MB Sprinter service life

Pyndyk

Rookie Expediter
Fleet Owner
Hi guys,

What is the average life and mileage of the MB Sprinter van used in expiditipng? When will the cost of the maintainance outweighs buying a new one. Is it reasonable to expect 4 years/500K service life with regular maintenance?

What numbers are reasonable for gas Ford Transit?

Thanks!

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don’t think anyone knows a true life on a Sprinter. I have a 2005 bought new and 860,000 miles. A lot of others have many more miles than I do. Some got out of them only to have headaches in a newer one, or Transit, Promaster. Maintenance cost on those are just as expensive as a Sprinter was when they were new to the market.
I paid mine off early, started putting money in my “ oh no account”, for repairs.

By 500,000 miles you may be on your second transmission, glow plugs, a fuel injector or two. Still cheaper than a new monthly payment.

You have to follow the requirement maintenance schedule and fluids to keep the Sprinter tip top shape, if you want it to serve you well beyond 500,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure what a average life or mileage would be. Many factors for replacement, also to conseder. We are running a 2011 long tall Sprinter with 540.000 miles on it. Until we hit a deer and the insurance company totaled it, I felt the van was at about half life. Now if the engine goes south, would a replacement or major repair make since? Standerd maintenance has been reasonable and somewhat predictable.
Don't have hard numbers for you. But will say we are happy with how the van hauls, drives and it is comfortable.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I had a 2012 MB Sprinter with 410K on it. I had everything replace on the DEF System except the Catalytic Converter at 250K and that's very unheard of. Most people has there replace at 80K to 150K cause they idle, use high % of BioBlend Fuel and using DEF fluid at the pumps. The next thing I replace was the Alternator.

I just hit 410K at the end of November and had to get something's done. New tires, transmission flush, horn fix, oil cooler, service b and a new rear end. Out the door $14,200. After that price was quoted to me, I did a trade in and got a new Sprinter.

There's only one dealership I go to and that MB Of Fort Mitchell KY! Dan will take care of you and Mike the Service Writer and Patrick the mechanic / technician does a awesome job. If your van is ever down they will lone you a Sprinter Van until yours get fix!

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow, at least you have a happy ending.
What may be missed is that if you weren’t in a position to trade, or didn’t want to trade, you needed $14,000 to continue in a 400,000 mile Sprinter.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Well true, I didn't won't to trade cause the engine and transmission was still good. The rear end could last another 100, 1,000, 10,000 ect. You just don't know. If I didn't have $14K I would have fix what I could and hope for the best.

I would say at 400K start looking at a new one!

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A nickel per mile, all miles, would have been $20,500 in a replacement fund.
Hard to do, and harder to keep your mitts off of if you are able to do it.
Not a bad idea to marry a Dutch girl if you get the chance.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I looked up the kbb value of a 400,000 mile Sprinter. Hmmmm.
Each December I would let CIS know the value of my vehicle and adjust my coverage accordingly.
It’s good to get a realistic value so you can plan .
Unless you plan on getting buried in the van, you’ll have to deal with the value sometime.

If you’ve priced caskets recently, getting buried in the van might look good.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I had a 2012 MB Sprinter with 410K on it. I had everything replace on the DEF System except the Catalytic Converter at 250K and that's very unheard of. Most people has there replace at 80K to 150K cause they idle, use high % of BioBlend Fuel and using DEF fluid at the pumps. The next thing I replace was the Alternator.

I just hit 410K at the end of November and had to get something's done. New tires, transmission flush, horn fix, oil cooler, service b and a new rear end. Out the door $14,200. After that price was quoted to me, I did a trade in and got a new Sprinter.

There's only one dealership I go to and that MB Of Fort Mitchell KY! Dan will take care of you and Mike the Service Writer and Patrick the mechanic / technician does a awesome job. If your van is ever down they will lone you a Sprinter Van until yours get fix!

They are good & cheaper than most. Sadly they are among the few (the one in n.olmstead & N.E. of Denver come quickly to mind along with "burdi" in chicago).

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
my last sprinter 2013, got some bad def fluid, place I bought it at did have a shelf life program and, it cost to get it fixed. make sure when you buy your fluid, check shelf life on .