TRANSIT WOES

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember when at L1 and all them trips into Ford KC actually a plant in Liberty north of the assembly plant where they pre assemble the chassis's, Transit was not in production yet....I was told the American engineers did over 100 design changes from the European model, I suppose to put their mark on the model..

Reactions: ntimevan

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And more Transit woes! Went to start my van Monday evening. Barely started and then chugged and died. Cranked but wouldn't start again. So I disconnected the battery to give the system a reboot. Went in and had dinner, reinstalled the battery cable and it started. Called my Ford tech friend where I purchased my Transit. Told him exactly what problems I was having. We talked about 20 minutes and he gives me his diagnosis. He said that the "fuel pump control/driver module" sounded like the issue. He even gave me the part number! So I drove over to the local Ford dealer here in Barstow, CA. They had it in stock and a tech heard me describing the issue and offered to change it right there in the street for $30 cash. The part was $66 including the taxes. So far it's been starting great every time since.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And more Transit woes! Went to start my van Monday evening. Barely started and then chugged and died. Cranked but wouldn't start again. So I disconnected the battery to give the system a reboot. Went in and had dinner, reinstalled the battery cable and it started. Called my Ford tech friend where I purchased my Transit. Told him exactly what problems I was having. We talked about 20 minutes and he gives me his diagnosis. He said that the "fuel pump control/driver module" sounded like the issue. He even gave me the part number! So I drove over to the local Ford dealer here in Barstow, CA. They had it in stock and a tech heard me describing the issue and offered to change it right there in the street for $30 cash. The part was $66 including the taxes. So far it's been starting great every time since.

That sounds exactly like what happens when the bcm does not detect the transponder key, I wouldn't change anything yet, since you unhooked the battery it erased the code but I bet if you would have checked there would have been a code set for it.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
These were the codes.
44e8a9f14de12cb0dea908c6da0ce1b5.jpg

412cf8452734f2d3aaf3caf47e0c0d5f.jpg
290ec35b3c87b7580d35b9b9e4bf78bd.jpg

Reactions: in-Transit

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On with the throttle body issues. I had to replace my throttle body at 172K. It came with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Today my throttle body failed again at 240K. This one had a much shorter life then the original. Fortunately they covered this one under warranty and replaced it within an hour at a dealer I just happened to see along the freeway just north of Dallas. But I definitely like the looks of this one because it was a freebie!
adfd71ba15588217075c397244556718.heic

Reactions: Moot and ntimevan

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On with the throttle body issues. I had to replace my throttle body at 172K. It came with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Today my throttle body failed again at 240K. This one had a much shorter life then the original. Fortunately they covered this one under warranty and replaced it within an hour at a dealer I just happened to see along the freeway just north of Dallas. But I definitely like the looks of this one because it was a freebie!
adfd71ba15588217075c397244556718.heic

They all seem to look really nice when they are on the house.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On with the throttle body issues. I had to replace my throttle body at 172K. It came with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Today my throttle body failed again at 240K.

Same symptoms as the first time?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Same symptoms as the first time?

Exactly! Rougher then normal idle. Then went into limp mode once. Shut down, restart and continue on another week or so. Finally started limp mode about every 30-40 miles. Then after 6-7 shutdowns and restarts, finally threw up a check engine code so then I could get it replaced under the parts warranty.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
@54k I got nothing here, cept a heap more worries now. Alas forewarned is forearmed, truly a thread I will re read several times. Valuable information throughout.
Bailed on a high maintenance sprinter in February. Despite queezy stomach from reading all this I feel costs will be much less even so.
Great discussion, my thanks.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I got a recall notice for condensation pooling on the driver's side floor. The odd thing is I have always had the pooling on the passenger side floor. Has anyone else had this? Has anyone done the recall yet?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got a recall notice for condensation pooling on the driver's side floor. The odd thing is I have always had the pooling on the passenger side floor. Has anyone else had this? Has anyone done the recall yet?

Was that before or after "the submersion experiment"?

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Condensation? Couldn't say, got stuff over there. Sigh! Something else to check & track down ?!

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
68k... oil change today was told I need timing chain guides and should just do the chain at the same time... I hate this van... I want my 800k sprinter back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
68k... oil change today was told I need timing chain guides and should just do the chain at the same time... I hate this van... I want my 800k sprinter back

Hope you trust servicer. Timing chain guides is right ahead of headlamp fluid on the maintenance list

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hope you trust servicer. Timing chain guides is right ahead of headlamp fluid on the maintenance list

Oh unfortunately it’s a very real thing ! And the servicer knew I was out of state and the mechanic is who came and got me and stuck the stethoscope on my head ! Was told the 3.5 has a history or STRETCHING timing chains as well.. I’ll have home base check it out or I’m just going to pull it apart myself AFTER the new year !

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Oh unfortunately it’s a very real thing ! And the servicer knew I was out of state and the mechanic is who came and got me and stuck the stethoscope on my head ! Was told the 3.5 has a history or STRETCHING timing chains as well.. I’ll have home base check it out or I’m just going to pull it apart myself AFTER the new year !

do they really stretch? or does the sprocket wear down...its probably plastic....I replaced mine in my Dodge van with a steel one..never had a problem again...

Reactions: ntimevan