tst

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot do you know anything about them? Are most people successful or fail with them? I can’t find anyone that currently works with them so it’s kinda hard to get a positive or negative response
Most of what I know about TST is limited to getting into their Woodhaven location 6 or 8 times a year. The carrier I'm leased with, interlines U.S. to eastern Canadian bound loads through TST. I don't see many TST trucks running the U.S.

As for lease/purchase plans, there is an old saying: Don't lease from the man with the strings in his hand. For many carriers, and I don't know about TST, a lease/purchase plan is also a profit center. For me personally, I would seek a more conventional form of financing. If I couldn't qualify for a loan from a bank, credit union or vehicle manufacturer, I would put off getting into this industry until I could. Many carriers prey on individuals who are desperate to get into trucking but aren't financially able to be successful.

If you are short on cash reserves do not get into expediting!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Making money as a driver in a fleet owner van won't be much but a good way to learn the industry. Keep accurate records of fuel consumption, fuel costs, repairs and all expenses as if you owned the van. This should give you a fairly accurate picture of van ownership and if going that route would be profitable for you. Good luck and with winter here, make sure the owner offers an insulated van with an alternate heat source.

Brent51013

New Recruit
Driver
The van is not insulated yet but they're going to get it done asked me if I minded waiting a couple weeks and I said as long as it gets done but I think I'm Eton ma talk yo em today and have em start on it that way it's done I can't be getting cold all night there is a power inverter so I can get a small heater but won't do much good because inverter shuts off at same time as engine.. I've been told they make between 700 and 1500 a week on good weeks

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't be getting cold all night there is a power inverter so I can get a small heater but won't do much good because inverter shuts off at same time as engine..
Forget the small electric heater. A starting battery or a couple of deep cycles won't power a heater for long. If the owner pays for fuel then idle for heat. If you pay for fuel, stay south of I-10:)

I've been told they make between 700 and 1500 a week on good weeks
That's quite a spread. No mention of mediocre or bad weeks?

You might as well give it a try to see what this expediting thing is all about. If you need a steady income or you are in debt, go find a real job. Driving a cargo van for an owner isn't a very good way to make money but it will be a learning experience.

Brent51013

New Recruit
Driver
It’s a 60/40 split van is now insulated has power inverter and fold down bed with blackout curtains I pay fuel get 30 percent up front other 30 percent withheld and sent as a check after taking out fuel spent on furnished fuel card, workmans comp insurance, 50 escrow until 750 is taken 10 flat rate for tolls and I think that’s it for the deductions

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
It’s a 60/40 split van is now insulated has power inverter and fold down bed with blackout curtains I pay fuel get 30 percent up front other 30 percent withheld and sent as a check after taking out fuel spent on furnished fuel card, workmans comp insurance, 50 escrow until 750 is taken 10 flat rate for tolls and I think that’s it for the deductions
Go for it, good luck & keep posting

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you're paying for the fuel, be sure you're getting the fuel surcharge.

Brent51013

New Recruit
Driver
She said something about there is no fuel reimbursement that's the only thing I was questioning because everyone else said I'd get the fuel surcharge if I paid for fuel

Brent51013

New Recruit
Driver
FINALLY found a fleet owner with Load1 that has a straight truck under 26,000GVWR 40 percent paid to me he pays fuel and all expenses then after a couple months I'll go to 50 percent then to 60 percent after I've been in the truck for awhile the truck has a sleeper and he's putting a vesper heater in too soon as the truck starts rolling again, I just have to wait and see if the driver he's been waiting a few weeks on got his dot physical should know something by tomorrow and have to wait on load1 safety department to approve me the rest of the way.. if I end up not getting it I'm gonna look into a small cube van transit front end with a box that actually has room for a bed and freight hopefully be at orientation somewhere next week

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
She said something about there is no fuel reimbursement that's the only thing I was questioning because everyone else said I'd get the fuel surcharge if I paid for fuel
Perhaps no reimbursement, but there is a fuel surcharge you should get.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
FINALLY found a fleet owner with Load1 that has a straight truck under 26,000GVWR 40 percent paid to me he pays fuel and all expenses then after a couple months I'll go to 50 percent then to 60 percent after I've been in the truck for awhile the truck has a sleeper and he's putting a vesper heater in too soon as the truck starts rolling again, I just have to wait and see if the driver he's been waiting a few weeks on got his dot physical should know something by tomorrow and have to wait on load1 safety department to approve me the rest of the way.. if I end up not getting it I'm gonna look into a small cube van transit front end with a box that actually has room for a bed and freight hopefully be at orientation somewhere next week

Vespar heater? Did Vespa buy out Espar?! jk :D

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm going to be sick.
On the "off - subject" ...
Some marry princess, some queen. Someone marries a cot. (queen size one) There is even one case of guy marrying a vacuum.
Imagine that? Talk about sick.

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

Brent51013

New Recruit
Driver
Welp got my D.O.T. Physical renewed today, tomorrow I’ll be getting my D.O.T. drug test, then bright and early Monday morning I’ll be headed to Michigan to Load1, check into my motel, sleep, get up Tuesday, do orientation, back to motel, sleep, do half a day orientation Wednesday then get on the road. Thanks to Ann in recruiting and Mindy in safety I should have all my qualifications done before ever leaving West Virginia. Ann has been awesome she calls and keeps me updated, she’s gotten everything done super quickly and put me with a GREAT fleet owner.couldnt have asked for a better recruiter or fleet owner they’re making sure everything is easy and possible for me to get all the necessary things done and even helping me with transportation to orientation and to and from motel etc. etc. so it looks like I’ll be on the road Wednesday afternoon some time! I can’t wait to get started!