the Sad and Bummer options). They are available on the phone, but only if you are using the phone's Web browser. The forum software is designed to be adaptive to all screen sizes, so if using a browser on the phone you will get pretty much the full experience. The app gives you basics.

Reactions: xmudman

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think it’s generally not meant to be meaness.
More a misunderstanding of the process.
I agree. Too much shouldn't be read into a Like, especially on a post that is one of sadness. The reason is, a Like given may simply be a response of support.

The EO app and Tapatalk do not have the various other, wider-ranging responses available (such as the Sad and Bummer options). They are available on the phone, but only if you are using the phone's Web browser. The forum software is designed to be adaptive to all screen sizes, so if using a browser on the phone you will get pretty much the full experience. The app gives you basics.
Good points Turtle.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
If I post a dislike,it's because I fat fingered it on my phone. Mostly post like or agree but if I dislike a post I'll comment my disagreement or post nothing.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My phone only offers Like and Reply. I think the best response to a sad post is to comment appropriately to it; likes don’t matter in this case. Diva needs love and comfort from us.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Turtle

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
maybe there could one for RIP, or we will add you to our pray list., a lot of friends have passed away on here and it is hard sometime, let people know how much they meant to you

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If they meant anything to you they deserve more than an emoji.
Nobody is too busy to type out a few heart felt lines under these circumstances.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nobody is too busy to type out a few heart felt lines under these circumstances.
People grieve in different ways. It's almost never a case of being too busy, but in many cases it's a situation where one simply cannot find the words to adequately express their sadness. On more than one occasion in these forums an event struck me in such a way that I could not respond. Anything I was able to come up with as a response always felt inadequate and thus disingenuous. I feel bad that my lack of response might be interpreted as not caring, but more likely it's the exact opposite. If someone responds to a sad event solely with a "Sad" emoji, it may indicate something far more significant than the emoji itself.

Reactions: jcochristoph

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
People grieve in different ways. It's almost never a case of being too busy, but in many cases it's a situation where one simply cannot find the words to adequately express their sadness. On more than one occasion in these forums an event struck me in such a way that I could not respond. Anything I was able to come up with as a response always felt inadequate and thus disingenuous. I feel bad that my lack of response might be interpreted as not caring, but more likely it's the exact opposite. If someone responds to a sad event solely with a "Sad" emoji, it may indicate something far more significant than the emoji itself.

Good point.