Best Cargo Van for New Owner/Operator

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I drive a box .. with a cargo can I would probably do more given than I don't have to deal with regulations.
If that's true, then I can't imagine why you'd want to be in a straight truck instead of a cargo van.

In any case, what may be good or bad miles for you in a straight truck has about as much place in this thread as what kind of hot sauce you like. And when you do things like use your miles in a straight truck to belittle someone in a cargo van over their mileage goals, you start creating problems for yourself.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
I spoke with a recruiter from A+ Expediting. I was responding to recent ad looking for cargo vans.

I also noticed some expedite companies looking for cargo vans on craigs list. TLC Express is one name that comes to mind.

I also noticed 14 different ads on Expediters Online looking for cargo vans. Square One Transport state specifically that they will accept a van with the minimum requirements of 110" length, 48" width, and 48" height with 2500 lbs. weight which would qualify a Chevy Express van.

It seems to me that finding a company that will hire a cargo van is not the problem. Recruiter from A + Expediting told me that cargo vans are easier to maintain in her opinion.
Minimum requirements =
Minimum pay.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
He's determined, he'll learn eventually, maybe?
Once again I've learned in this thread as with others.
Maybe one day I'll have the Christmas pie & my thumb will have the plum on it.

Course by that time the pie will post on Facebook about how I mole - ested it and should be dismissed from expediting. Pies nationwide will chime in claiming plum abuse. Pumpkin, lemon, key-lime, even apple.
I'll be drawn an quartered by vans of all makes. Only after the body parts cool will anyone think ... gee there is no plums in pumpkin, lemon, key-lime or Apple pies......duh??!

4 the record I don't care for moles & damn sure don't wanna "ested" one.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He's determined, he'll learn eventually, maybe?
Once again I've learned in this thread as with others.
Maybe one day I'll have the Christmas pie & my thumb will have the plum on it.

Course by that time the pie will post on Facebook about how I mole - ested it and should be dismissed from expediting. Pies nationwide will chime in claiming plum abuse. Pumpkin, lemon, key-lime, even apple.
I'll be drawn an quartered by vans of all makes. Only after the body parts cool will anyone think ... gee there is no plums in pumpkin, lemon, key-lime or Apple pies......duh??!

4 the record I don't care for moles & damn sure don't wanna "ested" one.

I want some of what he’s smoking.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
It's just humors b.stick, just humors.
Usually occurs when I'm stressed, more stress = more humors.

It's a lot worse in combat, a tad more morbid too.

Reactions: BigStickJr

Lane Chase

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hey guys,

Just a quick update and question...I've been watching some YouTube videos recently about one expediter in particular driving a Ford E350 van. Similar in just about every way to cargo dimensions of a Chevy Express.

These videos are dated between the end of 2016 and beginning of this year. This guy had some great weeks ( I counted at least two 3K+ Miles and most pickups were less than 500 pounds. He is driving for a lesser known carrier, but watching these videos gave me some hope that I would be just fine out there in a Chevy Express "flat top".

It's funny because I was a little discouraged after asking my question and receiving all of the responses that I would not be getting freight and in one of this guy's videos, he even mentioned the negativity in these forums.

So I guess my question is, how is it this guy is running so well but I was told I would be lucky to average 1000 miles a week? It seems to me like there are plenty of opportunities out there for "smaller" vans.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey guys,

Just a quick update and question...I've been watching some YouTube videos recently about one expediter in particular driving a Ford E350 van. Similar in just about every way to cargo dimensions of a Chevy Express.

These videos are dated between the end of 2016 and beginning of this year. This guy had some great weeks ( I counted at least two 3K+ Miles and most pickups were less than 500 pounds. He is driving for a lesser known carrier, but watching these videos gave me some hope that I would be just fine out there in a Chevy Express "flat top".

It's funny because I was a little discouraged after asking my question and receiving all of the responses that I would not be getting freight and in one of this guy's videos, he even mentioned the negativity in these forums.

So I guess my question is, how is it this guy is running so well but I was told I would be lucky to average 1000 miles a week? It seems to me like there are plenty of opportunities out there for "smaller" vans.

In early 2017 Vans were officially banned ;)

But seriously, I'm sure they can get the miles with the right carrier. Have to do what works for you and can afford.
That said, lessor known carrier can sometimes mean lessor pay. More miles is not a selling point for me if the pay sucks. Know your numbers before signing or getting to deep into it to see what works best for you.

Reactions: ntimevan

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
If you are set on a non sprinter, look for a van converted to a wheelchair van with a high roof, and most importantly, the raised back doors as well. You can be looked at as a sprinter by most companies in these. I saw a 2012 e350 wheelchair converted van with only like 110k on it for sale for 12 thousand a few months ago, still kicking myself for not buying it (or at least checking it out). Not to mention id get some of my investment back selling the installed wheelchair lift.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Hey guys,

you must be talking about apex, havent seen him post on youtube in a while but i remember this video, i think you should expect somewhere between what that guy WAS getting (that video is like 2+ years old) and the negativity on here. I posted on here years ago when i was a few months into driving tractor trailers, realizing i hated it, wanted to try a van to bring back some of the "fun" of this job, instead of literally only being able to go to a truck stop. People told me i was making a huge mistake, i wont make :censoredsign: compared to the TT....idk if i got lucky but boy were they wrong. I made more money in the promaster driving for an owner than i was making at "take advantage of new drivers and pay them 1/15th of what the load is paying trucking LLC". Doesnt mean you will experience the same, because there was plenty of times :censoredsign: really sucked, but i think you can definately make money in a van. You wont get rich, and it wont be worth it if you dont have a "wanderlust" and just feel awesome about getting to drive all over the country.

The other thing to consider about buying a regular vs high top van, the market is much more heavy with regular vans, expediting aside. You can find a used regular van much more easier than the ideal sprinter for expediting, for a lot less money. So when you consider making back your inital investment, and not just the miles you will get, i think low top wins, considering you were a savvy shopper and found what i call a "just gotta get rid of it" seller.

To me though, the lifestyle is hard enough in a big sprinter, a low van is even worse, you will always crouch and hunch over, besides the money of a load, have less loads meaning more time sitting in a van in a parking lot, which is madness. when you do it for days at a time, you really reconsider everything in your life. So to me its better just for your health to have the bigger vans. thats just me though.

Reactions: RoadTime

Lane Chase

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Yea it was Apex but his last dated video on Youtube is March 2017 so its actually been less than a year since he was rolling. But yea just being out there and getting to see different parts of the country makes up for the sitting time.