Rate per mile?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is the rate per mile for sprinter van expediting in Illinois?
About .50/mile. That should've been the first thing investigated before buying a sprinter van.
Thanks, I haven't bought the sprinter yet, that's why I asked the question? I'm interested in finding the best truck or van to expedite in And the going rate per mile in Illinois. I don't plan on running more than 400 miles out of Chicago in any vehicle.
That rate that I quoted is accurate for some drivers but the majority make around .85/mi.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK thanks, where do vann expeditors get loads and what would be the best vehicle to get if I decide to expedite?
Your best bet would be to drive for an owner in the type of vehicle you are interested in. Then you can see if this type of work is for you. Hope this helps.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Thanks, I haven't bought the sprinter yet, that's why I asked the question? I'm interested in finding the best truck or van to expedite in And the going rate per mile in Illinois. I don't plan on running more than 400 miles out of Chicago in any vehicle.

If you are entering expediting and plan on NOT being flexible, DON'T DO IT. I'm not trying to be negative. Just trying to be honest. But if you need to be home every weekend, or only stay in a close radius, don't do it. OR, OR, OR, get with a carrier that ONLY needs you specifically for regional work. Don't go into the general world of expediting and think you are going to change it. We all tried. But best wishes in your endeavor!!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I have been working with someone who has their own authority and I now know I am getting ripped off and they are keeping most of the money I earn for them.
I'm done.
Load One or CM.
Neither one pays anything near what you describe but at least I can make a living.

Just don't assume L1 or C&M will just "take you on". Both are great companies with stand-up owners and teams. Don't get offended if they don't want your truck or they don't feel you are right for them. Business is business and it's a two way street. I've been turning down trucks (we only run Sprinter types) for about 4 years now. Not because we're so special, but because there are many planets that need alignment to form that special relationship. And sometimes the carrier "has enough planets". As is the case with us right now. Be aware of carriers that are perpetually adding trucks. Yes, turnover happens. That's life. But if Load-1 or C&M or someone says, "not now" or "check back in 3 months", it's more likely a market decision and not a personal attack. Really. Flooding the market with empty trucks is one major issue with business now. Forewarned.

upload_2017-10-12_23-5-44.png

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If 400 miles is your max, you will not make money in this biz

Sent from my SM-N900T using EO Forums mobile app

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Just don't assume L1 or C&M will just "take you on". Both are great companies with stand-up owners and teams. Don't get offended if they don't want your truck or they don't feel you are right for them. Business is business and it's a two way street. I've been turning down trucks (we only run Sprinter types) for about 4 years now. Not because we're so special, but because there are many planets that need alignment to form that special relationship. And sometimes the carrier "has enough planets". As is the case with us right now. Be aware of carriers that are perpetually adding trucks. Yes, turnover happens. That's life. But if Load-1 or C&M or someone says, "not now" or "check back in 3 months", it's more likely a market decision and not a personal attack. Really. Flooding the market with empty trucks is one major issue with business now. Forewarned.

View attachment 16339
I appreciate your perspective on things.
I have signed on with C/M and we will see how it goes.
Also plan on exploring options with someone here on EO who has been in the biz for many years.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: TeamPaul

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

View attachment 16339
I appreciate your perspective on things.
I have signed on with C/M and we will see how it goes.
Also plan on exploring options with someone here on EO who has been in the biz for many years.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Grabbing the popcorn.

Good luck!

Flash the expeditor

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Negativity never helps, either u have some good info to share or don't share at all. U never know what someone else is doing, where their at or who they know. Just cause you're experiencing something or things not going well for you doesn't mean the next man will experience what you are.

Flash the expeditor

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I hear most are driving for van owners getting paid 60 cent to a buck per mile depending on where they are, but what is the van owner getting paid per mile directly by the shipper per mile? Simply question either you know or not. I'm in Illinois so I'm quoting for Illinois and the Midwest region

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Negativity never helps, either u have some good info to share or don't share at all. U never know what someone else is doing, where their at or who they know. Just cause you're experiencing something or things not going well for you doesn't mean the next man will experience what you are.
No negativity, just by your questions and comments you have a LOT more studying to do.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Flash the expeditor

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
School me! If u expedite a load directly from a shipper driving for yourself in your own cargo van what would u charge per mile on average in the Midwest?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And sometimes the carrier "has enough planets".
I've been referenced to many things in my long career in the transportation industry. Some wouldn't pass the E.O. censor but I have never been called a planet. I like planet! Planet sounds powerful. Can I suck my carrier into my orbit and control them?