FUZZY NOZZLE?

likemlow

Seasoned Expediter
Mechanic
Hi All,
Again, 2012 Hino 258 with the beloved burner system. The atomizer nozzle that has the steel braided line to it is getting plugged up quite often. When we pull it out it looks like greasy spiky fuzz. We clean it by spraying it down with brake clean, wiping it off with a towel, and injecting brake cleaner through it until the spray pattern returns. What is causing this? We did the burner maintenance 30k miles ago. Any input is greatly appreciated.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I saw the title, Fuzzy Nozzle, I was going to suggest penecillin.
I see you have a totally different issue.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I saw the title, Fuzzy Nozzle, I was going to suggest penecillin.
I see you have a totally different issue.
giphy.gif

Reactions: ntimevan

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
So, how are you determining nozzle clogging? A ton of crud on the face of the nozzle is basically normal. Trying to wipe the stuff off of the surface will mash carbon into the orifices, clogging them. Blowing it out with brake cleaner does not always work. There's also an internal, uncleanable filter inside, or so I'm told. Looking at nozzle pressure with DXII is the only sure method to determine if it's clogged.

If carbon is absolutely covering everything, and the ignitors are shorting out, the engine may need new fuel injectors.

I've seen where a failing air compressor pumps up the air system with oily air, overcoming the air dryer, pushing oily air into the atomizer and causing it to fail.

There are many things going on here.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

likemlow

Seasoned Expediter
Mechanic
Thanks for the replies. I'll make sure wrap the nozzle up before inserting it in unknown orifices. The symptom we experience is long regen times. Usually the truck regens for 15-20 minutes. Any longer than that it will get stuck trying to regen for hours. So we pull the truck into the shop, clean the nozzle and the truck returns to normal. Lately it seems we have to do this more often.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Thanks for the replies. I'll make sure wrap the nozzle up before inserting it in unknown orifices. The symptom we experience is long regen times. Usually the truck regens for 15-20 minutes. Any longer than that it will get stuck trying to regen for hours. So we pull the truck into the shop, clean the nozzle and the truck returns to normal. Lately it seems we have to do this more often.
If it tries to regen for hours, it's misfiring or not coming up to temp quickly enough. Many many things can cause this. Nozzle clogging is one, but that's a tiny part of the pic.

Where are you located?

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

likemlow

Seasoned Expediter
Mechanic
We're in Corona CA. We ended up replacing the Atomizer and the nozzle because it was leaking fuel and so much air the truck couldn't build air pressure!! So far so good.