Looking to buy a new van. Transit or Promaster

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm pulling an 18-foot aluminum flatbed single car trailer so It can be multi-purpose... it has easy track installed so I am good to go. Just trying to be versatile. I might do part-time hot shot.. I don't know.... I don't need to run a log book because they go by gross vehicle weight for MC numbers not grossed combined vehicle weight...
You do realize that gvw also include total weight capacity of van plus trailer. Anything over 10001 lbs mean logging and med card along with at least a chauffeur’s license. Otherwise you will be hauling a lot of invisible freight.

Last edited:

Road Pirate

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm pulling an 18-foot aluminum flatbed single car trailer so It can be multi-purpose... it has easy track installed so I am good to go. Just trying to be versatile. I might do part-time hot shot.. I don't know.... I don't need to run a log book because they go by gross vehicle weight for MC numbers not grossed combined vehicle weight...
You do realize that gvw also include total weight capacity of van plus trailer. Anything over 10001 lbs mean logging and med car along with at least a chauffeur’s license. Otherwise you will be hauling a lot of invisible freight.
Glad i brought that up...with all the different combinations, i looked past the log thing...i read it as gross vehicle weight for authority, not gross combined....my authority covers it anyway....i went with the full authority package...... I have a class A CDL I just got my medical card renewed so I'm all good.....like i said, new to this, so information is better than being called a troll

Last edited:

Road Pirate

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah SD requires scaling for combinations exceeding 8,000 lbs and they enforce it.... where as a single van they give you a free pass.
Yeah, none of this bothers, nor scares me...i am excited to do this...kinda gotta go all in...but i feel with my combination of van and trailer will suit my need...im still all in on the 350 Transit. I wont always be pulling the skateboard....i really just want options.... my DOT Buddy told me to buy a dually and I trailer.....thats a little bigger investment i feel i want....I'm looking for versatility.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Road Pirate

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Check in from time to time, or daily.
I’m sure people are interested to see how this works out.

Got that right! This could get interesting.
Well I'm definitely a person that hopes the best for someone, that is truly genuine.... I'm excited to get started on this endeavor. I know I'm not going to get rich but I love driving, and I hopefully can make the best of it.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you spent much time at that LTL company you know 30 Drivers will have about 34 different opinions on most issues.
Your adventures will be educational for some, entertaining for others.
We have lots of people doing lots of things but I don’t think anyone is doing it your way.
Add in changing regulations, and interpretations of the same, and I expect some interesting reading.
Good Luck

Reactions: Road Pirate

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you spent much time at that LTL company you know 30 Drivers will have about 34 different opinions on most issues.
Your adventures will be educational for some, entertaining for others.
We have lots of people doing lots of things but I don’t think anyone is doing it your way.
Add in changing regulations, and interpretations of the same, and I expect some interesting reading.
Good Luck
Agreed... out of the box thinking can draw out some interesting reactions.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You made the right choice last time, make it again ...
Sprinter

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Done. Bought a 2017 sprinter with 206 miles on it. Time to get back at it!!

NICE!
Everything has a way of working itself out. Best of luck & be safe!

I recently had to rent a Sprinter while my trusted chariot was in the shop. A 2017 with 3,200 mi on the odometer.
For one of us to be handed keys to a vehicle with so few miles on the odometer ....
I felt like the valet in Ferris Bueller's Day Off ....

ferris.jpg

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
3 weeks and 9k miles under my belt....the '17 ProMaster 3500 extended is doing the the job fantastically....

Have you used the trailer yet? I had this idea previously, but I've got experience running a company that specialized in hauling cars, and normally single vehicles don't pay well enough to be worth the hassle of adding a trailer to a van. And other than cars, I don't see much use for the trailer. Having to disconnect the trailer every time you load/unload, find a place to let it sit safely, then go pick it back up afterwards just seems to add a lot of unnecessary work to what would otherwise be a very quick, straightforward process. Add to that the fact that you suddenly have to log your time and stop at weigh stations, and it seems to me like van expediting with a trailer would be like swimming with an anchor tied to your foot.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought my Promaster knowing it has a (hopefully beefed up) Caravan powertrain. I believe it has enough of a job pulling itself around. Add a trailer? Not this guy!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Road Pirate

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
3 weeks and 9k miles under my belt....the '17 ProMaster 3500 extended is doing the the job fantastically....

Have you used the trailer yet? I had this idea previously, but I've got experience running a company that specialized in hauling cars, and normally single vehicles don't pay well enough to be worth the hassle of adding a trailer to a van. And other than cars, I don't see much use for the trailer. Having to disconnect the trailer every time you load/unload, find a place to let it sit safely, then go pick it back up afterwards just seems to add a lot of unnecessary work to what would otherwise be a very quick, straightforward process. Add to that the fact that you suddenly have to log your time and stop at weigh stations, and it seems to me like van expediting with a trailer would be like swimming with an anchor tied to your foot.
I haven't hooked my trailer to it yet.... I seem to be doing pretty good just picking up two or three skids here and there...