Raised roof & back door cargo vans?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Does anyone know of a place that will convert a extended cargo van to give it a high roof and back doors like the handicap lift vans have?

also with getting this done will i be regarded as a sprinter by carriers i.e how some shippers will request a sprinter van over cargo?

high payload cargo van like e350 ext super duty

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With the new transits and Promaster you will probably have a hard time finding the actual topper as they don't make that style anymore. Shop around and maybe an install company may have one laying around not used.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
With the new transits and Promaster you will probably have a hard time finding the actual topper as they don't make that style anymore. Shop around and maybe an install company may have one laying around not used.
I was thinking there must be some kind of company that did aftermarket custom high roofs for vans. I did find one but i didnt see any that raised the back doors which kinda defeats the purpose.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Try asking the places that do the handicap vans. Although...they'll want to sell you a new van likely.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Try asking the places that do the handicap vans. Although...they'll want to sell you a new van likely.
I talked with s few awhile back and he they told me that with the new transit out their supplier was changing over to the transit roof design and they would not be building anymore of the older style.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
be cheaper to get one of new van's, sent me a pm, we have a lot of sprinters, in stock

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The problem with handicap (paratransit) high roof vans is that most are converted window vans. Also, the extended height doors may give you up to 60" of clearance, but that opening is only about 40" wide at the extension.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The problem with handicap (paratransit) high roof vans is that most are converted window vans. Also, the extended height doors may give you up to 60" of clearance, but that opening is only about 40" wide at the extension.
And top heavy.

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
I considered one of those "handicapper" type vans. But as stated earlier -- lots of windows and ultimately I was able to find a deal on a Transit that met the need. Those high-top V8 vans get crap mileage too. Big consideration for expediting.

Only saw a couple of Chevys around with the topper AND tall rear door mod. Many Ford E-350s though. Someone was cranking those out a few years ago. Could have picked one up (used) for $9500. But in the end, happier with my Transit. The way I've set things up inside, I can strip most of the insulation & trim pieces and move directly to another Transit in a few years when I need another. Whereas the tall roof E-350 was only going to be a stop-gap until the used market for Transits was a bit more saturated and prices came down. By 2020 or so, I expect I'll have a selection of 2016-17s to choose from <$20K with low miles.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you want interior and door height I think buying a used Promaster, Sprinter, Transit or cube van is the way to go.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just get a Sprinter (if you want to help the Charleston SC economy) or a Transit if you insist supporting the rebirth of Detroit :) promasters are junk from the horror stories I've heard so far and they look terrible, slightly better with painted bumpers.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At a car show a few months back I spoke to KITT.
I asked him if he knew any Promasters.
He said yeah, and knowing that I had once expedited, said " BTW, the Promaster thinks most expediters are ugly. "

Reactions: ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Just get a Sprinter (if you want to help the Charleston SC economy) or a Transit if you insist supporting the rebirth of Detroit :) promasters are junk from the horror stories I've heard so far and they look terrible, slightly better with painted bumpers.
I believe purchasing a Transit would help Kansas City economy

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app