Looking to buy a new van. Transit or Promaster

TSXpress2015

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just recently had my 2015 MB 2500 extended totaled. I am wanting to know what others have to say regarding the transit and the promaster. Engine life expectancy, comfort, value, handling. I won't go the route of MB. It's hard to find a shop that will do repairs on them, and they're extremely costly no matter what the repair. I'm sure the others aren't cheap, but it's a lot easier finding a ford or dodge garage.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have found that Sprinters are cheap to fix, you get what you pay for. Stick with longevity. How many miles are were on your 15 Sprinter?

Reactions: Steady Eddie

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have found that Sprinters are cheap to fix, you get what you pay for. Stick with longevity. How many miles are were on your 15 Sprinter?
agreed....most things are straight up mechanics and don't require a sprinter tech...those dealers can be killers...if you buy your parts from places like Rock Auto and Euro parts ahead of time...you can save a whack off dealer prices....
example I bought an AC compressor with dryer included with FREE shipping for $365.....dealer price $1195 with NO dryer which was like another $150....been 4 yrs now and still working great..I got my moneys worth...

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I am not nearly knowledgeable to give my opinion, but i will say i drove 2 different promasters for 2 different owners, one from mileage 150k-200k one from 20k to 50k.

Slow accelerations, smooth braking, regular oil changes and maintenance....i never had one single issue with either of them. The second one even pretty much stayed idling for AC.

All i know is im for sure getting a gas engine van. Unless i find a wheelchair van for cheap (with the raised back doors so i can be considered a "sprinter") ill probably stick with promaster.

But like i said, i have no idea whats best, im relatively new, just giving my experience with promasters.

Reactions: ntimevan and kg

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
OVM has the right of it. Sadly without a mechanic in the pocket you're a hostage. Most of the components are "mated" to the vehicle computer. This is extensive, even the stupid little motor on the EGR.
A mechanic needs to know & have the ability to deal with that.

I did much of my own work but still ran to the dealer to get it "mated".
Cheaper but it gets old after awhile.

Reactions: ntimevan

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Tsx I read your post on that incident.

As far as your stated topic; while I have an EL high roof transit I have the 3.7. I burn the hi-test in it (recommended in owners manual & it downshifts less).
I did not choose the 3.5 for 2 reasons.
(1) My sprinter turbo fried @ 97k, it took the regional guy ( many phone calls) to get it fixed under warranty the dealer claimed it a 10k repair (learned later it was 2.5k). Gurley Leap Mtrs. in Mishawaka were the crooks involved.
So I'm gun shy on a repeat.
(2) I got the 4.10 LS axle. I knew those tires had to go (235/65/16) odd size with no options (went to 225/75/16) common & everywhere.
Didn't really believe the 3.31 axle could deal with that.

I have since learned others here have done that with no stated Ill effects (@ 245)75/16 no less)
My mileage is the same as 3.5 from what I've read here. I drive 60-63 with 17 - 20mpg.
The sprinter was more comfortable, this will do (@ half the price).
My 2¢

schwanman

Expert Expediter
agreed....most things are straight up mechanics and don't require a sprinter tech...those dealers can be killers...if you buy your parts from places like Rock Auto and Euro parts ahead of time...you can save a whack off dealer prices....
example I bought an AC compressor with dryer included with FREE shipping for $365.....dealer price $1195 with NO dryer which was like another $150....been 4 yrs now and still working great..I got my moneys worth...
I'm still trying to find a mechanic who will do labor in Toledo (gas engine).
It's like taking eggs and bacon to a restaraunt and asking to prepare. Lol
Any referrals would be welcome!

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm still trying to find a mechanic who will do labor in Toledo (gas engine).
It's like taking eggs and bacon to a restaraunt and asking to prepare. Lol
Any referrals would be welcome!
For those rare gas Sprinters?
Of course I have to sign off parts warranty on thier part but the labourportion still applies I have run into the problem of customer supplied parts being a no no

Reactions: schwanman

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did not choose the 3.5 for 2 reasons.
(1) My sprinter turbo fried @ 97k,
Engines with turbos require some extra thought and effort. Let the engine warm up before driving. Drive slow for the first few miles and go easy with the accelerator. This allows warn oil to flow to the turbo bearings. Before shutting down, idle for a minute or two to let the turbo spool down and stay lubricated.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also, won't lots of mountainous driving fry turbos?

Only 97K ... woof .. that ain't much at all ...

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app
Drove my sprinter in the mountains and anywhere else you can think of (no water though) and haven't managed to fry the turbo in 775k miles.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Same here ... I got 608K on mine ...

Couple of years back I was speaking to a guy that owned a shuttle company in the Rockies. Ran Sprinters from the airport in Denver to Aspen, Vail, etc ... frying turbos was his #1 headache.

I said lots of mountainous driving :)

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Couple of years back I was speaking to a guy that owned a shuttle company in the Rockies. Ran Sprinters from the airport in Denver to Aspen, Vail, etc ... frying turbos was his #1 headache.
Maybe he could alleviate that headache by educating his drivers about turbo engines.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe he could alleviate that headache by educating his drivers about turbo engines.

Maybe ... simply reporting what I heard out in the field ....

I go out west more than most but I have no idea how a properly cared for turbo would perform under those conditions. Daily back & forth through the Rockies has to put that component under mucho stress ...

dpf filters was his #2 headache ... lol

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe ... simply reporting what I heard out in the field ....
I go out west more than most but I have no idea how a properly cared for turbo would perform under those conditions. Daily back & forth through the Rockies has to put that component under mucho stress ...
I suppose a turbo would work harder at higher altitudes to supply the same amount of air to the engine that is required at lower elevations. Constant high altitude driving could lead to premature turbo failure.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would be looking into a turbo upgrade.

I imagine there’s special turbos for high altitudes.
Edit:
A quick google search will show many aftermarket high altitude turbochargers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steady Eddie