The FedEx Image

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When I was with FedEx Image seemed to mean everything to them. My latest delivery by FedEx Ground was made in a rusty van with no identification. Also the driver wearing a shirt with unknown colors to me <iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was with FedEx Image seemed to mean everything to them. My latest delivery by FedEx Ground was made in a rusty van with no identification. Also the driver wearing a shirt with unknown colors to me <iframe width="560" height="315" src="
Nothing matters anymore. Just getter done.

Reactions: davekc and Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Maybe image took a back seat to getting the shipment delivered in a timely manner. Would you rather receive your package a day late by a guy in uniform?

Last edited:
Reactions: ALieNUpsTAirS

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Costs/profits trump image.
As customers notice low end partner carriers hauling CC freight, sometimes they've pushed back.
By complaining. Or by trying lower cost options.
Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
More and more people are becoming leftist give it to me you owe me I deserve it I don't want to pay for it or earn it types and it forces the abandonment of image etc..

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While I agree alot with the above.....FedEx also is to blame for the image loss. In their constant search for new not so smart newbs to take advantage of...the standards (at least what I saw at CC) were lowered quite a bit when it came hiring time. Last time I was at HQ (2011) the trucks parked outside for orientation would have been laughed off the lot due to thier condition a few years earlier. While I still see many spotless good looking CC trucks...I see way more that look like crap and don't convey the "premium image" FedEx used to be known for...they are average at best.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
FedEx Ground was originally RPS, all contractors. I believe it is still all contractors. FedEx Ground has enough legal problems dealing with employee/contractor status. I'm sure they don't want to add mandatory uniforms.

I'm a contacted with Panther. I'm not required to wear a uniform but I usually sport the Eldrige Cleaver pants and appropriate toppings. (Note to Cheri1122 who no longer posts here: Years ago I promised to quit the Black Panther references. Sorry I couldn't pass on this one.)
Cleaver pants.gif

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
USPS delivery persons drive around in USPS marked little jeep things but don't wear uniforms and they are employees. Certainly not the way it was. Most if not all Postal employees that work the front counter wear a uniform, at least on top!

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Fedex Ground requires uniforms and has strict limits to appearance of trucks.
Custom Critical decided to allow freedom in truck appearance, but decided to offer $1000 per year if you opted to look the way they really want you to look.

Years ago, CC tried an experiment by allowing a team into White Glove, based on having good teeth. They worked ok for a few years, and they've lowered standards ever since.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Perhaps there were issues with asking contractors to wear uniforms, especially if those uniforms were provided and required by the company. Possible misclassification of contractor and employee. The commercial video was for Ring, not FedEx. Another possible reason for the low level attire and the unmarked vehicle.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Perhaps there were issues with asking contractors to wear uniforms, especially if those uniforms were provided and required by the company. Possible misclassification of contractor and employee. The commercial video was for Ring, not FedEx. Another possible reason for the low level attire and the unmarked vehicle.
It was not a commercial video by Ring. It was a video from my Ring doorbell. (That is me picking up the package)

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Ahhh said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw. :)

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
1st yr with FCC I sported decals, nearly robbed 12 times & 1 attempted hijack. Decals came off.
Have 2 shirts, don't wear them. Folks see logo shirt speak to you like you're their servant & you must ko-toe (sp). Better as "stealth-x".

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had the decals on my van and never had a problem. One time I had someone ask about doing FedEx stuff that we didn't do. I enjoyed those $1,000 checks each year. Of course, that was just the reimbursement for the overcharging for the Qualcomm (C-Link) compared to the actual weekly cost of the system. Still, it was nicer getting it back than not like at other carriers.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
That was the worst, everywhere. "Can you take my package??!!!!" "Do you know where "x" is" !!!???
"Where's the post office"!!???

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!!! Look it up or call somebody !!!! I'll have your job !!!!

You butt munch, think I will call somebody ... The police you don't get your a_s away from me.

That crap ain't worth a thousand to me.